Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 PM

Default MBox 2 Mini , getting no levels on mic.

Ok I have recently bought the Marshall MXL v69 Mic, with the Mbox 2 Mini.
as you might no the MXL comes with it's own fanthom power, so the mic is plugged into the phantom, then theres a cable from the phantom power to the MBox mini. and i have installed the software, and the ubs is plugged. made new file, new tracks. i tried to record but i'm not getting any levels from the mic. on my mixer the line is set to In 1-2. it sounds like the microphone is not even turned on. can anyone help me?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 Mini , getting no levels on mic.

i've been in that same situation with my rode nt-2, definitely check the cable because it sounds like every thing was done right, A B it with another condenser, different mics different pull...if your getting some level but not much, it could be a problem with the mic...My experience with LE systems has always been for the most part, cranking a digi hardware preamp leads to poor sound, no matter the mic...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 AM

You have the track you're recording to in Pro Tools set to the correct input (where the mic is plugged on the Mbox) and Record Enabled?
And what input on the Mbox are you connecting the MXL power supply to? A Mic In or a Line In?

You sure the power supply is powered up?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:22 PM

yes i did mention the power supply was powered up. the MBox only has one MXL slot and thats where the mic goes. on the pro tools program it's set corret to IN 1-2. there really isnt any other option. and yeah it's record enable. if u mean i pressed the Pre-Record. like im recording and i just dont get any input.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:46 PM

What position is the Mic/DI button in?
Is the Pad button enabled?
Where is the gain knob set?
Are you seeing any level activity at all on the track meter?
Are you familar with the function of the Mix knob?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM

ok so its like

[Mic/Dl] then [Pad] then MXL socket, then [48 v] then [pad] for input 2 line/Dl.

yeah i bealive the pad is for -db. and im not sure what the Mic/Dl is for.

there's realli only 4 knobs, 1 is for output, like headfones, Mix, input 1 and input 2. when i turn em on max i do get some levels but still ntohing from the microphone. its jsut blank noise. basically

oh and i dont know what the mix window does.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Try setting the Mic/DI button to to Mic.
Disengage the pad.
Set your level using the Input Gain 1 knob.
Make sure the Mix knob is set to the left to listen to source input. (full right is for Mix monitoring only)

I highly recommend you spend some time with the Mbox Mini Getting Started Guide for details on your hardware (like learning to use the Mix knob, etc.), software, and setup & use techniques.

All of the features (knobs, buttons, and I/O jacks) are described and explained in detail in that guide.
Then move along to the PT Reference guide.

If you have no background in DAW use, you will not be able to jump in and start working without reading.