Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Nubie:Need Help Recording MIDI From Roland XP50 to Pro Tools

I'm up & running! I think putting the XP-50 in slave mode did the trick...? Not really sure since I messed around with so many things to get it into shape (long phone call to Roland). I'm still interested in finding out about SMF. For now I'm just happy to be recording MIDI into PT from the XP... finally.

Many thanks to you both from a very grateful nubie!

dj
Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 PM

dj, skimming through the XP-50 Manual, Standard MIDI File (SMF) are a supported importing format, though the concept of exporting an SMF was conditional or subject to whether the SMF had ease of export and since Pro Tools is my primary sequencer and Workstation workflows ain't my forte, you may need to ask yourself what is your primary sequencer and for what reasons, for it may be more beneficial to learn Pro Tools and route back using the XP-50 as an external playback module and computer-based Instrument MIDI Controller then a Workstation-based sequencer.

filosofem
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 PM

filosofem,

Yes I fully agree with you. I am using Pro Tools as my primary sequencer, as there seem to be lots more recording, editing & mixing options in PT than in the XP-50. The fact that I can record audio (esp vocals) alone, makes PT the preferred base for me.

My main reason for getting the XP-50's sequencer synced with PT is so that I can get all the songs I created on the XP - & saved on floppy disks - into Pro Tools to work on them there (rather than ditching the 100's of songs I have on floppy).
That will certainly be an ongoing process.

In the meantime, I am also using the XP's keyboard as a MIDI controller for PT based work. Once I salvage all the songs I have on floppy, that will be it's main use. New songs are created solely in PT.

Regarding exporting SMF's - I realized that since I'm now able to record the XP's songs into PT, it seems a bit pointless to learn all about them at this time... ? Please tell me if I'm missing out on something there!

Hope that's not TMI... Thanks for your ear & your interest! I will surely be back with more questions for you...

dj
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Regarding exporting SMF's - I realized that since I'm now able to record the XP's songs into PT, it seems a bit pointless to learn all about them at this time... ?
No, no, the exporting SMF's idea, was just that, a workaround for a better file transfer. Anyways, glad it's all sorted.

Regards ...and happy tooling.

filosofem