Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 AM

Default MBox with Macbook problem - Help!

Hi Guys,

Apologies if I've missed this in the search function but I have an issue running an Mbox with PT 7.1.1 on a Macbook 2.0 Intel Core Duo with 1.5 GB of Ram fitted.

Basically, every time I hit record I get a 9136 error and it suggests getting rid of plug-ins, increasing HW buffer etc.

I've created a test session consisting of no plug-ins and 1 mono track with HW Buffer set to maximum and have followed all the recommendations on this page to the letter : http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...1&itemid=20677

Still no joy and I have tried this session on both the internal drive and my external FW drive. Also, I have plugged the Mbox and drive into my desktop G5 and opened the same session and it records with absolutely no problem at all! Just to be extra sure, I have also opened the same session on my Macbook on the system drive but with my 002r connected and again there are no problems. Why should this happen with just the MBox? Incidentally, I have also tried using both USB ports which has no effect.

I'm absolutely baffled by this so am hoping it may be some known conflict which someone here can let me know about (I'm afraid I don't follow the DUC often enough). Any help or advice would be very much appreciated as although the 002r works, I like being able to take my MBox with me when travelling...I'd hate to have to sell it!

Many thanks,

Gylen
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Avid

Default Re: MBox with Macbook problem - Help!

Have you run the firmware updater for the Mbox? Which port on the MacBook have you connected the Mbox to? Have you tried all the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting thread yet?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I tried updating the Firmware and I've tried both ports (I realise the frontmost one is the officially supported one) but it makes no difference. I've been working through the general troubleshooting page and I think the only option left is to try and re-install PT. I will get onto that as soon as I have a moment and post my findings - thanks again.

Gylen
Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 AM

oh oh

This is exactly what is happening to me on a MAC Mini 1.83ghz intel dula core.

I thought it was just a RAM problem but looks serious. I have evem bought 2 gigs of RAM not installed yet.

Come on Digi whats up.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 PM

I also have a MacBook and an Mbox and 7.1.1,
and I have the same exact problem!!!
Help us! What can we do?
This is so sad.
Jacob
Old 12-09-2006, 01:03 PM

Here's more information about my experience:

I’m running a MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 1.256 Gigs of Ram, 60G internal, 200G external LaCie Firewire drive, ProTools LE 7.1.1 and MBox (1)

No matter what I have the buffer size settings at, no matter if I select one or 2 processors, no matter what the cpu usage limit and no matter what the DAE Playback Buffer size, no matter how many tracks I’m running, I get the same error message:

“CPU usage is holding off USB audio. Remove some plug-ins, delete some tracks, or increase the “H/W Buffer Size” in the Playback Engine dialog. (-9136)”

I’ve opened the window for PCI, CPU and DISK usage, and the CPU and DISK usage never exceeds 10 – 15 percent on the scale.

Sometimes, after this message, Pro Tools won’t play or record until I change the above settings. Then it will work again (even if I decrease the buffer size!) for a little while until it gives the message again. Sometimes it will work after the message, sometimes it won’t until I change the settings.

Due to the above experience that this happens with Mbox and not other hardware, it seems there's a problem with the Mbox and the Macbook not agreeing using LE 7.1.1.

Jacob
Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I'm recording with an mbox 1, everytime I put the buffer size to a min. level so I have min. latency it tells me to increase my buffer size, then I increase it and it tells me to decrease it??
Old 12-10-2006, 11:04 AM

I'm having a similar problem on my C2D MBPro...pretty frustrating since poor PT performance was a big reason I switched to Mac...it isn't any more stable on my MBP than it was on my 1.5ghz Pentium-M Dell! So much for Mac being the savior...hopefully Digi will do something to make this run better...
Old 12-11-2006, 12:37 PM

Does anybody know if these problems are fixed with Pro Tools 7.3??
Old 12-28-2006, 01:43 AM

NO !!! It is not fixed with PTLE 7.3

I just bought a Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo. I get the same 9136 error with My Mbox 1 with minimal tracks and no plug-ins... There is a serious issue here..