Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Is this platform developed any further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Reich View Post
Strange ... I have a X8 and the 4.4RC3 driver and there are no problems at all, but of course you are right, the Powercore platform is not really alive anymore. The difference is, that TC announced the end of development and as long as you don't move to a new system you can at least use it the way you did before.

The Artist series was introduced to the PC platform but I was never able to use it the way it is supposed to. Also, I can't use the back and forward buttons on my mouse, as long as EuControl is running.

And what really annoys me is ... they don't seem to give a s..t!

At least a little comment like "we are dealing with the problems", would settle my anger a little. But as it seems, they don't even care.
My Poco is an ancient firewire unit and I had nothing but problems with the 4.xx drivers on my Windows system, and I have a TI chip in the computer. Oh well - at least yours is working okay.

Unfortunately with the Euphonix/Avid units the Windows platform is, as you may know, not the original platform as it was originally a Mac only system. I don't think it made the transition well and that's a shame.

The software problems are only one thing; I'm not ecstatic about the build quality. Too plasticky for me. And too lightweight - they slide around on the table top easily. I could add more but that wouldn't serve any purpose.

As a friend of mine used to say: great idea but the execution sucks.

QAPLA!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
My Poco is an ancient firewire unit and I had nothing but problems with the 4.xx drivers on my Windows system, and I have a TI chip in the computer. Oh well - at least yours is working okay.

Unfortunately with the Euphonix/Avid units the Windows platform is, as you may know, not the original platform as it was originally a Mac only system. I don't think it made the transition well and that's a shame.

The software problems are only one thing; I'm not ecstatic about the build quality. Too plasticky for me. And too lightweight - they slide around on the table top easily. I could add more but that wouldn't serve any purpose.

As a friend of mine used to say: great idea but the execution sucks.
they slide off the table even when you extend their rubber feet?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
they slide off the table even when you extend their rubber feet?
Not as much; I like being able to lay into something when working and these units just don't do it for me.

QAPLA!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Not as much; I like being able to lay into something when working and these units just don't do it for me.
you must have a desk with a weird smooth surface, cause mine don't budge.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Well, I haven't had any problems with the quality of the units, or them sliding down my desk (or at all ), but the lack of commitment to their customers really sucks very badly.

@musicman - I also have friends, using the 1st generation of PoCo and they are all ok with the newest driver from TC. Did you switch your FW port from legacy back to the modern one? Also, I would try a complete deinstall, clean all TC folders systemwide, use CCleaner and then a reinstall.

Good luck,
Damien.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Reich View Post
Well, I haven't had any problems with the quality of the units, or them sliding down my desk (or at all ), but the lack of commitment to their customers really sucks very badly.

@musicman - I also have friends, using the 1st generation of PoCo and they are all ok with the newest driver from TC. Did you switch your FW port from legacy back to the modern one? Also, I would try a complete deinstall, clean all TC folders systemwide, use CCleaner and then a reinstall.

Good luck,
Damien.
Don't know what you mean by switching the FW port from legacy to modern. Please explain. As to driver install I used the recommended procedure as mentioned in the TC forums. To fix things when I went back to the 3.xx drivers I did a complete uninstall and Windows registry clean then installed the 3.xx drivers.

Was never really happy with the Poco on the Mac so that's not a worry anymore.

QAPLA!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 AM

@musicman - When you install Windows, a FW driver is installed, that wasn't especially compatible with older devices like PoCo, so TC and other hardware manufacturers advised to go for an older "legacy" FW driver, which is also included in Win Vista/7.

This is not true with the latest PoCo drivers anymore. You should stay with the preinstalled Windows driver and just install the 4.x PoCo software/drivers.

Of course, it is also alway dependant on your mainboard like I use a VIA FW port, which is normally said to be problematic. But in my case it just works fine. On the other hand, it worked absolutely fine with my Dawicontrol FW800 card (TI chip) on another computer.

I would also always advise against Registry cleaning tools, as I tried a lot of them and wrecked Windows several time. Since over two years now, I haven't cleaned my registry and though I upgraded several hardware components, including MB and CPU, everything is still running perfectly fine.

Ok, it's getting a bit OT now ;-)
Old 07-30-2012, 05:00 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Driver stability is for me the major problem. Blame it perhaps on the modem or the ethernet protocol. There is just no way I would use my euphonix gear in a live concert environment. Something I was at first considering because of its programmable-flexibility and portability.
The potential for a software disconnect and response interruption is just too great.

The fact that they've stopped supporting it and never fixed the driver issues in the last 9 months just make me want to sell all my modules before they are worth pennies.

Seems it's always the same thing with Avid: nice product --> crappy support --> nice product become crappy product. They did the same thing with Sibelius Software, ditched the developers and now everyone is moving back to Finale.

It's sort of easy to get the pattern: They buy the competition (Sibelius software, Euphonix, etc) and then gradually trash the product they were offering by making it worse.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Driver stability is for me the major problem. Blame it perhaps on the modem or the ethernet protocol. There is just no way I would use my euphonix gear in a live concert environment. Something I was at first considering because of its programmable-flexibility and portability.
The potential for a software disconnect and response interruption is just too great.

The fact that they've stopped supporting it and never fixed the driver issues in the last 9 months just make me want to sell all my modules before they are worth pennies.

Seems it's always the same thing with Avid: nice product --> crappy support --> nice product become crappy product. They did the same thing with Sibelius Software, ditched the developers and now everyone is moving back to Finale.

It's sort of easy to get the pattern: They buy the competition (Sibelius software, Euphonix, etc) and then gradually trash the product they were offering by making it worse.
I don't think it's as bad as what you say, but rather a case of a company buying a bunch of stuff thinking they can integrate it into their company's vision and it doesn't work out as well as they'd hoped. I've been a part of stuff like that. A company comes in, buys out another and the people in the first company think they're being saved. Turns out down the road that ain't the case and it's not really a fault of the company that did the buyout but of a case of biting off more than they can comfortably chew (or have the tech expertise to work with).

Now I don't know the specifics of what happened when Avid bought out Euphonix but if they canned the people at Euphonix that had the knowledge to make things work and thought Avid people could step in to the void - oh boy - recipe for disaster. I've been part of a scenario like that and it never works out well unless you have people with a solid vision and tech expertise in the company doing the buyout..

QAPLA!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
I don't think it's as bad as what you say, but rather a case of a company buying a bunch of stuff thinking they can integrate it into their company's vision and it doesn't work out as well as they'd hoped. I've been a part of stuff like that. A company comes in, buys out another and the people in the first company think they're being saved. Turns out down the road that ain't the case and it's not really a fault of the company that did the buyout but of a case of biting off more than they can comfortably chew (or have the tech expertise to work with).

Now I don't know the specifics of what happened when Avid bought out Euphonix but if they canned the people at Euphonix that had the knowledge to make things work and thought Avid people could step in to the void - oh boy - recipe for disaster. I've been part of a scenario like that and it never works out well unless you have people with a solid vision and tech expertise in the company doing the buyout..
Avid is not going well financially right now... They have canned the original Sibelius developers and support UK team less than 1 year after the new version was released. They are giving the development of Sibelius to their "audio team", people who are not experts about the subtleties of music engraving and notation. The first thing they did was break the software workflow by removing the entire top menu and making a Microsoft-type ribbon with stupid drawings that eats 15% of your screen.
The forum is a chaotic mess of dispute, there are petitions, professionals are immediately moving to the competition, universities refused to upgrade, etc.

Their reputation is going down the sink because indeed they are buying stuff they honestly do not have the expertise to manage.

I've also had (along with many others) the problem of the Pro-tools demo not loading any plugin's on my i7 imac. They never figured out what was causing this in over a year and finally proposed a reformatting... Riiight... like I have nothing else to do this month than re-install software... It's not as if I have a computer from 1990.

With the Euphonix all they had to do was make solid drivers and put themselves in the shoes of someone who wants a programmable console. Yet you still can't assign different functions on the transport and control wheels simultaneously, half of us suffers from ip/disconnection problems, you still can't copy-paste custom macros/commands, the plugins parameters are all in disorder on the control's screen. And now the touchscreen just won't work if you have the new Mac book pro. They are not actively managing the Euphonix brand, they are just reacting once in a while when we ask for something here.