Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 AM

Default Re: ssd in drive sled or on pcie card - MacPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yep but loads are one-time, once loaded it just runs. Recording and playback are the things where I'm concerned about storage performance.

It isn't so long ago when we considered shiny new SATA II spinners being more than fast enough. Now that a cheap SSD can use SATA II to its fullest, shouldn't that still be more than fast enough..?

But opinions do vary.
For the most part would be good enough for me. It's just that I can't take the expense at this point in time. My iMac took a non-repairable dump about a month ago but that's a thing for another thread that's here. Working with a 5,1 cheesegrater I got from OWC and slowly building that into a workable system. So money is tight and bang for the buck is my mantra at the moment. And that's why my sample and recording are 4 TB WD Black spinners until such time as ssd's in at least 2 TB become affordable and reliable. System drive to be the aforementioned 850 EVO. I need to get a handle on how this setup will run and eventually when I make the jump from 32 gig ram to 48 gig ram I'll also get the pcie ssd card from OWC to put the 850 on.

The one heartburn I have with either pcie drives is that they show up on the desktop just like any drive connected to the ports on the back of a computer with no apparent way to hide them. I really don't want or need to see drives on the desktop. The only thing I want there is the Dock which sits at the left side of the screen where it's way less of a distraction than at the bottom (tried auto-hiding the Dock; didn't get on with it). Now if someone knows a way to hide them (maybe via Terminal) I'm all ears on that.

QAPLA!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Isn’t that a preference in the finder somewhere...

Says something like “show external drives on desktop”
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

Yes.

Finder (top menu)>Preferences>General
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

I understand that; I phrased my question wrong. I should NOT have made the comparison to external drives connected to a port on the back of the computer like a FW800 port. I should have written: "The heartburn I have is it shows up on the desktop with an external disk graphic and not as the system drive/boot drive that it is. I don't want my system drive showing on the desktop. Is there any way to hide it but show the other drives if I select 'show external drives on desktop'?

QAPLA!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The one heartburn I have with either pcie drives is that they show up on the desktop just like any drive connected to the ports on the back of a computer with no apparent way to hide them. I really don't want or need to see drives on the desktop. The only thing I want there is the Dock which sits at the left side of the screen where it's way less of a distraction than at the bottom (tried auto-hiding the Dock; didn't get on with it). Now if someone knows a way to hide them (maybe via Terminal) I'm all ears on that.
Have you tried
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false; killall Finder
already?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:21 AM

or simply
Code:
chflags hidden "/Volumes/hideme"
Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Have you tried
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false; killall Finder
already?
no I haven't
Quote:
or simply
Code:
chflags hidden "/Volumes/hideme"
nor this one

I re-phrased my question because I asked it wrong. The rephrasing I wrote was that I want to hide just the one drive (the ssd that's going to be my system drive but will reside on a pcie card); that drive ssows/will show up like a drive connected to the back of the computer. I don't want to see the system drive when the other drives external drives show.

QAPLA!
Old 11-07-2017, 03:49 AM

So try those. In the last example you obviously need to replace "hideme" with the name of your drive you wish to be hidden
Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 AM

Default ssd in drive sled or on pcie card - MacPro

To confirm - you just want the drive icon hidden from your desktop yeah? Do you want the other ext. drive icons visible on the desktop? If not, just do what was mentioned above and then access the drives via a finder window.

Also, I believe the chflags command mentioned will hide them from the finder window as well. Essentially, the drive will be mounted but hidden and therefore inaccessible. Not sure that's the best idea for a system drive.

I used to leave my drive icons on the desktop in the past as well, but then realised I NEVER clicked on them. I always accessed the drives via finder windows. Much cleaner desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 05:00 AM

They are still accessible, the flag only hides them from Finder. But they are accessible to the OS and you can still access them using Terminal, and naturally you can change the flag back to nohidden if you want Finder to see it.