Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Re: hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The output buffer is exactly for the use of Native plugins and VI's, the cards are already set at a fix internal buffer that is not accessible by the user. So you can put a high output buffer to have a high native plugin count (watch out for eating voice count if you dont place the plugins in the right order native vs dsp) and to use VI without suffering performance drop.
so exactly what I said.

So.. how does it perform at low buffer playing VI's live?

Please excuse my frustration.. you have no idea how difficult it is to find out this information.. I have been trying since last September
Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 PM

the same way a native rig does…less latency when playing keys and stuff. I must set my system at 128 to be comfortable to use vim's.

ej
Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
the same way a native rig does…less latency when playing keys and stuff. I must set my system at 128 to be comfortable to use vim's.

ej
hi do you mean comfortable for latency, or for performance?

I am really worried about performance specifically at 64 buffer at 44K

or 128 buffer at 96K

those are unusable for me with core audio Pro Tools, cpu spikes galore - but i can use them in cubase and Logic..

I was hoping the HDX might be better since it talks directly to pro tools rather than core audio.

Right now the minimum i can use is 128 at 44k and 256 at 96k
Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:

ej
Do you have native plugs coming after the VI's or something on the master bus? Among other things I track drums through a Roland kit at 1024 and I'm fairly sensitive to latency.

TNM - Do you know anyone with HDx in your area? Getting your hands on it would be a good way to feel it out. In the off chance you find yourself in New York city you are welcome to check it out with me.

Tracking anything with HDx is great because of this as I often record MIDI parts after many tracks have been laid down.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Do you have native plugs coming after the VI's or something on the master bus? Among other things I track drums through a Roland kit at 1024 and I'm fairly sensitive to latency.

TNM - Do you know anyone with HDx in your area? Getting your hands on it would be a good way to feel it out. In the off chance you find yourself in New York city you are welcome to check it out with me.

Tracking anything with HDx is great because of this as I often record MIDI parts after many tracks have been laid down.

C
i am still working out the kinks in my rig and about to upgrade my mac pro cheese grater cpu to 3.46 12 core. i currently am running:

mac pro 3.06 12 core
64 gigs of ram
pt hdx 12.4
mac os 10.8.5
magma eb7 chassis

that being said their may be some issues with my rig that i am looking into as I am not getting the expected performance out of my system that i would like (uneven cpu usage and spikes, drop outs at lower buffer settings and jumpy mouse, aae 9171 errors sometimes cause by scrolling or gui tweaks in plugins).

i did a test earlier today and on the same session there was little difference between cpu usage running hd native and hdx (yes i can run either playback engine). When tracking vocals today there was no noticeable latency issues at a 512 buffer. when using keyscape there was a noticeable lag. once i got down to 128 buffer it was for sure playable. at 64 buffer it was fantastic but i was getting spikes and dropouts…which i should not be getting on my system.

issue could be mac hardware related, os related or Pro tools 12.4 related…not sure yet.

what was really cool though is that i was able to record with this chain

keyscape
brainworx n console dsp
uad 1176 rev A native
revibe dsp
compressor bank native

however when running hd native i could record through the same chain. once if figure everything out I should be able to do this at a 128 or 64 buffer and just leave it without worry. that is the goal for me.

once i get the kinks worked out then it will be awesome.

Final note. when discussing with some of my composer friends on hdx and trash can macs, they prefer doing all of their midi through vep instead of protools. I don't particularly enjoy sequencing in pro tools as i find it a bit cumbersome but do like the ability to add parts if needed when editing or mixing.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:32 AM

no the spikes and dropouts at 64 is pro tools related..

so sadly it's the same.

I don't know anyway of testing a hdx system with anyone nearby, i only know those with HDN and 64 was not very usable for VI's and lots of armed tracks with effects.

This is why i might as well just stick witch my apollo at 128 buffer and monitor through console rather than spending all that money...

Or just complete the migration to cubase.

thanks for your help
Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM

I will upgrade CPU by mid next week. Did an autotune test today to see how it works recording thru auto tune. I've always had tdm versions so leaving it at 512 buffer has always been fine. Autotune native on hdx has delay of over 1000 samples....even the live version. Buffer has to be at 256 or lower in order for AT to be useable. 128 was better. 64 was fantastic but I can't sustain that.

Will see what happens after CPU upgrade.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I will upgrade CPU by mid next week. Did an autotune test today to see how it works recording thru auto tune. I've always had tdm versions so leaving it at 512 buffer has always been fine. Autotune native on hdx has delay of over 1000 samples....even the live version. Buffer has to be at 256 or lower in order for AT to be useable. 128 was better. 64 was fantastic but I can't sustain that.

Will see what happens after CPU upgrade.
you are upgrading to windows or a cheese grater mac? The cpu upgrades on the cheese graters will not make a lick of difference to let you work at 64.

Autotune live has 0 samples.. so if you set the buffer at 128, there is no way it is 1000 samples total even through the HDX double buffer. The moderator at gearslutz uses autotune live in HDX at 164 samples total.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
you are upgrading to windows or a cheese grater mac? The cpu upgrades on the cheese graters will not make a lick of difference to let you work at 64.

Autotune live has 0 samples.. so if you set the buffer at 128, there is no way it is 1000 samples total even through the HDX double buffer. The moderator at gearslutz uses autotune live in HDX at 164 samples total.
not true when recording. Remember that when using a native plugin to record on tdm or hdx, you must put a dsp plugin before it. doing so has it going thru 2 different engines plus I have an expansion chassis. delay comp is showing over 1000 samples at 512 buffer and 522 samples at 256 buffer.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
not true when recording. Remember that when using a native plugin to record on tdm or hdx, you must put a dsp plugin before it. doing so has it going thru 2 different engines plus I have an expansion chassis. delay comp is showing over 1000 samples at 512 buffer and 522 samples at 256 buffer.
sorry but i believe the moderator of gearslutz.. i don't know what buffer he is at but he told me he runs autotune live through HDX at 164 samples.. maybe he is using 64 buffer? So what exactly did I say that was untrue?