Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: The new “Standard” CPU specific test for PTLE

10 hits the red
Dropped to 9, but attempted playback froze the machine (and I'm not doing any more hard-reboots...)

800 MGhz G4, 2002 Quicksilver
768MB

It's painful, but I'm pretty close to moving to the PC for audio/video. I know my G4 is an old machine, but a P4 laptop I use at work (purchased at the same time as my G4) absolutely squashes my Mac. Same amount of RAM and same Firewire drive.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:01 PM

1.8 GHZ Dual Processor G5
1.5 gig of Ram
10.3.3 OSX
99% CPU Setting
Pro Tools 6.2.3 Digi002 Rack

48 Dverbs
running at 5:00 about 75% CPU usage. While running at 50 it says lost connection with 002.

Will Provide Screen Shots and or Video for any doubters!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 PM

Dear Technician,

I pasted this from the front page of this forum "" No "Mac vs. PC" platform wars allowed on the DUC"". Please take your PC Rant over to the PC Forum. If music production was like NASCAR, your obsession with ranting on this forum might be understandable, and maybe you don't appreciate or understand why most people on this forum would never use a PC with Pro Tools when they could use a Mac, even if it cost $10,000 more, but it sounds like you might need to have yourself taken in for a tune up. Are you related to Bill Gates, did someone at Apple steal your girlfriend, or are you lacking in some other area that wouldn't be appropriate to discuss here?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Technician,

I have no doubt you could write about this subject all day, which is precisely why im afraid to hear your mixes. Macs are every bit as configurable and flexible as pcs, if you've spent 10 years working on them.

I don't disagree you with you that people are still unnecessarily wary of audio on pc. but get a life and learn OSX properly before let loose with a ridiculous rant like that.

Protools on Linux? now i'd be there in a second. B.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:10 AM

I know nothing about "NASCAR" and have no clue why your comparing anything to it. It makes no sence to me. People have to wake up and quit falling for the "hype" of mac. The "hype" is just that, talking up something which isn't much to talk up upon. Why pay an extra $2500 for a computer when you can save that money and have something of equal or greater value in performance. It makes NO SENCE. people need to wake up.

Oh, and Bill Gates is my dad, Steve Jobs screwed my girlfriend, and I'm lacking everything in life, except money. since I bought a pc instead of a mac.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:21 AM

just let the Mac users just continue to turn out hit records.

Platform wars are not allowed here. SO i won't say everything I want to say. B.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:44 AM

It seems to me that you're saying that the only reason studios run macs is because macs were first to market, and pioneered the pro audio market. I can live with that. You are repeating the history of the desktop: Macs innovate; PC's imitate.

However, now that mac has gone to an open-source, Unix underpinning, it has become the MOST configurable and tweakable OS (outside of Linux and BSD, which it essentially copied.) It is a far cry from the locked-in days of OS 9, when what you are saying was more or less true.

Anyhow, that's not what the spirit of this thread is about. It's just information, not a competition. I don't understand why you feel that people have to "wake up" or "realize" some truth that you yourself are ordained to share with us. Don't you think that Mac users already know that they can build a cheap, powerful PC? Don't you know that they don't care? Can't you just respect everyone over here and just kindly go away?
Old 03-25-2004, 02:35 PM

sure. I'm out.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 PM

TO ALL:

the only problem is DIGIDESIGN, they had afraid to fully SUPPORT dual G5 machine simmetrically like DP4 or Logic Pro did ...
If both the G5 cpu could load plugs i dont think we find here some PC user ranting his $700 PC machine....

if with only not G5 optimized software and just on one CPU we have 34 d-verb plugs on a dual 2.0ghz ... how many d-verbs using both CPUs ??? ... if not just twice... al least almost TWICE ... and TWICE means 34x2 = 68 ...

and set aside to consider windows XP is a real [bleep] VIRUS ... think about people .. think about this... the real virus is XP !!!

Mac4everPCnever