Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Save me some time..Please!!

dre41

One word.... GROUP

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for all of your feedback!!

Naagzh-

Since I posted that question about the files, I downloaded them to an external drive and they loaded just fine in Protools 7.3. I had some file exchange issues as well so I deleted exchange preferences and rebuilt the desktop. Something worked not quite sure what.

As far as the latency, I often read vo's over music beds. So any delay can be somewhat of a distraction. I'm accustomed to what little delay I now experience, just wouldn't like to add to it.

Forgive my ignorance but I do radio. probably not as deep into the tools as most of you. Not quite sure what you meant with the llm/64 samples question. But I will say I do not consider my sessions cpu intensive.

I would like to know more about your a/b box suggestion. Got a product to recommend? And I do agree 5 and 6 would be better.

bluesboyiv-

"So, you want something that will effectively be a mono input"

That part is correct..What I want is to route a mono signal(mic pre/leveling amp) to a stereo channel in Protools. That's it. The catch is that "I do not want to use an aux input if its not necessary". I have been told that you can route the signal this way in the I/O setup on the setup page in Protools. No one knows how to do it though. Plan to call digi tomorrow.

The reason I want this is "to print stereo effects to track". Not rtas efx mixed in real time, but audiosuite effects recorded on the track. I hope I'm explaining this in a way that you guys will understand. A suggestion was made to just use some of the mono to stereo fx from digi. But I'm picky about my fx and I have a new waves bundle and some other plugs that I'd like to use...in stereo.

As far as the technique/workflow thing, my reference was to the "VO/Imaging side of radio" as I mentioned. I have twenty years behind the mic and I enjoy learning new things as well. The top guys in the business work under a veil of secrecy with the gear, techniques and tools they use to get the job done.

Since you're in broadcasting I don't have to explain the many different types of voiceovers and voiceover artists. So what's good for the goose....well you know the rest. If you would like to go further with this...Holla!!

Rail Gun Rogut-

OK..but could you explain?

Thanks Again!!!

effects
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM

The only problem is that Audiosuite cannot be done in real time...and since RTAS stands for Real Time AudioSuite this is the only way I can think of to print a mono signal in real time to stereo. Right? I mean, if you're recording the stereo track AFTER the stereo AUX AFTER the mono input, then realistically, you are recording audiosuite plugins in real time. Since, after all, you're recording what's coming off of the AUX onto a new track, your plugs are recorded to that track, with no effects occurring on the audio track...meaning...once you print it to stereo, there is no turning back on your effects. This should work. Once you take off the effects on the aux track and the project is done, there is no difference in how the finished track would sound...ever...

You just can't run audiosuite plugins in real time unless it's the RTAS...which are audiosuite afterall...

Sorry, running myself through circles here. I know you don't want to run Aux's, so I need to know what digi says about this. Post it on the board when they figured it out for you! I'm stumped!

Ian
Old 09-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Dude, read the thread from the top, we're almost there you and me!!

I was trying to explain to you that I have to use Audiosuite plugs in most instances. I fully understand that they are not real time, which is why I said they had to be recorded to track.

Forget aux input, I will go back to running through mackie if that's the only option.

I will post the response from digi.

Thanks again,
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Chris, thanks for the response. Unfortunately there is no tech department, I'm a free-lancer. I have that y cable, but again, I want to do this in the I/O setup as you mentioned. Can't say that I saw specific instructions for this in the reference guide though. Directions I recieved from digi didn't work out. Maybe I misunderstood. If you know , please explain how to get it done.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM

Is this entire thread a joke?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Dude. I am so confused.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 AM

tip:

create two mono tracks. highlight both tracks and press apple+g... this will group the tracks. if the tracks are grouped, actions are applied on both tracks. then set your inputs with the same interface number (input 1 and so on).

with the latency problem... press low latency monitoring and route all your outputs to analog 1 and 2. this will eliminate all delays.

Since you're starting with a "new" system maybe you should take time to find the best operation flow for you: save all your plugins setting and create templates so you wont be setting up from scratch everytime you start.

We run a fully automated in-house radio for supermarkets, fast foods, malls and 24/7 shops. And producing an output really fast is the name of the game in our business.

Blessings to all!

JS
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
dre41 - walk down the hall to your tech department and ask them for an XLR Y-split cable. Plug it into two inputs and there you will have your "stereo" signal from your mic.

I just don't understand why you don't create a stereo path in the I/O setup with one input feeding both mono sub-paths.

It's all right there in the reference guide.
Have you tried to create this "dual-mono" input path? I couldn't figure it out! If you can, explain it step by step...

The Y-cable would probably work, as would the A/B box. But really, the group idea Rail put forward is the most elegant, because you are recording the same signal twice, instead of recording two signals once. What he means is that you would create two mono tracks with identical mono inputs, pan them left and right, and create a group for them (apple-G). Name the group. When the group is enabled, any cursor placement, highlighting, fader movements, application of Audiosuite plugs, etc. done to one of the mono tracks will also be done to the other. In this instace, it's just like dealing with a stereo track (except that, functionally, it is a DUAL MONO track).

This is a quick and dirty explanation; read up on grouping tracks if you haven't already.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 PM

Hey fellas thanks for the great feedback!!

The grouped mono tracks sound good at first but I wouldn't be allowed to "print" stereo efx with the seperated tracks. Which is my motivation for wanting/using a stereo channel.

I still have not contacted digi with the I/O setup follow up questions. When I attempted to set up the inputs as suggested. Moving the "m" over top of the other etc, it didn't work for me either.

This is a rather simple issue that I didn't anticipate being so complicated.

Let you know what I find out.