Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Default Re: PT12 session On Mac or Pc and back

Dave

You are making this too hard for yourself.

Start by realizing there is a difference in transferring files between different systems and what filesystems Pro Tools needs to actually run on.

A Mac (without any third party software) can read/write HFS+ and more recent macOS versions also AFS, as well as Windows flavor filesystems: read and write FAT32 and exFAT and can read but not write NTFS.

Pro Tools on a Mac (without any third party software) *requires* the sessions be on a HFS+ or AFS filesystem, even though you can "see" a session on Mac on FAT32 or exFAT or NTFS you can't run it there.

With the addition of third party software like Paragon's NTFS support, Macs can write as well as read NTFS and Pro Tools can then run on NTFS on a Mac with that software (but only on NTFS not FAT32 or exFAT).

A PC (without any third party software) can read/write FAT32, exFAT and NTFS but cannot read or write HFS+ or AFS filesystems.

Pro Tools on a PC (without any third party software) requires the sessions be on a NTFS filesystem, even though you can "see" a session on PC on FAT32 or exFAT filesystems you can't run it there. Third party software also provides the ability to run on HFS+ filesystems on a PC.

---

But to start with just put the files on a FAT32 or better exFAT external drive or USB stick. That is just a transfer medium, a quality USB stick is really the ideal device there. Carry it around in your pocket (but have backups elsewhere).

If going to the PC then drag those files onto an NTFS filesystem to run Pro Tools with that session. And copy them back to the external drive or USB stick when done.

If going to the Mac then drag those files onto a HFS+ or AFS filesystems to use Pro Tools. And copy them back to the external drive or USB stick when done.

Or you can also copy across file sharing on a network between the Mac and PC, all that matters is the session ends up on a Pro Tools supported filesystem for that platform.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Darryl, Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me all this information and I have sent a copy of it to the Engineer with the MAC. Unfortunately, I don't know his operating or file system level... so he can see that.

I have no issue with purchasing any utility software to get the Job done right and I'm sure once we look this over, get the Memory stick with the files on it I'l have a better understanding what is going on...

Once I get word back from the other guy I'l update you on our progress...

I do appreciate the time you spent to help me with this..

Have a good evening.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Note: Darryl is recommending NOT using any third party software to begin with. What he is recommending you try first is copying the session you are working on from, for example, your PC to an external drive, be that USB stick or other, formatted Fat32 or better yet exFat. Then taking that to the Mac computer and copying the session from the external drive to the Mac. Work on the session on the Mac. Copy the worked on session from the Mac to the external drive - rename it to Session Name 001. Take the external back to your PC and copy the file back to your PC. Work on the file. Then copy it back to the external - adding a number to the name each time - take it to the Mac, copy it back to the Mac, work on the session. Copy it back to the external, rinse and repeat. This way the session is always worked on without going through third party software and you will have a trail of sessions you can go back to. Obviously you will need a large external drive if you wish to keep the trail of sessions, but 4 tb portable drives are inexpensive.

You could also zip the session and Dropbox or similar back and forth.

If the above doesn't work, then go to a third party solution.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 06-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM

The Weed, thanks for the further Information I appreciate it.

Like I mentioned above the person with the mac formated the external drive he has to I beleive at the time to Fat32 copied his session from the Mac to that drive and brought the drive to our studio.

I took that drive, plugged it in to my computer Windows 7 64 and my computer could not see the drive at all.

We removed the session files from the drive, plugged it back in to the computer and I could see the drive. The, I formatted the drive to Exfat and he put the session back on the drive, plugged it in and I could not see the drive.

We are going to find another external drive and start over.

In my reading, the software MacDrive or Paragon installed on my commuter it will let my computer recognize the drive and files then I 'd copy that to my computer.... (Hard Drive, Usb stick - what ever) Do ouur work and then copy the new updated session back to thee HD or Stick and take it back to the Mac...

Since I don't have a Mac here I have to wait to talk to the guy who owns the Mac and see if any of these idea works for us... Until then, I"m at a standstill for now..
Dave
Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM

You don't seem to be taking in the information that has been given to you. Just re-format that drive as NTFS. The MAC will be able to see it and you can then transfer the PT files to it. Read and inwardly digest the post by The Weed.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Wizzyboy... I don't know why you think that... I said in my last post, I do not have the MAC, It is owned by another Engineer which I have not seen since Saturday... I don't have access to his computer... so Until I get back in touch with him and we can try out what has been discussed I"m at a stand still... does that make sense to you? I am hoping that I will see him perhaps tomorrow and that is when I can get more information on exactly what his Mac set up is... It would be nice if all I have to do is take a NTFS crive to his place, copy the files and then copy them back on to my system...

I will post what transpires once I am back in touch with the other engineer and we can work together on the drive and files.... I can't do anymore until then...
Old 06-18-2018, 03:21 PM

"It would be nice if all I have to do is take an NTFS drive to his place, copy the files and then copy them back on to my system."

This is exactly what you can do only using a Fat32 or better yet exFat formatted drive.
SonoBus

Last edited by The Weed; 06-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM

The Weed, In reading your comment, I had found an interesting article which you may want to read, This article says, Yes, Mac can read NTFs drives but cannot write to them (with out 3rd party software and Paragon is the program that this article suggests... .

In our case if you recall the original sessions will be brought over from the MAC on disc as a PT session. According to this article Mac can not write to a NTFS drive in it's standard set up, he would need the 3rd party software.

The good thing is both MacDrive and Paragon have 5 and 10 day trials on their software... so, it will be interesting to check it out...

But, you comment of just using a NTFS drive is only half correct according to this article.

https://www.howtogeek.com/236055/HOW...IVES-ON-A-MAC/
Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 PM

You are correct and I am getting ahead of myself. I will correct my posts. To start, just do what Darryl suggested. Format an external drive Fat32 or better yet exFat and COPY the files to it and only use it as a transfer medium, not the drive you're going to use to work on the sessions in Pro Tools.

Or, as I mentioned, just zip the session folder and send it Dropbox or similar. Best if you zip the session folder with no compression.
SonoBus
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 PM

No Problem The Weed, it will all get worked out.. Someone also suggested uploading the session to a NAS Drive (which I have) and I could give him access to a specific folder and he can retrieve it in the studio or at his place... but, that's the future.

Where in Toronto do you live, my brother lives in Gormley and has a company in Markham! We come up about 1 a year for a visit....
Dave