Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Default 64 bit Audio Engine?

I am curious if anyone has read/heard if not only that the application runs in 64 bit but also if it processes audio in 64 bits? I am also curious if it will support 64 bit audio files now? Some applications like Reaper have had end to end 64 bit audio processing since its incarnation... And I am not arguing for or against merely just out of curiously? On the other end, the latest release of Cubase runs in 64 bit but only processes its audio in 32 bits.

So... Anyone?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Default Re: 64 bit Audio Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numi View Post
I am curious if anyone has read/heard if not only that the application runs in 64 bit but also if it processes audio in 64 bits? I am also curious if it will support 64 bit audio files now? Some applications like Reaper have had end to end 64 bit audio processing since its incarnation... And I am not arguing for or against merely just out of curiously? On the other end, the latest release of Cubase runs in 64 bit but only processes its audio in 32 bits.

So... Anyone?
No. Just the app has been upgraded to 64 bits.

Since PT9, naive Pro Tools, HD Native, and HDX, have all had the same 32bit floating point processing with 64bit accumulator mix buss. It's this last part that causes some confusion, understandably.

There really little to no need for 32 bit audio files (other than to keep the data path 32 bit "pure" and for certain audio processes like MASSIVE gain changes) so 64 bit audio is just silly.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.