Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Blackmagic Decklink With Ultra Studio Recorder Not Working Together

Hey Guys,
Hoping someone can help me track this one down. I've been using Blackmagic Decklink cards for several years and they have been great. Recently, I've been playing with the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder for realtime video capture. Both individually work great; however, when the Ultrastudio Recorder is plugged into the computer (thunderbolt 2), Pro tools video won't get to the Decklink. In checking the AVE logs, it shows that the Ultrastudio Mini is the card that Protools AVE is trying to use.

If I open up a program like Blackmagic Media Express and set that to use the Ultrastudio mini and then I reinitialize the AVE, everything works as expected.

Is there any way to force PT to use the Decklink instead of the Ultrastudio when both are available? Or is there a way to just set the service order?

Mac Pro Trashcan - MacOS 10.13.6 - Blackmagic Desktop Video 11.5 - PT Ultimate 2018.12
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Blackmagic Decklink With Ultra Studio Recorder Not Working Together

I don't think PT knows how to deal with more than one video device. And as you've discovered, it needs exclusive control over it. So when your UltraStudio is being used it then sees the Decklink.

Unless there is some hidden AVE plist that will allow this? I'd check with Support on this.