Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Recording Stems Simultaneously

I want to record multiple stems in one pass for my Pro Tools HD session. In order to do this, I believe I have to create separate FX auxes for each stem. For example, assume that each audio track in my session is routed to two sends -- a reverb and a delay. I want to record a PERCUSSION stem. I would first route all of my percussion tracks to a bus (e.g. PERC BUS). I would create a "percussion reverb" aux and a "percussion delay" aux and route both of these to the PERC BUS. I would use these percussion-specific FX auxes for the sends from my percussion tracks. Then, I would create an audio track whose input is the PERC BUS. I would repeat this for every stem in my session. So, the number of additional tracks required to bounce the session would be the number of stems * 3 (one stem-specific reverb, delay, and audio track). Now, I can record enable the stem audio tracks and in one pass record all the stems.

This works, but I'm worried about how this will all work with four sends per track and six stems -- and all of the plug-ins in surround. The alternative, of course, is to have one set of FX auxes and record each stem separately. In six passes (for six stems), everything is done. Obviously, this is much more time consuming.

I'm curious if anyone has come up with a better solution for recording stems in one pass. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Recording Stems Simultaneously

You're on the right track, and everyone has different templates for achieving the same goal. Ask yourself this: how frequently do you need to make a little tweak for a client that would force you to laboriously reprint each stem separately vs. punching in on all stems simultaneously? Do it the simultaneous way. Much faster and more flexible.

I build big matrixes for this purpose (with 10-16 Altiverbs and multiple delays), and can deliver lots of mixes very rapidly. Plug-in linking, grouped record arming, are all functions that help make this work well in Pro Tools.

Some of the heavy-hitters here like Minister or Garnoil might comment more.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

I personally think this is less of an issue of right or wrong, and more of an issue of system performance, and what you are trying to accomplish and what your client is asking for. If your client wants several stems, or you are mixing like a large format mixer with predubs and a final mix, then spend time making a quality template. But, I will say don't overcomplicate things just for the sake of it. Or if you do, practice and become familiar with it. When the fit hits the shan, and you need to preform, you don't need all of that extra baggage in the way.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreiman View Post
.. The alternative, of course, is to have one set of FX auxes and record each stem separately. In six passes (for six stems), everything is done. Obviously, this is much more time consuming.

I'm curious if anyone has come up with a better solution for recording stems in one pass. Thanks in advance for your advice.
You assess the tradeoffs correctly; after printing a few scores soloing tracks one stem at a time, it became clear we were spending days just printing - I now use *large* templates with lots of reverbs in them, usually printing up to as many as 48 tracks of stems (usually a mixture of 2 or 3 5.1 stems, and another 6 or 7 LCR stems, plus a full 5.1 mix and a stereo downmix). PITA to setup, but once it's going it saves endless hours of printing.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM

Exactly. You need the DSP horsepower to have separate reverbs/FX for each of your stems, that way you can print it all in one pass.
Of course, easier for me to say because I have at the most 4 stems (DX, MX, FX and the occasional "oddball" stem) but the same would apply to score mixing with possibly more stems split out.
Good luck!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook