Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Default MOV import problem - strange!

I don't work with video a lot, but I'm trying to put together a DVD for a client and am running into a strange problem. When I import slightly longer MOV files, the imported video restarts suddenly.

For example, I have a 00:16:25 long mov file that I converted from a DV file. When I play the converted mov file in quicktime, it's fine. When I import it into protools, it plays fine until 00:11:40, at which point it suddenly cuts back to the beginning. In this case, the imported audio from video doesn't cut back with the video but continues seemlessly, out of sync with picture; in another case, both the imported video and audio "start over" together.

All of the shorter mov files from the same project are importing fine, it's only those that are over 7 minutes. And again, when I view the mov files in quicktime, they're fine. I've tried re-converting the original DV files to mov's in quicktime, and the same thing happens once I import them into protools. I've also tried deleting the region in PT, renaming the MOV files and reimporting them - same thing.

I'm running PT HD 8.0.1cs1 on a MacPro 2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-core (OS 10.5.8.)
Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Re: MOV import problem - strange!

When you convert them to .mov are you still using the DV codec? I've always had problems with the DV codec in PT. PT seems to prefer Mjpeg B. If you transcode the file in quicktime to Mjpeg B it may fix the issue. You might need to take the quality down some because the file size will be much larger.

Macbook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS 10.9.5
ProTools 12.7.1.733
Mbox2 PT 10.2

Scott Whittier
Whittier Creative
http://www.madmix.com/
www.voice123.com/scottwhittier
Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM

've always had problems with the DV codec
DV codec?
The DV codec is the preferred codec and by far is the most commonly used video codec
DV is the primary codec of every recording device that uses firewire

try to open the original file and make sure that you dont have a portion of the timeline selected ( select all )
just save the .DV file as .MOV but dont change the codec ( leave it as a DV )
if you have the option when exporting make sure its a self contained file
cause this would explain why it stops at a certain point

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 PM

That worked! Just opening the DV in quick-time and doing a "save as" worked ok for the movies that I couldn't get to work before. Only problem now is that the aspect ratio and quality are a little screwy. But at least the video doesn't randomly jump back to the beginning. Thanks!