How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2023, 05:52 PM

Default Carbon Expanded - Analog/ADAT Toggle

Howdy y'all!

For anyone who owns a Carbon Pre as an Expanded setup, I realize you cannot currently use the analog and ADAT ports simultaneously (yet!). If I have equipment connected to both, is it possible toggle between Analog and ADAT on the Carbon Pre front panel? Or this can only be done within Pro Tools software?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 08-22-2023, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Carbon Expanded - Analog/ADAT Toggle

Ok, so after re-reading the manual, I don't think you can use ADAT at all in Carbon Expanded mode. ADAT is only for standalone mode I believe.

Not sure if Mark Corbin is still reading these threads, but a while back several of us requested the ability to use the ADAT ports simultaneously with Analog on Carbon Pre in Carbon Expanded mode. It was mentioned it's on the roadmap. Would love to know if this has been scoped and committed for an upcoming release?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 09-16-2023, 10:06 AM

Yes - it was confirmed previously that there is no provision for the use of ADAT I/O in a Carbon Pre, unless it's in standalone mode. This severely restricts the potential of the Carbon Pre IMHO.

There has been some discussion on this topic previously:

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...+Expanded+ADAT

Some news from Avid would be very much appreciated, please...
Mac OS X Ventura
Avid Artist Control, Artist Mix, Avid Control
EuControl 2022.12.1.34
Slate Raven MTi1 touchscreen
Old 11-02-2023, 04:42 PM

I love Carbon and it's almost perfect for me, but had they included one more ADAT in/out it would have been so much better.

I'm using an SSL AlphaLink, which is 24 channels of Analog/ADAT in standalone mode.

16 ADAT from Carbon to SSL to The Box, which is great. I would love to be able to use those second eight to a headphone mixer.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-15-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I love Carbon and it's almost perfect for me, but had they included one more ADAT in/out it would have been so much better.

I'm using an SSL AlphaLink, which is 24 channels of Analog/ADAT in standalone mode.

16 ADAT from Carbon to SSL to The Box, which is great. I would love to be able to use those second eight to a headphone mixer.
Hard agree here. I have a pulse 16 on my adat expansion, and I am contemplating a carbon pre because I really need 16 more IO, but until they support adat and line simultaneously its a hard sell for $3k.