Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Default Re: HD Native now on Digi website

This whole hardware phase is upsetting because I know it's delaying what's really needed most... Invisible and seamless instant RTAS printing would mean that you never have to ever have to worry about dsp, cards, chips external dsp boxes etc again.

For mixers, you don't even realize it because most of you still think old school, but it RTAS rendering would save you thousands in TDM cards and top Mac Pros because you only need one plug in running at any one moment, the one you're editing. All other 200 tracks are audio.

To songwriters what matters is fixing RTAS and/or not having to kill the creative flow constantly by still printing VIs in real time and messing with making/hiding/deactivating/reactivating tracks... like it's still 1999. Damn!

Sorry to be a party pooper in a hardware thread, but all this new HW and attaining "the new paradigm" ARE very much related indeed.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM

The Logic Studio information is just wrong. You can get a valid completely working version with an investment of 499.00. A separate interface is optional. A lot of Macs have digital ins/outs, plus their analog ins/outs. Then it becomes a question of bucks per quality of a separate interface. The M-Audio version of Pro Tools does not suck, but still requires proprietary hardware to run the software. This in itself has created a lot of us to have multiple systems to support different environments. Avid doesn't see any value in selling a software version (yet) that doesn't support other peoples boxes.
Calling a Mac a "dongle" is just a bonehead statement. Any PC running any software makes that PC a "dongle". I guess there is still a lot of "Mac Envy" out there... Yes, you need a Mac to run the NEWER version of Logic, but you also need an Avid interface to run ANY version of Pro Tools (except maybe a Mackie mixer).
I am not trying to create wars over either systems. They are "just tools" of the trade. They still each have strengths and weaknesses. But us PT users seem to be such an emotional lot!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 PM

What about older control surfaces? Procontrol, Control 24, command 8.
Are they supported with HD Native?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:21 PM

I'm always advocating sending Avid our money because they make great products that help support our families...and I stand behind that. But...

I would rather pay $3000 for an iLok asset that enables HIGHLY INTELLIGENT and well designed software that only needs to run one plug in at any one time and that uses the computers dsp for the audio mixing and overhead duties. Software that is SO far ahead of any of the competition in all other areas as well.

We have to get away from this reliance on dsp hardware (because we don't need it) and spend that development money in leaping Pro Tools software years ahead of anyone. Anything can be done with HIGHLY INTELLIGENT software (that invisibly turns plugins into audio) and a mediocre Mac Pro.

We have to change the paradigm. Would you pay $3000 for an iLok asset enabling Pro Tools to run through a $500 PCI card and into your fav interface, doing everything you can do with an Accel 8-card system and a lot more? This is possible today, yet not implemented.

Think different.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
That thing is about $2500 too expensive. The HD Omni, ok, it has preamps, actually circuitry, a case, power supply, etc.

That new card is more expensive, and it's basically a super simple PCIe card.

At $1000 it should have been affordable. At $3500, no way. Digi really lost an opportunity in my opinion here. A used PCIe card is cheaper and more powerful.

They should have gone about a grand, that would probably have enticed a lot of LE users to invest. Because the card by itself is no good, the user has to buy an expensive interface as well that they would have made enough money on.
I agree. This should have been in $1,500 or less price range. I knew about this item about a year ago but promissed not to say anything. I was hoping it would have been much less. A big dissapointment. You can buy used HD cards for less than this.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 AM

hey crazies

wait until AES
Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM

Uh gang....
No more expansion chassis!...These cost more than the phuqin Mac!
Open slots for fibechannel and UAD or TC Powercore cards.
Opens the door to fully utilize 12+ core processors
192 tracks are the tip of the iceberg....Digi mini-link today and the new ultra-fast LightPeak connectivity recently show at Intel Developers conference is totally plausible.

Can you say cheaper plugins? I can.

It just took a few grand off their MADI solution...no accel card.

64 bit has to be close as all modern systems are using it.....PT64 where are you??? :)))
You have to be able to access LOTS of RAM...64 bit is the ONLY way.

Avid is a huge company with more developers than all the competition.
They have to charge for it or they are out of business. Its not Apple as this is their only business...not phones, pods or pads.

Q: HD on a laptop? Hmmm...
Q: Use your own I/O with mini digilink compatibility? Who knows.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
A big dissapointment. You can buy used HD cards for less than this.
great idea.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 AM

Here's a comment and a question:

I have used PT LE since vers. 5... I happen to like it a lot. The current version I'm running (8.01 CS2) runs flawlessly on a dual G5. Realizing that I'm stuck here until I either upgrade my production Mac or commit my MacBook Pro as my studio computer, buying a new Mac looms in the not-too-distant future.

With my Digi002 and the ADAT preamp I'm using, I can get 18 simultaneous inputs/outputs, (using the S/PDIF I/O) which typically is about all I need. I also have midi in at the same time. All this for about $1500.00 . Of course, I'm theoretically limited in track count to 64 audio tracks, but so far, I've never needed that many for any audio CD I've produced. I understand that in film and TV applications, there may well be a need for 192 tracks (although I can't imagine trying to keep track of them all). ADC is really not an issue, as the workarounds are fairly quick and easy (I may be the Lone Ranger on this one).

So, my question is this: How much do I have to spend in order to have the exact same capabilities with a Pro Tools Native HD system, including interface cables, I/O components, etc.? And yes, I do understand that I'd have the potential for much higher sample rates and ADC, but from what I've seen I'll have to spend at least $6500 just to replace what I can do now.

Thanks, Don.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
hey crazies

wait until AES

You said "hey crazies"!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.