Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2003, 07:03 AM

Default Recommend me a synth/rack

If you saw my post on the a/d convertors of a 002, then youll know that I want a new synth/rack. Ive been just using soft synths but wanna get some hardware. I wrote on that post that I was thinking of getting a micro korg or novation rack, but am quickly changing my mind - maybe a clavia nord. Are the micro korg and novation not studio quality? What are the pros using? Give me a few models to check out, somewhere to start.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Recommend me a synth/rack

Jak,

first thing I would do is dismiss this 'studio quality' tag which seems to concern you. IMO, they're all "studio quality", it's how you program them and play them, and more importantly, what type of sound you're after.

Novation: nice, clean, very fluid sounding synths. Great for complex arpeggios, techno, trance, very 'synthy' sounds and pads.

Korg MS2000: IMO - best bang for the buck. I bought one in mint condition on Ebay for $500 and not a day goes by where I can't coax some new exciting sounds out of it. Very intuitive interface, can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Has audio inputs so you can process external sounds throuh it's filters and such, and has a vocoder. The most amazing bass sounds. Overall, a great synth which can go from Jupier/Juno/Moog-like sounds to a lounge organ and icey bleeps and ominous pads.

The Micro has the same sound engine, but a smaller and clunkier workspace and keys. I'd go with the MS2k, personally, unless you really need the space.

NordLead: Also a great synth, a little more raw sounding right out of the box, as there are no effects built-in, which can be a good thing in some cases. This would make you work harder at getting a great sound at the source and you can then effect it in ProTools with your own delays and reverbs.

Virus: The mack-daddy. This thing can cover just about any genre, from hip-hop to house to trance, to IDM and glitchy electronic music. Can sound bubbly and light to dark and textural.

Alesis ION: Looks like a winner for $799 retail. It was just released and I haven't had a chance to play with it, so I couldn't tell you how it sounds.

Best thing you can do is go to a ****ar Center or Sam Ass near you and try them out for yourself. Don't base your decision on what I or anyone else thinks. Use these opinions only as a starting point. Go play now.

Good luck.

ps. Oh and by the way, the 002 AD and DA converters sound great, so you can rest easy and carry on with your synth hunt.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I wanted to hear, a general summary of the major synths out there.

Can you give me your opinion on waldorf synths?

thanks again
Old 10-28-2003, 08:17 AM

Waldorf - very nice and beefy. However, you should go hear all the different models, as they all sound a bit different from each other. There's the Microwave, the Q and the Micro-Q, perhaps a few more by now, don't know. There are certainly more menus and pages to scroll through from the user interface, similar to the recent E-MU sound modules. I like them but they wouldn't be my first pick. I prefer the Virus.

check out these sites for some reviews.

www.harmonycentral.com
www.sonicstate.com
www.sound-on-sound.com
www.synthzone.com

Use all the resources you can to research, do Google searches on the synth, etc. Most of all, GO PLAY THESE THINGS AND SEE WHICH ONE WORKS FOR YOU! It's the only way to buy the right thing.