Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 03-13-2016, 08:18 AM

Default Re: S6 Workflow

Hah! I love that you made a spreadsheet. Geeky is good. I'm buying you a beer if I ever find myself in England.

Speaking of workflows, you should post your list of 'most used sod keys'. I think that applies to this thread topic. I'll do the same if I find time this week.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Hah! I love that you made a spreadsheet. Geeky is good. I'm buying you a beer if I ever find myself in England.

Speaking of workflows, you should post your list of 'most used sod keys'. I think that applies to this thread topic. I'll do the same if I find time this week.
Thanks for the beer offer. Yeah I'd be interested to see how other people have customised their sod keys!

Oops. Meant to attach photos. Hang on a sec.....

My main "home screen". Bear in mind I'm a composer.

Same thing with the shift modifier held down.

There are shift modifiers for the above four pages but that's probably quite enough pics!

All the Automation, Group, Playlist and Memory location pages are one click away with one click to get back "home". I've also reassigned the numbers keypad to select Edit Modes and Tools. Pressing and holding Ctrl gets my numbers back.

Last edited by Marsdy; 03-13-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 AM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing that. Looks like you put a ton of work into it. Don't forget to save a backup to a thumb drive.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 03-14-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Very nice. Thanks for sharing that. Looks like you put a ton of work into it. Don't forget to save a backup to a thumb drive.
Thanks man. Yeah a lot of work but WELL worth it. It's a joy to work with although I've come across an possible bug I'm about to post about.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm backed up to the rafters!

Last edited by Marsdy; 03-14-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Avid

Greetings,

I am going to stoke this thread a bit partially out of curiosity how users are working on S6. I'll give you some of my opinions and workflows, please add your own experiences. Thanks in advance!

I currently have a 16 Fader (Fader, MTM/MAM, Fader) 5-knob configuration M40. I have settled into a left to right workflow. I will usually bring up VCA's (or layouts which may contain VCA's) in the Left 8-Fader Zone. I have my Auto-Spill prefs set up to automatically Spill into the Right 8-Fader Zone - so simply pressing an Attention button on a VCA (guitars) gives me access to all of the members of that food group quickly. I have VCA's created for all of the essential food groups for a music session: drums, percussion, vox, bgs, etc. in addition to FX and SUBS. In a session with more complex (lots of vocals) I take advantage of nested VCA's. I have a vLdVox VCA and a vBGs VCA for all the backgrounds then created a mix group composed of those two called vAllVox. This way it is easy to Auto-Spill vAllVox which brings up my Leads and BGs VCA's on the right side. Spill in again to tweak individual BGs, etc.

SUBS is actually called vSubs (I'm a stickler for naming conventions) and it contains all of my Aux submasters: keys, drums, vox, etc. which can be easily attenuated globally from that VCA. vFX is composed of all of the Effects Returns (both internal and external) and provides a simple way to spill in and get to any given effect to tweak or attenuate. You can also use these (after you've spilled) in AFL/PFL mode to simply listen to a Reverb or Delay. This has gotten much easier on Pro Tools 12.

Once a food group is spilled to the right: vPerc for example, I will typically EQ in an Expand mode. Pressing EQ can be setup in Pref's to automatically Attention that track as well. Soon, we may even have the ability to jump it into Expand as well which is the best way in my opinion to tweak an EQ on the S6.

If you are Monitoring with XMON or DAD I would recommend checking out SHIFT + . on the Numeric section of the Master Automation Module. This is great for quickly changing source inputs and speakers without having to bring up the dedicated monitor page on the MTM. More thoughts later...

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-09-2016, 07:46 AM

Well I'm still blown away with my S6 AND it just keeps getting better.

At the moment I'm assigning every track to a VCA Master. Strings, Brass, Woodwind, Drum VCAs. VCAs for everything. All those VCAs are assigned to a master trim VCA. If I solo that I can hear tracks I may have forgotten to assign to a VCA and also pull that down and therefore every other VCA if I'm overloading my main outs.

Then I can balance sections of the orchestra against each other, spill a VCA into my right spill zone of 16 faders. In the left spill zone I can bank through that and select other VCAs. I also have it set up so the attentioned/selected track is immediately to the right of the master modules right in front of me. I also have drum and orchestral percussion solo VCAs. All my drum tracks are routed to a bus so there's just two drum aux tracks, (one for parallel compression,) routed to my drum VCA. The drum solo VCA allows me to spill all the drum tracks assigned to the drum auxes, solo them and pull down the levels if I'm overloading the Drum aux tracks. I'm loving this workflow.

When I first got my S6, Layouts were limited to the number of physical faders on your system. This just didn't work for me. However, I know this was changed in v2.2 along with other improvements so I need to relook at Layouts.

A couple of issues though. The Plug-In EUCON command is buggy and inconsistent in it's operation. I know you guys are working on this though.

Another bug. If I drag track 230 up to track 10 for example, the Edit window suddenly jumps back pages down to the new track 230. The S6 doesn't follow. I know there's a workaround for this by turning off Edit Window Follows Bank selection but I want it to!!!

Overall though, Mega-happy with my S6. It's sped up my workflow immensely, especially now I have done my own set of Softkeys.

Good job I bought it when I did. Due to the post Brexit plummet in the value of the pound against the dollar it is now going to be MUCH more expensive I think.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Forgot to mention. With my own appset of softkeys I soon got familiar with where everything is, partly because I put it there!!!

It doesn't take long to your muscle memory to kick in and I'm often hitting softkeys barely even looking. That's a LOT better than a three digit keyboard command!!!

And as I said in a previous post, the S6 seems to have fixed my RSI problems!!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Hey Jeff!!!

Wondering if this has been covered. Is there a way to assign a fader to automate a plugin on the S6 without having to flip through many different screens to get there ? Wishing there was a quick and dirty way to get this happening!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:39 PM
Avid

In 3.6 there is Expand Faders. Just press Attention and Exp. Now touch a knob you want on a fader and the fader where you want it.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 AM
Avid

Greetings,

As Eddie mentioned, Expand Faders are definitely the most powerful way to automate plug-in parameters (or frankly any parameter - sends, pan, etc.) from the S6's high resolution faders. Yes, we still have basic FLIP, however it is rather limited as it goes row by row.

The beauty of Expand Faders is that you really only have to map your essential plug-ins (reverbs, delays, multi-bands, noise reduction, upmixers, design plugs) once and then make sure you save that as a template you can use over again thereby maintain the mapping. You get 2 8-Fader pages of parameter control per plug-in including IN and SEL switched functions which are facilitated by the Select and Mute switches on the Fader Modules. We now even include some really nice visual feedback on the fader LED meters to show the values of the parameters for Q, Pre-Delay, Gain, etc. Dig into the S6 OP or 3.7 User Guide and let us know if you have any questions.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ