Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Wouldn't hurt for them (avid) to post an official release date if they actually know it. All we have is posts in threads spread out in the forums.

Regardless I'm letting you guys run with it for awhile before I even contemplate using 2019.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Regardless I'm letting you guys run with it for awhile before I even contemplate using 2019.

Wise man, you’ve done this before. Wanna bet how many people jump on it ASAP and don’t back up before upgrading, and then want to roll back?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Wise man, you’ve done this before. Wanna bet how many people jump on it ASAP and don’t back up before upgrading, and then want to roll back?
May is a dumpster fire for me time wise. Subsequently I don't have any projects I am working on until June. Therefore I will probably be an early adopter.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
May is a dumpster fire for me time wise. Subsequently I don't have any projects I am working on until June. Therefore I will probably be an early adopter.
Since I migrated over to my Mac Pro, my Macbook Pro is still set up and I just need to plug an iLok back in to it. And it's on Mojave now. So I'll probably put 2019 on the Macbook as soon as it comes out, just for fun. It will be interesting to see how many Izotope plugins I can shove at it before it falls over compared to 2018.

But it won't be going anywhere near my live machine, or the system at the studio, for the time being. (Even though they do get backed up, daily...)
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 05-06-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
My current midi template in Cubase / VE Pro is around 1,500 tracks. I must not be very creative.

As others have said, its not about using that many tracks simultaneously or anything close to it. Modern libraries have scores of instruments and articulations. Every instrument needs its own routing and processing, which takes set up time and - oh yes - sucks creativity. A large template really is all about keeping the creativity going, working quickly.

Post uses a lot of tracks too, but in my experience nowhere near as much as VI-based orchestral work. It shares a few similarities though, having large numbers of tracks pre-routed. And I occasionally temporarily get to very high numbers when importing stuff from one session to another before rationalising. In Ultimate I often get the "some tracks are inactive" warning as I've exceeded the count. Don't think I've ever needed them active though, that's just for a little while in the organisational shuffle.

In an ideal world PT would have unlimited midi tracks like literally everyone else. Maybe there's some deep-rooted coding reason why PT is still working in power of 2 blocks and can't just open the gates wide.
yeah that inactive thing bugs me a lot! Never had that in DP or Logic. I may get into Cubase at some point. One work around when I open sessions and the track is inactive,(super annoying), is that I duplicate say the instrument track and delete the original. It then does not happen again on that track. Never sure why it happens, but that has been happing for years. Sort of got used to doing that I guess-:)
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 05-06-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 05-06-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Yup. Feedback from early adapters is crucial. Glad you will be able to help us all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Film scoring - and composing - is a different world to me too, but these sorts of exchanges do fascinate me. What we all have in common is the need to minimise interruption to the creative flow and - to give a nod to the subject of this thread - reliability issues in Pro Tools interfere with the creative flow.

Right now, I'm in a sort of temporary nirvana having recently upgraded my hardware. Whereas I used to have to take my work back into the studio as soon as the mix got complicated I can now finish work in the comfort of my home studio. In fact I've got a mix going at the moment that actually doesn't run reliably on the studio system (a MP 5,1 12 core with HDX) any more but runs fine at home.

I hadn't realised until I stopped to think about it yesterday how much time I had been wasting trying to work round stuff like cpu overloads and how much easier it is being able to just sit down and get into the mix. Being able to work all day without thinking about the computer stuff keeps the creative juices flowing and - getting back to the point - this is why what we all need from Pro Tools 2019 is stability first, new features second.

Back in the day when I was a Pro Tools TDM dealer, demonstration sessions were all about trying to convince studio operators they could risk moving from trusted, reliable tape to this new-fangled computer stuff. And for the most part I was able to prove they could. I couldn't say the same today, given then number of times the HDX system at the studio has stopped dead in the middle of a take.
And that pretty much sums it up. The focus needs to be bug fixes at Avid, not new features while the bugs are not addressed. 2019.5 will be the litmus test for whether I stick with PTs or give up and sell my gear. Selling gear is a pain in the ass, but at this point I don't see why I should stay with PTs when Logic with an Apollo TB3 works amazingly well. I could use the $$ to invest in other areas of my studio. I always thought PTs would remain the gold standard of DAWs but since they've gone to the subscription model, things have quickly spiraled into the abyss of suck. They keep touting relatively useless 'upgrades' while dismissing the most important feature: stability.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 AM

This looks like a joke to me
Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
And that pretty much sums it up. The focus needs to be bug fixes at Avid, not new features while the bugs are not addressed. 2019.5 will be the litmus test for whether I stick with PTs or give up and sell my gear. Selling gear is a pain in the ass, but at this point I don't see why I should stay with PTs when Logic with an Apollo TB3 works amazingly well. I could use the $$ to invest in other areas of my studio. I always thought PTs would remain the gold standard of DAWs but since they've gone to the subscription model, things have quickly spiraled into the abyss of suck. They keep touting relatively useless 'upgrades' while dismissing the most important feature: stability.
You are not alone in wanting stability and bug fixes over new features
In this poll just out over on PT Expert 68% want bug fixes over new features

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-in-pro-tools

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-07-2019, 06:56 AM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

People want bug fixes because the software is buggy. If the software was stable, people would be complaining at the lack of features.

The fact that so many people are clamouring for stability is the concerning aspect. Why has this software become so unstable for many people?

Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk