Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Why The Command 8 is better than the Artist Control/Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by evs View Post
please let us know how it will work for you.

i was also thinking about buying an artist control, after reading the first thread i´m not sure anymore...
sure i will have to try out myself, but its allways good to hear other opinions.

any positive ones?
I like it.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
I like it.

are there any other controlers using the eucon protocol?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:05 AM

Artist series is a safe buy. Latest software/firmware runs fine. Integration with protools 10 is ridiculous. The extra second or two you lose with certain functions is more than made up for with the hands on control of others. To be honest, I only noticed the delay when switching layouts and memory locations after reading about it. If you take the time to set up views and all that, it's as fast as anything else.

An Artist Control in combo with a command 8 might be interesting, and a little bulky.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM

just get a MC Mix demo

i got 2 questions:

1) is it possible, when i select a track in Pro Tools, that this track is automatically on Fader 1?

2) for example i have 48 tracks, and i use the bank knob and push it to the right, 8 by 8 tracks.
on my mac screen i can see 30 track.
so when i go with the bank knob to track 40-48,
is it possible, that pro tools follow on the mac screen?
now when i do this, on the MC Mix i am on track 40, but on my mac screen, i still see track 1-30.

thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
just get a MC Mix demo

i got 2 questions:

1) is it possible, when i select a track in Pro Tools, that this track is automatically on Fader 1?

2) for example i have 48 tracks, and i use the bank knob and push it to the right, 8 by 8 tracks.
now when i do this, on the MC Mix i am on track 40, but on my mac screen, i still see track 1-30.

thanks in advance
1) No.

2) No.

Unfortunately, these are two of the things that extremely bug me with this unit and the EuCon software compared to the Command8.

Mac Pro 3.0 gHz. Mac OS 10.6.8. Pro Tools 10HD
Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
just get a MC Mix demo

i got 2 questions:

thanks in advance
Well, I just replaced a C8 with a contol/mix combo yetserday and I'm still figuring the thing out, but I have to disagree with Lipmania about #1, at least.

If you use the Eucon Control software (if that's what it's called-- like I said I just installed it) there is a page where you can assign faders to specific tracks, or you can assign a fader to be whatever track is selected. I've found that quite useful already.

I don't know the answer to #2.

The one feature I haven't found yet is calling up the VCA faders. I set up a soft key to do that with my current session, but I'm guessing that this will not carry across to other sessions. If anyone knows how to do this I'd love to hear it.

Fwiw, having softkeys for "back and play", and "automation preview" and "punch preview" are worth the price of admission for me.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
I don't know the answer to #2.
Logic's mixer does follow the selection so I would imagine Pro tools would do it.
It is a software function however, not Eucon.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse p View Post
Artist series is a safe buy. Latest software/firmware runs fine. Integration with protools 10 is ridiculous.
+1

I only worked some hours with Mix & Control on PT 10 after some years with the 003 and PT 8 & 9....but i'm absolute loving the MCs.

Sure I will need some time to get into the whole menus and functions but it's worth the time.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM

I tried the artist control out a few years ago to see if we wanted to purchaseit for a studio I was working for at the time. I found it very lacking compared to the command 8 mostly for the lack of a good fader flip function and too complicated touch screen and other things I can't remember. The command 8 was so simple and just worked. I'm now buying some stuff for my home studio and was hoping with all the new hoopla that the artist series would have solved all these issues by now since Avid bought them and its supposedly been integrated... Seems like its not the case... Sad, because the thing has so much potential. At least i'll save a bunch of cash!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse p View Post
I think Avid is dragging us all into the future kicking and screaming.. the reality is that digidesign is at fault for making this so painful for you. They've led us all to believe that PT was the biggest and baddest to the point of massive user arrogance while the rest of the world was moving on. Eucon is the future, period. Digi ultimately held the rest of world back by the depth of their user base forcing other superior capabilities to not be used for lack of compatibility. Something needed to be done and if AVID didn't do it somebody else would have. There will no doubt be casualties.

There was a time when you all had your trusty 4x3 tv, some of you just bought a brand new one... And then HDTV showed up, you all bought new TV at a premium price.

If you think this is bad, just wait till Apple screws you.
This just shows ignorance. Digi was keeping Avid alive for years. Digi was making money hand over foot, Avid was sinking into the deep!

Do your homework and look at thier public financial statements. They are all out there to see!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp