Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Metric Halo Channelstrip Problems

This is getting funnier now..

There's more bugs in this thing than there were before!!!

I just loaded the SAME session I was working on yesterday, and now some of the channelstrips are working, but you can't adjust anything in them. Clicking on the EQ button does nothing except freeze the meters.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm really saddened by all the good I could have done with the money I've wasted on all this buggy software.

I could have spent more time with my family, or playing xBox live, or sleeping. But instead I have to quit pro tools, delete the prefs, sacrifice a small chicken, stand on my head while drinking a glass of water, and then praying really hard that the thousands of dollars I've put into this stuff might actually work.

I'm surprised I haven't broken anything yet..
Old 02-06-2004, 02:29 AM

my setup is : G4 AGP + SBS 13 ext rack with 7 mix cards, OS 9.2.2 PT5.1.1
I have now a working OSX system on another disk, but I didn't bother to upgrade CS.

By the way, on December 24 2002 I have been answered by MHL

"we haven't heard from any users that have been experiencing this problem"

also see the following (short) thread :
THREAD
BTW My post at the time was under the name Mark Haliday

My intimate intuition about this muting phenomena is that it has something to do with the way graphics are designed, and CS is VERY graphics intensive.

I have the impression that over a certain number of instances something runs out of CPU or memory ressources somewhere (bear my ignorance, I am no computer geek...). The TDM cards run the actual audio processing but it is the Mac that does all the rest, and the OS might be co-responsible
I know there has been some similar problems with some Bomb factory plugins, and I had similar experiences with Autotune.

By the way, Waves Renaissance channel is an excellent alternative to ChannelStrip (the gate even works better), but I believe it requires buying a whole bundle...

Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 02-12-2004, 11:51 AM

After 3 weeks and 2 emails I am still waiting for a reply for a demo. Is anyone reading the emails that they get? The demo page says to send an email.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:34 PM

Same with me on the demo. Absolutely NO response. I don't understand - they used to be really good with communication. I have used CS in 9 but I am not going to buy it until I can get the demo for X to make sure I am not upgrading to a bunch of nonsense.

Anyone else out there using CS successfully?

Chris
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 02-12-2004, 01:46 PM

Ive been using CS for a few years now and every now and then it does weird things like you guys are talking about but i just get in the habit of cliking on each CS plug in when i open a PT session and if its buggy just quit PT and reopen or resart the computer. That always fixes it for me and because its a good SSL style eq/compressor I just live with it.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:31 PM

It seems to me that having to click, close and restart when a plug isn't working properly is not right. Although, it is good to know that workaround. Thanks.
LE 6.4
Virus C, Akai S6000
Mackie analog 8 bus
a boatload of cables
and mad patience...

Old 02-12-2004, 08:52 PM

Totally useless !!!!!!!
What a shame.... I was waiting on it.... I use to love it...... now I hate it !
PLEASE METRIC HALO !!!!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT !!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 05:42 PM

I would like to say that channelstrip is a horrid plugin. I paid full price for it and used it for a few weeks. I liked it alot but noticed all of the problems that all of you had with it. Random muting, distortion, settings coming up different when you re-open sessions, etc....
Super Crummy right....??

So, it fell into disuse, as I figured that I would catch it in the upgrade to OSX that we were planning. When we upgraded we went to download the OSX update to channel strip and there was none (July 03). HA HA what a scam. OSX had been out for long enough for ALL OF THE OTHER COMPANIES TO HAVE THEIR STUFF READY.

So, then Febuary rolls around and Metric Halo gets off their fat asses and writes OSX code into their "wonderful" plugin and charges us for it. HA HA HA

Point being

Channel Strip SUX

So I emailed them, explaining the problem. They emailed back

" If you are not
satisfied with the performance of this plugin, I would recommend that
you contact the retailer who sold you this software to resolve this matter."

Cool company, Huh?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Metric Halo Channelstrip

I thought the bugs were because of everybody I knew using it had [k] in the plug in name.(wink,wink), guess not. I have been wating for over a year for CS to catch up to my OSX studio. I will wait longer until I hear the bugs are worked out before dropping the $345 for the RTAS/AU. Even though it sounds great, this is Absolutely Rubbish. Did I hear someone mention Sony plugs? Hmm. Going to have to look into that.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:51 AM

By the way, if you are after a full channel plugin, Waves makes the Renaissance channel, unfortunately only available to bundle owners, which works very well (even has a gate).
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio