Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Choir Microphone suggestions

If we were to buy a couple of mics for our choir for recording and amplification what is a good way to go, in the under $500 range?

Would there be a reason for using different mics for performance vs recording?

Sorry for the ignorant questions, but I usually get some great info from some of you.

While I am at it, totally off subject, I continue to listen to old CD's on my new Mackie 824s and hear things I never heard before. Tonight I was listening to the Beatles White Album - for the first time on the Mackies and was quite surprised at the bass sound on I Will, is that all electronic, or is McCartney using his voice with the bass? I have heard that song probably over 100 times and never noticed that bass sound. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Richard
Old 10-16-2002, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Choir Microphone suggestions

Are these microphones going to be in a practice space or a performance stage? Are they going to be permanently installed or do you need to move them around? I'm assuming they will be for live performance only..... There are a few ways to go here, the first being hanging condenser microphones. These are small-profile cardiod microphones that simply hang by the cable in front of the choir at a distance. They are angled and designed for such miking situations. One microphone to look at is the Audio Technica AT853. These are very affordable but good quality. They really make sense if the "look" is an issue. They are great for amplification and decent for recording. Personally, I would use these for amplification but get something else to do recording.

For the recording aspect of it, I STRONGLY suggest to look into the RODE NT4 stereo microphone or a pair of the NT5's. The problem here is if your budget is only $500... you can only do one or the other.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Choir Microphone suggestions

Well i recommend looking at the dsm stereos...i have been getting extraordinary results from them..my model has the most delicious affinity for the human voice

http://www.sonicstudios.com/

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4