Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2023, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Presonus Faderport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
Hi daeron80

Would you mind expanding on your observation that the automation was disabled on the selected track?

Thanks

Sparky
Back in the days of PT9, it worked fine. The motorized fader on the FP1 would follow PT volume automation. But sometime after Avid dropped HUI support, the FP1 fader stopped following PT automation. PT followed FP1 fader position, but not vice versa. So, if, for example, I had a guitar track with volume automation on it, when it was selected, the guitar track would be stuck at whatever the FP1 fader was at. For a while, I tried keeping an unused audio track in my session at all times, and parking my FP1 there when it wasn't being used to write automation. But after a while, it just wasn't worth it any more. It got in the way more than it helped.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-12-2023, 08:31 AM

Odd behavior, Daeron….I’ve been using mine since PT10, thru 2023.3 on Windows, and now with 2023.6 on MAC Ventura (not “supported” but it works perfectly) without a hiccup. Did you do a firmware update? I was ready to get a V2 Faderport, but the 1st-Gen unit still does the job.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for your time albee1952 - I did check out the V Control Pro software you mentioned. Looks like almost a necessity…

I want to make sure I understood something about FP2. Without the V Control Pro Software - an I able to write automation? I almost get the impression I need this software as well to enable automation writing…

Thanks

Sparky
It appears that if you want decent FP2 functionality with Pro Tools, you need to buy V-Control, and it ain’t cheap. Plus, V-Control still doesn’t support all FP2 control features. I bought it, and it does what I need to tweak automation.

This video sums up what the updated FP2 can do. Setup instructions start at 3:40.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab4koB37VjM
Old 10-12-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Odd behavior, Daeron….I’ve been using mine since PT10, thru 2023.3 on Windows, and now with 2023.6 on MAC Ventura (not “supported” but it works perfectly) without a hiccup. Did you do a firmware update? I was ready to get a V2 Faderport, but the 1st-Gen unit still does the job.
That's interesting. I have Windows 10 at home, Mac Ventura at work with a FP1 for each. They stopped working properly at about the same time. I did a firmware update once way back, couldn't tell you when. I guess I could try that again.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 10-12-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
It appears that if you want decent FP2 functionality with Pro Tools, you need to buy V-Control, and it ain’t cheap. Plus, V-Control still doesn’t support all FP2 control features. I bought it, and it does what I need to tweak automation.

This video sums up what the updated FP2 can do. Setup instructions start at 3:40.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab4koB37VjM
I had a FP1 and couldn't get along with the sluggish, low-res fader. Watching this video I'm impressed with how extensively V-Control can adapt the FP2 for Pro Tools but the fader motion still looks mushy.

This isn't meant to discount the experiences of other users. Some of you are obviously happy with the Faderport. My opinion is if you can afford the desktop real-estate I think it's worth saving up for an S1.

EDIT: Maybe what I'm seeing is the consequence of low-light, slow shutter camera work? Can anyone who's used both make a comparison?
Old 10-18-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for your time albee1952 - I did check out the V Control Pro software you mentioned. Looks like almost a necessity…

I want to make sure I understood something about FP2. Without the V Control Pro Software - am I able to write automation? I almost get the impression I need this software as well to enable automation writing…

Thanks

Sparky
You can use the FP V2 without nyrinck for most things(including writing automation), but that program just makes it better As for how to tell what track you are on, the selected track's name should be highlighted on the screen(either MIX or EDIT window). Sometimes I quickly hit the MUTE button twice to see if the track I want is the track I am actually on. The things that nyrinck makes better(for me) include:
1-selecting a track to adjust/control is easier than regular HUI
2-moving thru lots of tracks is much easier(click on any track name and hit the FP Channel button and that's the track under control)
3-plugin parameter control
I'm not sure there is a "perfect" controller at any price, but the FP V2/nyrinck combo gives an awful lot for the money, especially if you get a deal on the FP by buying used If you have more money to spend, the Faderport 8 also con use V-Control Pro for extra goodness

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You can use the FP V2 without nyrinck for most things(including writing automation), but that program just makes it better As for how to tell what track you are on, the selected track's name should be highlighted on the screen(either MIX or EDIT window). Sometimes I quickly hit the MUTE button twice to see if the track I want is the track I am actually on. The things that nyrinck makes better(for me) include:
1-selecting a track to adjust/control is easier than regular HUI
2-moving thru lots of tracks is much easier(click on any track name and hit the FP Channel button and that's the track under control)
3-plugin parameter control
I'm not sure there is a "perfect" controller at any price, but the FP V2/nyrinck combo gives an awful lot for the money, especially if you get a deal on the FP by buying used If you have more money to spend, the Faderport 8 also con use V-Control Pro for extra goodness

This is very helpful and I think you helped me decide I should take a chance on it...

Will watch for Black Friday sales and hopefully save a few pennies on one...

Thanks albee1952 - much appreciated

Sparky
Old 11-20-2023, 02:22 AM

Yep, so this is what really drove me nuts about the Faderport and why it ended up in my "box of useless gadgets."

I mean, maybe it's the HUI implementation to blame and it's fine on other DAWs, but on Tools it just feels like a semi-pro pile of cråp.

https://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1700475696

https://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1700475696
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 10.15.27.png (9.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 10.14.28.png (53.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2023, 08:31 AM

Have to agree to disagree here. Works perfectly on my MAC and Win both, even outside “supported” versions.