Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Venue and UPS

Can someone please recommend a worthy UPS for a Venue system with foh and stage racks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Venue and UPS

I prefer Fed Ex myself....
Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 PM

They put some APC single rack UPS's (500 VA range) into our new system. I've moved some power around after they finished the install, however.

First of all, the great thing about the Venue is the redundant power supplies. The first one that receives power is the one that the system uses to supply the power unless a problem causes it to switch to the other. With that in mind, I have the following:

One power supply in the profile and one power supply on the FOH rack plugged into the UPS. The monitor is plugged into it as well.

The other power supply for the Profile and FOH rack is plugged into a Furman.

The Furman and the UPS are plugged into different wall sockets. Theoretically (although I didn't check) they are on different circuits.

Similar setup on the Stage rack.

When I power on the system, I power on the Furman first, then the UPS. This way the Digi system uses the Furman for it's main power. I figure it is cleaner than than the UPS power.

Basically, I'm not (typically) pulling any power through the UPS, but if all power goes out, the UPS will still keep it going. And in theory, even if I blow a main breaker, I'm still running. (Well the Digi is still running.)
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig-tx View Post
The Furman and the UPS are plugged into different wall sockets. Theoretically (although I didn't check) they are on different circuits.
This point cannot be overstated. Plenty of people have purchased the redundant power supplies and then plugged them into the same circuit. Tripped breaker, console goes down and then people are mad at Digi. Redundancy depends on the power supplies being fed by separate circuits.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emluper View Post
This point cannot be overstated. Plenty of people have purchased the redundant power supplies and then plugged them into the same circuit. Tripped breaker, console goes down and then people are mad at Digi. Redundancy depends on the power supplies being fed by separate circuits.
That is the reason I reworked the power on the install. Overall I think the installers did an outstanding job. However, when it came to taking advantage of the redundant power supplies, that's where they dropped the ball.

On the FOH rack, they had both power supplies to the FOH rack and both on the Profile plugged into the Furman. It was plugged into the UPS. The UPS was plugged into the wall.

So basically, if the UPS died (which I've seen MANY go bad after a couple of years of service.) Or if the Furman trips... The entire system would go down.

The Stage Rack was the same way. Both power supplies plugged into one UPS.

Too many unnecessary single points of failure.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:06 PM

They did the same thing to us Craig. We noticed it the day we walked in for the first soundcheck after the room install.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 AM

THREE LETTERS-----APC. The 2 Rack space units (1000 watts I think) seem to be the most reliable for touring uses. That we have found anyway.
The single rack space, (I wont mention a name) 500 watt, with dual batteries have had.... ahem .... quality control issues.

Tig
Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 PM

On the single space tripplite, I had the battery connection come loose. Once I got the cover off it was pretty easy to put a zip tie in there where it won't happen again, however it is a pain to do this when you have to pull the thing out of the rack. I would check the battery connections on whatever kind you get before putting it in a rack, especially if it is going out on the road.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 AM

What is the Power Consumption of 1 PSU on a Mix Rack and 1 PSU on a Profile Surface (@240v)?

Trying to work out the size of UPS I need.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiller View Post
What is the Power Consumption of 1 PSU on a Mix Rack and 1 PSU on a Profile Surface (@240v)?

Trying to work out the size of UPS I need.

Cheers
According to the Specs, the Mix Rack pulls 360 W. The Profile pulls 160 W.

Keep in mind that the Digi systems only use one power supply at a time. They don't pull half the power from one, and half from the other. The system pulls all the power it needs from one power supply (The first one that gets power) and it only uses the second power supply if the first has a problem.

So basically your talking 520 W... Plus whatever your monitor pulls (assuming you put it on the UPS as well.)

-craig