Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-07-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Autotune bounce adds pops/clicks

In PT5.2.1 (1gig ram, G4, OS 9.2.2) when I bounce a track (usually a vocal) with autotune (v 3.0) on it, I've suddenly got some added pops and clicks in my new audio file. They seem to be random and will be different if I bounce the same file more than once, but I can't prevent them. Autotune settings don't seem to affect it.
I end up spending a lot of time removing them.

Anyone else experience this problem?
Any ideas on how to prevent it?
Old 02-08-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Autotune bounce adds pops/clicks

I've had this problem since day one when I bought Auto Tune. It seems also that we are no the only ones, there is another topic discussing this problem, but very old...

One of the workarounds I found is to process the bit of audio starting way before the waveform starts... let's see if I can explain this better.

If you have a vocal track edited so that every word or sentece starts with the audio waveform, if you apply AT you'll get the mighty noise, BUT if you select the audio region and select also a bit before then the chances of getting those sounds are less. That's what I saw and what I always do now.

So far Antares has not given me a correct answer to solve this problem.

Normally one second before the audio region starts does the trick.

Hope it helps.

Al.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Definitily, But I Would say that this hapens not just when you bounce the track. The polug in does it by itselp, You need to check, living it open for the whole track doesn't work at all...
Scsi(64)-18 giga cheetah
Ide 80 giga (7200)
Old 02-08-2004, 09:26 PM

Quote:
living it open for the whole track doesn't work at all...
what you're implying here makes my skin crawl... leaving an instance of Autotune 'open' for a whole track? Get a better singer. Autotune isn't meant for that (unless you're using it as a 'special' effect, i.e. not on vox). Do a search on the forum for the correct way to process files using autotune - it's not like a compressor where you slap on a track and leave it there, it's more like an Audiosuite plug that you use to process little bits of audio.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:

what you're implying here makes my skin crawl... leaving an instance of Autotune 'open' for a whole track? Get a better singer.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:10 PM

Ignored HL boy...
Scsi(64)-18 giga cheetah
Ide 80 giga (7200)
Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 PM

Regarding the use of Auto-tune, let me say something real quick.

Yes, I do agree that leaving Auto-Tune open for an entire session usually means that the singer could be a bit better, and you should try to fix it at the source with vowels, general pronunciation, and check out their moonitor mix and see if that have something to reference to.

However, in a lot of pop music, especially vocal groups (like NSync), autotune may be used on the entire track to give them a perfect quality. But, I feel that a very very slightly off-pitch vocal part (like a cent or two) gives a track the same quality as analog warmth would give to a digital chill.

Normally I will leave it open in auto-mode for an entire song to just see where the problem areas may be (cause it may be tough to tell in a dense mix), and then just apply it to that area with the graphical mode.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:03 PM

I have to say that You just said the perfect way to use it.

Most of cases I use graphical mode, and when I wanna correct the part that I processed, I never ever use audiosuite to do it. Because You'll have to listen the track all over and check if have click, pops, or wrong tunning.

I always Bus to another track and record it, and solo both tracks to be shure that nothing "weird" will happen, than I replace in the original track the part that I just fixed.

Leaving the auto-tune for the hole track almost never work in auto. Once and while You'll get "Maddona" auto tune effect on some word, when you ashlly didn't want it.

I would say that, trying to correct the hole track leaving auto tune in auto position, it's a Lazy engineering in my point of view.

For doing that, Melodyne Works much better.

Have a good one.
Scsi(64)-18 giga cheetah
Ide 80 giga (7200)