Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire and USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Default My vocal recordings are very quiet..,.

My equipment is all set up.. My microphone into the phantom power into the mbox into the laptop (windows)

I record on protools and it is very quiet but the recording bar goes up high as if its hitting high levels, I tried on another program and the same problem occurred.

I know it is a simple issue which im stupidly missing out on, Ive had a few problems with recording since purchasing an mbox 3 and protools, and im slowly regretting coming over to the protools family, I just hope its a simple issue which someone on here can tell me what to do.

I have the microphone settings on full in windows.. its turned up on the phantom power too.. PLEASE HELP!!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Default Re: My vocal recordings are very quiet..,.

Assuming the fader on your vocal track is up at the -0 mark(default level), and assuming you have no plugins that are causing this, look thru the monitoring utility as it likely needs some adjustment(sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't use Mbox)

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayKriDD View Post
My equipment is all set up.. My microphone into the phantom power into the mbox into the laptop (windows)

I record on protools and it is very quiet but the recording bar goes up high as if its hitting high levels, I tried on another program and the same problem occurred.

I know it is a simple issue which im stupidly missing out on, Ive had a few problems with recording since purchasing an mbox 3 and protools, and im slowly regretting coming over to the protools family, I just hope its a simple issue which someone on here can tell me what to do.

I have the microphone settings on full in windows.. its turned up on the phantom power too.. PLEASE HELP!!
If you are comparing what you record to what you hear from a mix then there's many explication. 1 compression of the vocal tracks, 2 mastering. Those two things will have a drastic effect.

https://wn.nr/JWU7cA
Old 10-08-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayKriDD View Post
So is the metering setup for pre-fader in pro tools....

I can't get into the program right now to tell you how to check...but the manual should let you know....how.

is the masterfader up to 0? unity?

You don't have a bunch of effects on the inserts that is squashing the sound right?

your headphone output on the mbox is up all the way right?

you need to adjust your gain on the preamp to be peaking about -6 on the meter scale.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.