Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 09:01 AM

Default reverb plug-ins

What are some of you guys using in terms of reverb plug ins? I'm in the market for something new, more specifically, something versatile. I used to use the waves renverb in my native days, and have considered buying the renmaxx tdm bundle, but haven't decided if that'll be enough. I downloaded a demo of the Eventide Reverb...and it was great, but it sucked up major HD power per use.

-chris
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: reverb plug-ins

I haven't heard anything better than the Eventide Reverb yet. It's lighter, and more airy/transparent sounding than the heavier convolution verbs. It just takes one slot per instance -- not too bad IMO.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:18 PM

Hi,

Its the same with all decent reverbs! they all use a lot of chip usage, the ones that don't just don't have the sound. The TL labs space is a great convolution reverb and the Eventide is the best all round in my opinion, also revibe is a great choice. could try the princeton digital reverbs!? a bit basic but quite nice.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:04 PM

ReVibe is great, in particular if you like tweaking settings like on a 224 or 480. Needs a lot of DSP though and is Accel only. Good for long reverbs (vocals etc) AND short drum rooms and the like. Quite amazing really. Very easy to manipulate separatly ER and reverb, a bit like on a Waves RenRev but more sophisticated. These are the first ER that I actually like, even if I put only a little of it.
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 07-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
ReVibe is great, in particular if you like tweaking settings like on a 224 or 480. Needs a lot of DSP though and is Accel only. Good for long reverbs (vocals etc) AND short drum rooms and the like. Quite amazing really. Very easy to manipulate separatly ER and reverb, a bit like on a Waves RenRev but more sophisticated. These are the first ER that I actually like, even if I put only a little of it.
HARDWARE!!! Lexicon's... Think MPX-1 for versatility, spdif (@44.1 or MPX550@48K) no upgrades, no WUPs, no resources, and a company that stands behind their customers (free firmware updates for second hand hardware!!!), ...and an industry leader in reverb. MX200... VST wrapper interface to hardware... $$$? 960L ...AND THAT'S JUST THE REVERB PORTION OF THE BOXES

~okay... off the soapbox with ya~
Old 07-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Another vote for ReVibe. I was skeptical about it when it was first announced, but the more I use it, the more I like it. It's very open and spacious. The chorusing gives it depth and animation that you're not going to get out of any of the current day static convolution verbs. If you keep your eyes open, you might be able to pick up a copy of ReVibe off eBay at a very good price.

Another thing to consider with ReVibe: Since it's a Digidesign plug-in, you can count on it being supported for a LONG time. There's no chance of being hung out to dry like those who purchased LexiVerb.

As far as the Waves stuff goes, I haven't used IR-1 (I object to it on philosophical principles), but I have their other reverb plug-ins in the Diamond bundle, and I don't care for them at all. I never use them.

Lee Blaske
Old 07-29-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks guys. That seems to be the consensus. It's been kind of a toss up between revibe and reverb one. I downloaded demos of those two, but unfortunately I had to go out of town and didn't have anytime to mess around with them too much. Also, on an unrelated note, I downloaded the demo of MCdsps' Channel G...that plug in is fantastic...especially as a bus compressor. Take care all.

Chris
Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 AM

Mainly ReverbOne, especially for the larger spaces. I love the presets and it is easy to work with. RVerb is another favorite.

MassiveMusic

SOS article
Old 07-30-2005, 01:54 PM

I tried Altiverb, TL Space and Waves IR-1 recently.

I picked the Waves IR-1 cause it sounded the best and didn't make my G5 even wince.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:01 PM

With IR-1 in HTDM, you won't know if it makes your G5 wince because HTDM don't register their CPU usage. So all looks great and then....boom.

TL Space is the only company to make a TDM convolution which I believe to be essential for such CPU processes as reverb.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12