Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 03:00 PM

Default Bounce to Disk Errors! Help!

I'll try and keep this short! I've recently installed Pro Tools 6.1, I bounced one or two songs, and now I go to bounce and I keep getting this error message: "The operating system held off interrupts for too long", "Try increasing the H/W Buffer size" in the playback engine dialog".
So I change double check and make sure I have sample size at 512, and CPU usasge at 85%(like the old version), and set the playback buffer to "level 8"
I try again, and I get this error message: "Sudio processing is conflicting w/other CPU tasks, REDUCE H/W Buffer size"!
What is going on here?
I don't have much knowledge of computers, so don't assume I know anything, since I pretty much don't!
Thanks ahead of time!
Steve
Old 10-27-2003, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Bounce to Disk Errors! Help!

well, first off the "playback buffer" you set to 8 actually sounds like the DAE buffer, which is NOT what that error wanted you to change... try 1024 on the playback buffer, reset your DAE buffer to whatever it was.

Is your computer trying to do anything in the background while you bounce? (any other open apps?) That could be trouble...whenever I get that error it's because something else is open (usually a web browser!!) and it is trying to do something like refresh a page or someting.

Other things to help your bounce go smoothly- select "convert after bounce." Bounce to a different drive than the one that contains the session. Search the DUC for more bounce tips! There's tons here and a lot I don't know!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM

Steve,

Did you recently update your OS to 10.2.8? There's been alot of people reporting problems with this OS update and PT 6.1.2, , particularly with regards to bouncing to disk.

Ever since I updated to this configuration, I keep getting the same error message that you're experiencing. I've tried everything, maxxing out settings, trying different hard-drives, repairing permissions...nothing's fixed it, I can't even bounce a single mono track with zero plug-ins!

I probably going to downgrade back to 10.2.6 when I get the chance. For the time being though, I'm staying in OS9, where everything works perfectly!

Hope this helps!

San Diego, CA
Old 10-28-2003, 04:18 PM

I had very similar problems bouncing to disk simple sessions in OS 10.2.8. I tried both PT 6.1.2 and 6.0.1 with the same results. I finally went through the lengthy process of splitting my iBook drive into two partitions (Carbon Copy Cloner rocks) and installing OS 10.2.6 on the new one. As long as I boot from the 10.2.6 parition everything works fine.

Just say NO to OS 10.2.8 for now.

Good Luck.

-Scott