Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

if you NEED 1024 midi tracks to write a song or to do something creative, theres another business for you, where utter lack of creativity abounds, its called the government.....why not 10,000 midi tracks, think of the musical genius that'll be revealed, with each thousand more midi tracks.......wow....
Old 05-04-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
if you NEED 1024 midi tracks to write a song or to do something creative, theres another business for you, where utter lack of creativity abounds, its called the government.....why not 10,000 midi tracks, think of the musical genius that'll be revealed, with each thousand more midi tracks.......wow....
Have you ever scored a feature .. ?
Old 05-04-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
So you would/could actually use 1024 midi tracks? I mean I get it a feature (assuming movie or TV) would use a lot of midi tracks but 1024? I had no idea. Clearly I'm not in the movie/tv business. That seems like an awful lot of midi tracks. Someone heard and listened to the need at Avid.

Just curious what is the max number of midi tracks you've had to use on a score?

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 05-04-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
So you would/could actually use 1024 midi tracks? I mean I get it a feature (assuming movie or TV) would use a lot of midi tracks but 1024? I had no idea. Clearly I'm not in the movie/tv business. That seems like an awful lot of midi tracks. Someone heard and listened to the need at Avid.

Just curious what is the max number of midi tracks you've had to use on a score?
It's all about setting up templates in order to have a wide range of sounds right at your fingertips for instant use in a session. It's an absolutely common workflow set-up especially when scoring with Cubase. You never will use all those tracks at once in a cue...
Old 05-04-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
I thought feature films were still using live orchestras. 1024 MIDI tracks sounds like independent films that can't afford to hire real musicians.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-04-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I thought feature films were still using live orchestras. 1024 MIDI tracks sounds like independent films that can't afford to hire real musicians.

I don't think it matters. At some point all of those scores are going to be written and arranged using DAW based workflows well before any real musician is even booked.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
No.
The mockup is still done in MIDI and in-depth MIDI at that

Not to mention there's a wide variety of synthetic sounds, obscure percussion, and ethnic instruments that are left in the final score even with real orchestra. Templates can have 300 MIDI tracks devoted to different types of metallic hits or pads alone; a lot of those custom built/recorded "instruments." If you see someone like Alan Silvestri, John Powell or Hans Zimmers full templates, you'll see hundreds of tracks -- however hiding the unused groups of MIDI template tracks is pretty common.

And that kind of palette also takes up more MIDI tracks in a template. Cubase and Logic have been handling this well for A list composers. Pro Tools has been awful at this which is why expanding MIDI is/was needed.

The small-minded people railing against this as "not being creative" just lack imagination of what the workflow is like for others (professionals.)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No.
The mockup is still done in MIDI and in-depth MIDI at that

Not to mention there's a wide variety of synthetic sounds, obscure percussion, and ethnic instruments that are left in the final score even with real orchestra. Templates can have 300 MIDI tracks devoted to different types of metallic hits or pads alone; a lot of those custom built/recorded "instruments." If you see someone like Alan Silvestri, John Powell or Hans Zimmers full templates, you'll see hundreds of tracks -- however hiding the unused groups of MIDI template tracks is pretty common.

And that kind of palette also takes up more MIDI tracks in a template. Cubase and Logic have been handling this well for A list composers. Pro Tools has been awful at this which is why expanding MIDI is/was needed.

The small-minded people railing against this as "not being creative" just lack imagination of what the workflow is like for others (professionals.)
I for one have no idea what the professionals you mentioned do to turn out top-notch film scores. Seems they did it fine before there was midi, some of the dudes you mentioned were writing killer scores in the 80s. But if 1024 is a good number (seems rather random to me....why not 1150?) for the .000001% of PT users, i'm all for it . Meanwhile I can't get 5 VIs to work with PTs without having to freeze track everything. I assume these professionals don't use PTs for the heavy VI lifting, which it is not capable of, but rather load the stems from another DAW, or I should say their interns do.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 05-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
But if 1024 is a good number (seems rather random to me....why not 1150?)
In a binary system, a lot of things boil down to powers of 2. Hard to know the exact reason in this case.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I for one have no idea what the professionals you mentioned do to turn out top-notch film scores. Seems they did it fine before there was midi, some of the dudes you mentioned were writing killer scores in the 80s. But if 1024 is a good number (seems rather random to me....why not 1150?) for the .000001% of PT users, i'm all for it . Meanwhile I can't get 5 VIs to work with PTs without having to freeze track everything. I assume these professionals don't use PTs for the heavy VI lifting, which it is not capable of, but rather load the stems from another DAW, or I should say their interns do.
1024 because 2^10

The industry has changed since the 80s. As have budgets. As have expectations by directors and producers on mockups.

When you have thousand midi track templates, you aren’t using a single system DAW. No DAW can run thousands of instruments (processing and RAM)— you use a host and multiple computers to distribute instruments. Hans Zimmer uses a custom/proprietary host software over many computers (14+) to feed his DAW. Powell/Silvestri/most composers use Vienna Ensemble Pro over many computers.
But you still need the MIDI tracks in your DAW to trigger these other computers.