Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Default HDX installed - good and bad (fan is LOUD!!)

Well,

I had HD3 PCI-x with a PE6R4. Used it with Avid I/O, on a Nehalem 8x2.26. I printed a few mixes through it early today, then again with the hew HDX installed. All same plugs, clocking, etc.

Good news: I haven't done extensive A/B tests yet, but the upper mids feel much smoother and the overall mix feels deeper than the HD version. No glitches yet, but I haven't done editing or recording - just opening mixes and printing.

Bad news: the HDX Fan is AWFUL. I don't have a machine room, partially because all the new gear is so quiet. I have 2 Nehalems, a MacMini, the Avid HD IO, and my MacBook Pro and my room was very very quiet.

Now my room isn't quiet anymore. The difference is huge. The fan is constantly at the same speed, even after boot. It also has a lovely high pitch to it. I am praying they can release a firmware update to slow down the fan. Otherwise, I need to call a contractor to get a machine room built. I'm very upset about the noise.

The DSP usage is pretty fantastic, coming from HD3 Accel. I'll post the screenshots of HD vs HDX in a bit. I don't think I could ever touch the power of this system now, at least for my uses.

Love to hear others who have it installed.

- Kent
Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post

The DSP usage is pretty fantastic, coming from HD3 Accel. I'll post the screenshots of HD vs HDX in a bit. I don't think I could ever touch the power of this system now, at least for my uses.

Love to hear others who have it installed.

- Kent
I'm sorry to hear about the fan. Hope they change it.
I also have a HD3 and would love to see the pictures about DSP! I was afraid that 1 hdx could not be enough for me.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 12-28-2011, 05:26 PM

Default Re: HDX installed - good and bad (fan is LOUD!!)

Here is the system usage of the same session, one on HD3 Accel, one on HDX. The only TDM plug that was used was Revibe (opens as AAX DSP on HDX), and Heat.

HDX is barely getting touched - plenty of power (for me at least).

HDX system usage: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1453227/fearfully%20HDX.png

HD system usage: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1453227/fearfully%20HD.png
Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM

I see you don't have your Timeline Cached on the HDX?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Just forgot to turn it back on after the HDX install.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM

Wow, that's a bummer to hear. But it's not surprising, as the Omni HD had a lot of issues with their fans too. They were able to calm them down with a firmware update. But it makes you wonder why would Digi cut such corners and put in such cheap and noisy fans?

Wondering if it's possible you got a bad one?

But I agree, I hated the 'character' of the Omni fan, and when I first got my Omni, it was way more distracting even than the Mac Pro! And it also had a high pitch 'whine' that was really annoying.

Keep us posted. But for sure find out if everyone else's is doing that as well. Maybe you just got a bum fan on your card?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
Here is the system usage of the same session, one on HD3 Accel, one on HDX. The only TDM plug that was used was Revibe (opens as AAX DSP on HDX), and Heat.

HDX is barely getting touched - plenty of power (for me at least).

HDX system usage: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1453227/fearfully%20HDX.png

HD system usage: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1453227/fearfully%20HD.png
Do I see correctly, that on a TDM system two ReVibe only took one DSP but on HDX it takes two??
Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 AM

From the PDF Read Me

Some Plug-ins Require Exclusive Use a DSP Chip on HDX Hardware Accelerated Systems (PTSW-154614)
Certain plug-ins, such as ReVibe and Reverb One, use direct memory access (DMA) on Avid HDX cards. DMA plug-ins cannot share HDX DSP chips with other plug-ins. Additionally, even though DMA plug-ins of the same type can share a single HDX DSP chip (for example, multiple ReVibe plug-ins can use the same HDX DSP chip), they must be of the same channel width (DMA plug-ins of the same type cannot share the same HDX DSP chip if they have different channel widths).
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 AM

You wouldn't have pics on the cards itself would you Heck, it would be better if I can see two of them chained together. Been wanting to see how they connect with the new connectors.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM

To the op:
You could always get one of these iso boxes: http://www.custom-consoles.com/Isobo...production.php

The one I'm pointing to is the quietest version. The biggest version of this goes for just under $3000 US. You can also get a shelve to mount your computer horizontally in it as well as your other electronics (they show it with a MacPro). Certainly cheaper than having a carpenter come in.

QAPLA!