Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 02:34 PM

Default New Purchase

I would like to hear from those who have purchased a C-24 recently (6 months or so).

My question is, are there still several umimplemented items, and has the C-24 seen any recent updates.

My concern (based on articles here) is that the C-24 might be a "thing of the past" with Digi, or is it still in favor and being looked after by them.

Thanks in advance.

LB
Old 03-27-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: New Purchase

We've had a Control 24 for a few months.

The supplier assured us that it was still very much supported by Digidesign and that more features are continually being added. Basically this couldn't be further from the truth. We have sent numerous messages to Digidesign regarding features not yet implemented and we have had only one response. Digidesign will continue to provide tech support and warranty assistance but the Control 24 has now "reached the end of it's development cycle".

We have found that many of the features quoted by our supplier (Andy Brooks at Gearbox), many of these features are not yet available and never will be. Essentially we feel that it's an incomplete product, and certainly feel very let down by Digidesign.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:48 PM

Wait for the Icon Jr. at a dealer near you. No need to waste development resources on the C24, however, it's still a great value for what you get.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:19 AM

Just curious, Whats Icon Junior? I presume a smaller simpler Icon, but I've never heard anything about it. I dont own a control surface yet but take an interest in them.
Crucial 1gig DDR PC3200 CAS3
Western Digital 80GB x2
Radeon 9200SE 64 DDR
Enermax Noisetaker 370W
Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 AM

Lots of rumours about a icon jnr.. nothing released..
I do not think any more development will go into a Control24..
I cannot remember any of the "cannot be used buttons" ever being added since the first unit.
Can anyone else remember any coming online.
I hoped for the 10 inserts.
the metering of different levels throughout a plugin etc.
Although what 2 years on.. nothing
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 AM

To all that have replied to my original post....
thanks SO MUCH for "heading me off at the pass". I sincerely appreciate it.

JL
Old 03-28-2005, 06:05 AM

It's quite incredible that Digidesign release a product at this cost, then do nothing to actually fulfill it's promises. Too many buttons remain redundant and features promised that remain unimplemented. Digidesign's only answer so far is to ignore the problem. We've now notched up over 20 unanswered (polite) emails relating to unimplemented features/buttons on the Control 24.

What's to say that the same issues aren't repeated with the new Icon?

I would certainly not recommend the Control 24, especially when there so many better options at a much cheaper price which can do much more.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
It's quite incredible that Digidesign release a product at this cost, then do nothing to actually fulfill it's promises. Too many buttons remain redundant and features promised that remain unimplemented. Digidesign's only answer so far is to ignore the problem. We've now notched up over 20 unanswered (polite) emails relating to unimplemented features/buttons on the Control 24.

What's to say that the same issues aren't repeated with the new Icon?

I would certainly not recommend the Control 24, especially when there so many better options at a much cheaper price which can do much more.
Welcome to Digidesign. Get used to it.

Quote:
What's better for the price? When you are talking ethernet controllers, you only have Control 24, Pro Control, and Icon/D-Control. Control 24 is the least expensive of the three. Sure there are plenty of MIDI controllers out there for less, but they don't offer the same functions. Control 24 has a lot of bang for the buck despite its flaws and unimplemented functions. Enjoy what you can use, and forget about what could've been but what will never be.

rcm
Old 03-29-2005, 07:23 AM

As I have heard, the C-24 is allot of bang for the buck, however (to me) there is more to it.
If I'm going to do business with a company it's because I trust them, and am confident of their product representation. When a company (or its representatives/retailers) default or mislead customers (as I have read here especially about "updates) then I can only assume that the same will occur with other product lines by this company. I'm not going to have some sales rep smirking behind his desk looking at by check thinking.."I gotcha!!".

I guess what amazes me most, is the void of any response from Digidesign.
Too busy counting their money I guess.

lb
Old 03-29-2005, 09:36 AM

Lunchbucket,
I appreciate the "stand" you're taking and your feeling Digi should repond to you. I own 2 Control 24's and I think they are excellent for my needs with or without the buttons being updated. I do not know of any better device for the money, and if there was one what it's shortcommings might be. I would imagine it's list would be far more than the Control 24. If you read through this forum you will see that I initiated the topic "Control 24 List, Please Post Here" for this exact thing so Digi could have feedback about issues such as yours.
Would you also let us know what other options you were talking about instead of the Control 24?
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.