Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Default Work Around: Re-recording stems while layingback to SR Deck

Thank you to those who responded to my previous post. My issue was having the SR auto-switch (literally) into pre-read while I was simulteously re-recording stems back to PT and laying back (Dolby) to tape.

The solution I found (with the help and advice from an engineer) was to slave PT to the machine; disabling the 9 pin control using only LTC. This does induce the infamous 4 frame offset (I advanced the time line).

I would love to see a fix on this issue.... I love my 9 pin machine control!

Thanks, All

Regards

Karl Kalbaugh
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Work Around: Re-recording stems while layingback to SR D

Hi Karl,

Its strange that you are having trouble doing this as we have no problem.

Once you have dropped into record on your ProTools track ie the mix stem (for this your transport should = "ProTools"

Change the transport to "Machine" and drop into record on the deck.

Anyway thats how its working here its a little more fiddley than it could be -ie just hitting record and having all the armed tracks on all machines go into record but it is working via 9pin for us.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 AM

Hi Bruno,

Indeed, this is the way it SHOULD work (as you describe), and I have been doing this the way you describe with digibetas and IMX.

I'd love to know why the SR 5500 decks are problematic. 422/9-pin isn't "smart" in any sense that I know of, so, I suspect something's up with the deck.

BTW, we have more than one, and the same thing happens on other decks, also.

If I find out more, I'll report back.

regards

Karl
Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Hay Karl,

We have the same deck and no problem. We don't have a syncHD yet and the machine is often locked to tri-level. I've been able to work around by locking the ProTools to the AES output of the deck. But it sounds as if you have clocking all sorted out -so it must be a set thing in the deck -I can't help with that -Other than the unhelpful news thats its working here.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Hay Karl,

We have the same deck and no problem. We don't have a syncHD yet and the machine is often locked to tri-level. I've been able to work around by locking the ProTools to the AES output of the deck. But it sounds as if you have clocking all sorted out -so it must be a set thing in the deck -I can't help with that -Other than the unhelpful news thats its working here.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Default We have the same issue.

Hello Karl,

We have the same pre-read issue here with the HDCAM SR decks and Protools. We too have multiple HDCAM SR & multiple Protools running 7.3 & 7.4. All systems are exhibiting the issue.

On a side note, I don't know if you remember me but I use to work for AMS Neve and I do believe we have met in the past.

Please keep in touch and I will do the same. Hopefully we can find an answer to our issue.
-Phil
Old 07-29-2008, 09:26 AM

i had this problem, but found that the 4 frame offset can be adjusted in the PHASE SET menu. from what i understand the offset is intentional and is meant to compensate for different video delays. the factory setting happens to be out of sync with the way most people layback audio so it's odd they haven't ever changed it.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 PM

Hello All,
Thanks. I thought I was the only one having this issue. The HDCAM SR switches to Pre-Read every time I layback audio to the HDCAM SR and try to re-record into Pro Tools simultaneously using machine control. My next layback I'll try jwd's way. Thanks
-Marcus
Pro Tools 7.4
Old 07-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Hi all. During the first months since we purchased PTHD I did record on PT tracks while making auto edit in deck. Don´t ask me how. I did it in 2 projects an used Control24´+ computers COM1 port for remote control, and Sync I/O was supossed to be referenced to blackburst. But today is the day I can´t do it anymore. I don´t know why, but after testing all the possible combinations for remote and sync there is no way to make PT to "record online at edit-insertion point" or "at ADAT-timecode lock".

Will it really help arming project´s tracks with transport in ProTools an then changing to Machine? I´ll try it tomorrow. Regards.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Work Around: Re-recording stems while layingback to SR Deck

So many months later we still have the intermittent issue of the HDCAM SR going into pre-read when using PT machine control. As I have said before it does not always happen.

During a recent Dolby DMU printmaster session I found out from the Dolby tech that when PT is actively using delay compensation it sometime messes up the machine control & LTC output from the Sync IO. Dolby now requires all stems to be pre-printed in Protools and delay compensation to be turned completely off to do laybacks to the DMU.

So the next time I have a deck I & experience the Pre-Read issue I will see if delay compensation is on & active.

We have 8 HDCAMSR decks in house and 10 PT HD mix suites. We do a lot of laybacks to this deck and the weird issues don't always show up. Maybe it happens only when the delay compensation is extreme?