Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Default When I open PT it starts buzzing

Windows 10, PT 10.somethingortheother, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Check the video. When I open PT, it starts buzzing. When I close PT, the buzzing stops. In the mix window, it doesn't show a source for the buzz. Also, it doesn't show a source when I look at the Scarlett MixControl. Any ideas?
https://youtu.be/7RPhvhX_lrI

Last edited by hubberjub; 07-25-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Alright. What'd I do?

Im using the same interface, I encountered something similar, for me it was the clock speeds. Scarlet was 44.1, PT 48k, setting those equal solved it for me.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Re: When I open PT it starts buzzing

On a Windows machine, you should always set Windows Sound Properties to NOT use the interface as its default playback device(this prevents any hardware conflicts). If it still buzzes, I would start looking for a ground loop. Start by checking the your computer, interface and speakers are all connected to the same power source(wall outlet). If they are, try unplugging the cables from the interface outputs to the speaker inputs. If that fixes the buzz, reconnect and try using a pair of AC "cheaters" on the speakers(ground adapters for plugging a 3-prong plug into a 2-prong outlet). If this fixes the buzz, then its a ground loop, BUT(great big BUT), using those "cheaters" is absolutely NOT your ultimate solution. The proper solution for this issue would be to use balanced cables and clip the shield at the speaker end of the cables, OR, use line-level isolation transformers(more expensive, but the best solution)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-23-2017, 10:00 AM

Make sure your Focusrite and your computer are on the same wall socket. Otherwise you can get buzzing in a poorly wired home. I have this problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:28 PM

How'd you get Windows 11? Just curious.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
How'd you get Windows 11? Just curious.

Beta team for sure
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Make sure your Focusrite and your computer are on the same wall socket. Otherwise you can get buzzing in a poorly wired home. I have this problem.
Yep. They're both plugged into the same Furman power conditioner.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Beta team for sure
Close. I'm part of an elite team of idiots who meant to say Windows 10.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:48 PM

So has Avid really just left us for dead? I uninstalled and reinstalled ProTools 10.3.10, and now I can't even get into ProTools. As soon as I load a song, it says that I have to restart PT. I know I'm not the only one that this has happened to. Yes, I'm an imbecile, someone please give me a hand.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 PM

This is a user forum. If you want support from Avid you usually need to contact their support via email or phone. You can find that info online.

As for "buzzing" after watching your video I would have started by debugging this as a interface issue. Does it happen with other DAWs? when playing Windows audio? On other USB ports? with different IO buffer sizes? with every other peripheral disconnected, drivers updated, etc. Reinstalling Pro Tools would would be down the list.

You had a specific suggestion from Hagland... did you check that? What clock rates is everything at?

Contacting Focusrite support may be in your future.

Where is your Sandra report (and from that we would know what PC audio devices you have... may be useful to test with them to verify it's likely the interface not Pro Tools even if you need ASIO4ALL).

Your video is a good start but if you want help from other users, there is standard troubleshooting you are kinda expected to do yourself and you need to more information about your setup and what you've tried. Start at the "help us help you" link up the top of this web page.

As for your current problem, who knows.

What troubleshooting have you tried? Basic stuff done? Trashed prefs? Pro Tools set to run as admin? Checked systems optimization? Tried with a new empty session? Removed all third party plugins? ....

What Windows OS are you on? What exact version of Pro Tools? How exactly did you uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools? What is the history of this install was it a clean OS install previously and clean Pro Tools install in that or has this all been upgraded multiple times then you might be doing a clean Windows install.