Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 11:15 PM

Default How to record external keyboard via line inout/output?

Hi,
I am trying to record the sounds of m Motif keyboard via the 11 rack into logic. I have no issues recording guitar & mic but somehow I am stuck here.I connected my Motif to the back panel line input/output & set the rig input to Line 1 +2. I am able to listen to the keyboard sound on the monitors .But how do I record it into Logic? I tried track input 1 & 2,3&4,5 & 6 but don't see an audio signal coming through.
Pls let me know what I should do.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 PM

Default Re: How to record external keyboard via line inout/output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCcares View Post
Hi,
I am trying to record the sounds of m Motif keyboard via the 11 rack into logic. I have no issues recording guitar & mic but somehow I am stuck here.I connected my Motif to the back panel line input/output & set the rig input to Line 1 +2. I am able to listen to the keyboard sound on the monitors .But how do I record it into Logic? I tried track input 1 & 2,3&4,5 & 6 but don't see an audio signal coming through.
Pls let me know what I should do.
What exactly are you trying to do? What exact model keyboard? If it has S/PDIF out why not use that to connect to the Eleven Rack?

What *exactly* do you have connected, described coherently so we can understand. Describe every cable, what connector type connected from exactly what on the Motif to exactly what on the Eleven Rack. You "connected my Motif to the line input/output"... does not make sense why would you connect anything on the Motif to any line output (Main Outputs) on the Eleven Rack. Is that really what you meant to say?

The Eleven Rack is a 6x4 interface. The line inputs (or even better S/PDIF) to the Eleven Rack are directly available to the DAW you normally would not set the rig input to process the line inputs when tracking a keyboard (unless you wanted a rig effect on that keyboard).

This has been covered lots on DUC but the inputs on the elven Rack are...

Input 1: dry guitar
Input 2: microphone
Input 3/4: Stereo rig output
input 5/6: Stereo digital in (AES/EBU or S/PDIF)
Input 7/8: Stereo line in

So for line-in you should be using Input 7 or 8 for mono sources, or 7/8 if you want to work in stereo.

If that is not working for you have some other basic problem with cabling or driving Logic.

Make sure the Eleven Rack is selected as the audio input and output devices for Logic. And make sure you understand and are properly using things like monitoring audio sources while recording them in Logic.

If you can use S/PDIF make sure to set the Eleven Rack to clock from it's digital input (in Eleven Rack user options), and use a proper 75 ohm "digital" RCA cable.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-29-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What exactly are you trying to do? What exact model keyboard? If it has S/PDIF out why not use that to connect to the Eleven Rack?

What *exactly* do you have connected, described coherently so we can understand. Describe every cable, what connector type connected from exactly what on the Motif to exactly what on the Eleven Rack. You "connected my Motif to the line input/output"... does not make sense why would you connect anything on the Motif to any line output (Main Outputs) on the Eleven Rack. Is that really what you meant to say?

The Eleven Rack is a 6x4 interface. The line inputs (or even better S/PDIF) to the Eleven Rack are directly available to the DAW you normally would not set the rig input to process the line inputs when tracking a keyboard (unless you wanted a rig effect on that keyboard).

This has been covered lots on DUC but the inputs on the elven Rack are...

Input 1: dry guitar
Input 2: microphone
Input 3/4: Stereo rig output
input 5/6: Stereo digital in (AES/EBU or S/PDIF)
Input 7/8: Stereo line in

So for line-in you should be using Input 7 or 8 for mono sources, or 7/8 if you want to work in stereo.

If that is not working for you have some other basic problem with cabling or driving Pro Tools.

Make sure the Eleven Rack is selected as the audio input and output devices for Logic. And make sure you understand and are properly using things like monitoring audio sources while recording them in Logic.

If you can use S/PDIF make sure to set the Eleven Rack to clock from it's digital input, and use a proper 75 ohm "digital" RCA cable.
Thanks for the response.Just plain & simple old fashioned way,I connected the L & R outputs of the Motif keyboard with 1/4 inch cables to the line inputs of the 11r in the rear panel.I can hear the sounds of the motif coming on my Monitors.However when trying to record the sound on Logic,I get no audio signal or waves.What input source do I need to select in Logic tracks & what other settings do I need to make on the 11r?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:53 PM

"So for line-in you should be using Input 7 or 8 for mono sources, or 7/8 if you want to work in stereo."
Old 05-30-2016, 12:12 AM

Something is not making sense here. And again clearer descriptions might help.

What monitors are you talking about? Connected to the Eleven Rack main outputs? (not the Motif outputs right...)

You should not be hearing the Motif on your monitors connected to the Eleven Rack unless input 7 and/or 8 are selected for a track and that track is armed/set up to monitor that input.

If you are hearing stuff without that then likely you have the rig input set to one of the line inputs and you are hearing the local monitoring thought the Eleven Rack (not Logic Pro). Logic Pro does not know how to suppress that local monitoring like Pro Tools does. To stop confusing yourself here make sure the rig input is set to guitar in and rig output volume is turned all the way down.

---

The input and output meters in the Eleven Rack front panel rig view (scroll it far right) can make debugging connecting stuff to an Eleven Rack very easy.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 AM

Hi Darryl,
The monitors I mention are the studio mackie speakers.I use the 11r as my main interface.As for rig input, unless I set it to line L & R The motif is not audible.As per your suggestion I used 7&8 & everything is working fine.Rig input is on Line L & R.

Last edited by JCcares; 05-30-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 AM

Set your digital outputs to "Mirror Analog". cheers, fm