Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Digi002 Rack Set Up

That's great. Can I just use normal red and white audio RCA cables? Or are there specific SPDIF cables I need to buy?
http://mhbstudiolab.com
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbmusic View Post
That's great. Can I just use normal red and white audio RCA cables? Or are there specific SPDIF cables I need to buy?
you need to get SPDIF cables. But standard RCA cables would technically work. you are better off with SPDIF/ digital coaxial

you can get good ones any where, even Walmart or Radio Shack

http://www.tech-faq.com/spdif.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

http://www.music123.com/m123/Accesso...0000000602.sku

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Ca...Cable/11081079

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRA501/

all those should work. remember you need 2 of them.

EDIT: I did a test using just a standard RCA cable (thin cables, red, white heads) http://images2.monoprice.com/product...ages/20081.jpg and yes they will work. I do not suggest it though. They would be ok in a pinch. Just note if you go this route, and plug the White head to the white input of the 002 (IN) then the other end of the White would plug into the RED input of the Eleven Rack (OUT) and vice versa. This is self explanatory of course, the OUT of the 11R goes to the IN of the 002, and the Out of the 002 connects to the IN of the 11R.

Also the standard Yellow RCA cable for Video should be 75 ohm, which is the same as Digital Coaxial/SPDIF, They call them "digital" coax, but the SPDIF interface specification says you only need a 75 Ohm RCA terminated coaxial cable to transmit digital coax audio. Another name for a "75 Ohm RCA terminated coaxial cable" is "video cable", something that is given for free with almost every video component sold. Yellow RCA is 75 Ohm video (and digital coax audio.)

Best bet is to get 2 Digital Coaxial/SPDIF cables, they are cheap enough.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 AM

You all are going to be very dissapointed, like I was. There is no simple way to hook ER with 00X

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=267088
Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goga View Post
You all are going to be very dissapointed, like I was. There is no simple way to hook ER with 00X

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=267088
what are you talking about? I use the 11R hooked up via SPDIF to my 003R everyday with zero problems.

If you are referring to "seeing" the 11R inputs in Pro Tools with it hooked up to another host, then no you wont see that, just like any other outboard processor.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM

@Benoni

I'm happy if it works for you. Would you be so kind and post your setup, please?
The ideea is to hook it so that you can record the guitar and change the sound via ER later.
And to use the 003 like your main interface, and ER only for guitar. Everybody on the thread mention above agreed that is a difficult task...

But I will be very happy if you found a simple way around!!!

Best regards.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
@Benoni

I'm happy if it works for you. Would you be so kind and post your setup, please?
The ideea is to hook it so that you can record the guitar and change the sound via ER later.
And to use the 003 like your main interface, and ER only for guitar. Everybody on the thread mention above agreed that is a difficult task...

But I will be very happy if you found a simple way around!!!

Best regards.
Thats not what you said, you said

Quote:
There is a very easy way to hook the 11R up to a 00x. SPDIF. or even analog.

You are talking about Re-Amping now.

And that has also been covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You can definitely do all you need to do just by hooking the 11R up to the 002 via spidf. There were some threads about this a while back but I don't remember exactly what the solution was for recording both the dry signal and processed signal, but I believe it involved outputting the processed signal in mono (which in most cases is desireable), on one channel of the spidf, and the dry signal on the other.

For reamping, you just take your dry guitar audio track, and set the output to: interface>spidf (which will go to the eleven rack) and then a new audio track with the input set to: interface>spidf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Yeah that is a way to do it. Just mute the dry track so it doesn't mess you up.

I hook up my 11R to the 003R via SPDIF. Go to Setup> Hardware have the 003R (or 002) selected and change the clock source to SPDIF. Click OK, and its ready to go. Your In for the 11R will be SPDIF L/R, so you will want to go into the Eleven Rack Window, User Options and change the track that the Rig settings get Embedded too.

However, the EASIEST way (IMO) to do this and re-amping is to change over to the 11R as your main interface, which can be done in just a few seconds by going to Setup>Playback Engine and choose the Eleven Rack. Your session will close then re-open with the 11R as the interface. When done re-amping, do the reverse to change back to the 003 or 002. Try it both ways and use the method that works best for you
And here is what Avid says about Re-Amping, normal, or Via Digital:

Quote:
Q: I'm trying to re-amp, but it's not working. What should I check first?

A: If you're using Eleven Rack with Pro Tools LE in a standard configuration where Eleven Rack is your primary audio interface make sure the following settings are configured correctly:

1: Make sure you have the Rig Input setting in the Eleven Rack control window is set to "Re-Amp"

2:For the track that has the "dry" or direct guitar audio, make sure the track's output is set to "Re-Amp L" or "Re-Amp R". Also make sure that the track is not muted.

3:For the track you're recording the re-amped sound to, make sure the input setting is set to has "Eleven Rig". Also make sure that the track is record enabled.

Eleven Rack (as a secondary device) with HD, MP, other LE system

1:If re-amping via digital I/O (S/PDIF, AES/EBU), make sure you have the devices 'handshaking', with cables connected in both directions.

2:The HD system should be the clock master, set to internal clock. Eleven Rack should be set to 'External' so that the two devices are sync'ed. Make sure the sample rates match or you will not be able to clock correctly.

3:The Rig Input source needs to be set to "Digital"

4:The Return track's input source needs to be "Digital"

5:In Eleven Rack, the "Digital Output" user option needs to be set to "Rig Outputs". Set this in the Guitar Window, or in the "Digital Output" page in User Options in the HW.

The same basic formula also applies if you're using Eleven Rack as a secondary device with your 003, an M-Powered system etc.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 AM

@benoni & avid

Not sure we want the same thing.

I am talking about a simple thing like this:

* I have a session, where I use the ER to record a guitar track.

* I'm done with recording, but not satisfied with the guitar tone...

* So I want to change it fra ER.

* I would like to do that using 002/003 (wich is a better interface...), and I would like to hear what I'm working with, via the monitors, because if I change to ER, I have to switch the cables fram 002/003 to ER.

* Simple workflow.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM

You can do this via the spidf digital i/o with no loss of quality. I don't have my Eleven rack anymore, but if I remember correctly, it goes like this:

Assuming you've recorded a dry track in addition to your effected track, you want to send the dry track through 11R with a different amp, etc. On the dry track, you go to the inserts, and instead of inserting a plugin, you choose "i/o", and choose the spidf. This routes the signal through the 11R and back in. It's using the 11R as an effects processor, just like you might use a hardware reverb unit, etc. You can try different amps, and when you know what you like, bus that audio track to another audio track to record it.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Goga...
What I think you're talking about isn't as simply done with the 11R hardware device as it is with the 11 plug-in.
Your best bet is to do exactly what has been explained here and then re-amp to the 11R, recording another audio track - either as a new take on the same track or another track.
You are correct, you cannot record a dry signal and apply 11R to it as an insert, as it is a completely different device than a plug-in.
I am running the exact setup decribed in this thread and, albeit there is a bit of a work-around compared to the plug-in, I find it perfectly functional and am very happy with it.
Best suggestion for switching your monitors between the two would be to use a patch bay with your monitors always connected to it and then you'd switch the inputs to whatever device you are using. I'm contemplating doing this, myself.
Most important thing here is: DO NOT think of 11R as a plug-in. It's not. It's external hardware with some awesome interface options. Think this through and use it as such and I'm 100% certain you will be nothing close to disappointed with the 11R.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Digi003 Rack Set Up

So it seems there are various ways to make these things talk to one another. Wouldn't it be cool if AVID were to provide a document that at least shows the different ways their own devices could connect to each other?-- Like a matrix that you enter your devices and it generates optional setups you could use based on your needs. I'm trying to use an 003, an Eventide 3000, an ER, and two Tannoy 601a monitors. I have sound alright but I don't have playback from Protools yet. I think it's because I have the TNY's coming out of the ER instead of the 003 because I wanted to use the XLRs. More cable swapping is forthcoming. I have faith it will work out, with all of your help of course!