Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2022, 11:39 PM

Default Re: MBOX Studio problem: crackling noise when booting up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubz70 View Post
This is part of the initialization process when you first boot MBOX Studio up so no need to troubleshoot. I'll look into in further and see if we have an option to mute it.

Thanks for the feedback.
JW
Thank you!!
Old 11-30-2022, 05:33 AM

We never had an interface make any noise whatsoever powering up or down! Monitors ON or OFF.

No Apollo and No Avid Carbon or MTRX Studio and not even our cheaper ones we have 20 yrs ago so this doesn’t feel right

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-01-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We never had an interface make any noise whatsoever powering up or down! Monitors ON or OFF.

No Apollo and No Avid Carbon or MTRX Studio and not even our cheaper ones we have 20 yrs ago so this doesn’t feel right
Interesting because my Carbon makes some clicking noise when powered up ( nothing like what the OP posted about or when launching sessions and also not through the speakers or HP) JUST within the box itself And the Carbon also makes a click-click when I open up a session with a different sample rate

Here is a video ( understand I am sitting right beside the carbon at my desk position)

You will have to turn the volume on you listening device up pretty high because it is a pretty quiet clicking noise
You can hear a single click at about 8 seconds and then some multiple clicks at about 14 When the meters peg

https://youtu.be/f557OO1o2nc

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-01-2022 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:53 AM

There is a clear miscomprehension here.

1) Noises through speakers on interface powerup are 100% possible.

2) "It never happened to me in 20 years" 100% refers to a single experience of many. (See 1 above).

3) It's just normal to have diverse experiences with diverse setups and electrical conditions, subtle variations.

4) Some of us experience such noises, others do not. Even though it "never" happened in some cases for some people, should we turn on the arena speaker system BEFORE or AFTER all the other gear?

"Well, I NEVER" isn't going to matter to others, simply put. Individual results vary. Over the years, some interfaces I've had were noisy in varying degree and context. That's all. "Never" happened to you does NOT mean "doesn't and cannot happen" --- it's virtually irrelevant.

The advice to power up in a standardized way less prone to errors in the greatest number of operating conditions is better advice than "never happened to me in 20 years".

Maybe there is something wrong with the device, maybe it's normal enough, maybe there is something to change in how the power loads of various components are connecting together, maybe it is indeed a troubled unit. If ALL there is here are power up noises and everything is functionally perfect otherwise, is power cycling the speakers otherwise impossible/difficult?
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-01-2022, 12:47 PM

So to add to this... Not only does it make a bunch of pops when first turned on, it also makes the pops when you select it as the playback engine in Pro Tools. I can handle a pop or 2 while its booting up, but it should definitely not be popping out of the speakers just because I selected it from the playback engine.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Interesting because my Carbon makes some clicking noise when powered up ( nothing like what the OP posted about or when launching sessions and also not through the speakers or HP) JUST within the box itself And the Carbon also makes a click-click when I open up a session with a different sample rate

Here is a video ( understand I am sitting right beside the carbon at my desk position)

You will have to turn the volume on you listening device up pretty high because it is a pretty quiet clicking noise
You can hear a single click at about 8 seconds and then some multiple clicks at about 14 When the meters peg

https://youtu.be/f557OO1o2nc
Haven't watched your video but sounds like the Carbon has relay switched outputs.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Haven't watched your video but sounds like the Carbon has relay switched outputs.
Some type of relay noise would be my guess also . And I am guessing if I was not sitting with my ears within about two feet of the box itself I might not even notice it

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-03-2022, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris August View Post
So to add to this... Not only does it make a bunch of pops when first turned on, it also makes the pops when you select it as the playback engine in Pro Tools. I can handle a pop or 2 while its booting up, but it should definitely not be popping out of the speakers just because I selected it from the playback engine.
yup, see my original posts. It happens also when opening Apple Music or any other audio software that connects to the MBOX.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubz70 View Post
This is part of the initialization process when you first boot MBOX Studio up so no need to troubleshoot. I'll look into in further and see if we have an option to mute it.

Thanks for the feedback.
JW
Hi JW, it happens not only when booting up the system, but also:
  • when turning MBOX on, while speakers are already on
  • when system is up and running, and I have to reboot my computer. the moment my mac connects to the Mbox Studio, you get the bursts.
  • when I launch Pro Tools after computer is booted up
  • selecting the MBOX Studio in the Playback Engine settings, when other hardware was selected while booting Pro Tools
  • when I log in and out of my user
  • when changing audio device in macOS system audio preferences (going away or towards the MBOX)
  • when opening Apple Music or any other audio software that connects to the MBOX.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Some type of relay noise would be my guess also . And I am guessing if I was not sitting with my ears within about two feet of the box itself I might not even notice it
Hey Kev

Thanks for the video

Our Carbons sounds like that too but thats relays and not what I think the OP describes.

That sound is not pops and crackles and many of our outboards sounds like that:for example SSL Fusion and WesAudio NG_Buscomp.

And many more so i doubt thats what he is hearing (My opinion only)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————