Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2009, 11:24 PM

Default Is there a new HD system coming in 2010???

I've heard from various peers and websites that a new system is coming.

Is this true?

Should I wait again to upgrade from PCI to PCIe HD?

I REALLY need the power but I don't want to get screwed like I did years ago when I bought my PCI system. Four weeks later PCIe dropped and I was out over 10g's.

Please let us know...
Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Is there a new HD system coming in 2010???

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkthruwalls View Post
I've heard from various peers and websites that a new system is coming.

Is this true?

Should I wait again to upgrade from PCI to PCIe HD?

I REALLY need the power but I don't want to get screwed like I did years ago when I bought my PCI system. Four weeks later PCIe dropped and I was out over 10g's.

Please let us know...
I've also heard from several places that a new system is coming next year. I've decided that HD is good enough. I have a HD3 accel PCI and one HD3 accel PCIe and I'm gonna crossgrade the PCI core card to PCIe and end up with two HD2 accel PCIe systems. Will sell the extra PCI cards. Together with a Nehalem 8core that is a pretty powerful combination.
Consider the fact that if DIGI will release new hardware it will probably be with PT9 software. How long do you think it will take before all third party plug ins will be compatible...

I'd say, if they release the system this spring most stuff will be up and running after summer and the plug that you really need (whatever that is) will not be compatible until sometime during 2011...
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 AM

Thanks Ram... Honestly, You have made more sense than anybody I have talked to regarding the subject.

I think any problems I have encountered have clouded my faith and predictions with Digi/Avid.

I've had a great run with my old PCI HD system and not looking forward to transferring all of my software plugz, synths, etc... Although, I am a bit excited about starting over.

I may just buy a HD2 PCI-e System & new G5, but keep my old PCI system as a secondary rig. I've been thinking about this for a while now. I just don't want to have two obsolete rigs within a one year span.

Does the math really work out better by flipping your exchanged PCI to PCIe cards? I'm sure it does. I fear that I would just keep the cards as soon as I have exchanged them.. lol

Thanks again for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtitam View Post
I've also heard from several places that a new system is coming next year. I've decided that HD is good enough. I have a HD3 accel PCI and one HD3 accel PCIe and I'm gonna crossgrade the PCI core card to PCIe and end up with two HD2 accel PCIe systems. Will sell the extra PCI cards. Together with a Nehalem 8core that is a pretty powerful combination.
Consider the fact that if DIGI will release new hardware it will probably be with PT9 software. How long do you think it will take before all third party plug ins will be compatible...

I'd say, if they release they system this spring most stuff will be up and running after summer and the plug that you really need (whatever that is) will not be compatible until sometime during 2011...
Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkthruwalls View Post

I may just buy a HD2 PCI-e System & new G5,

Do
Be Careful... SB
Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Unless you require a system for immediate work with revenue, I would wait before buying HD at this time. A new release of hardware looks eminent. All the signals are there, including Digidesign working to dump inventory with the many special offers. Once the new product is released the value of an exisitng HD system will be in the ditch. If you wait and HD is still the way you want to go, it will only be cheaper as people dump their old systems to upgrade. I have been thru this afew times along the way and it is always the same basic scenario.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM

Haven't people been saying a new HD system is imminent for three years or so? I don't know anything one way or another, but I can't see waiting for some unknown system for some unknown period if you need to work now.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:20 AM

I understand your decision, and it would suck to invest in one thing only to wake up the next day to an announcement that your "new" system was just retired in lieu of something else.

But keep in mind that these rumors come and go with the wind. At least once a year something new is just around the corner. Nothing ever is. Of course this time could be the real thing, but I'd be surprised.

Take comfort in the fact that the current systems, regardless of their actual shelf life, are powerful enough to handle just about anything.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:01 AM

Oh digi. Digi digi digi. What are we going to do with you?

Good post, I know.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaero View Post
Oh digi. Digi digi digi. What are we going to do with you?

Good post, I know.

Is there a new system?

Will the one I own *now* work glitch-free before then?

Does Santa exist?

We demand to know.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 AM

I just posted to this in the LE forum. And as I said there, I have it from someone who is pretty well in the loop. The same person who informed me about Eleven Rack three or so months before it was introduced. There will be no new system debuted at NAAM or even next year, with the exception of MAYBE an addition to the LE line. HD in its present form is not going anywhere...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...