Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Need Peripheral I/O cable for legacy

Greetings,
I have a legacy 882/888 bridge connected to a Pro Tools card. The cable is a "Peripheral 60/50 I/0 cable with Y connector".

I need another such cable. can't find one, even after a very lengthy search.

Does anyone know where I might find one?

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Need Peripheral I/O cable for legacy

Easiest way to find these is to search ebay for "digidesign interface cable"

The 8channel cables (single DB60 to 2 50pin) are the most common. You need 2 of those, and one Y cable (single DB60 male to 2 DB60 Female) to do 16 channels from one card. These show up on ebay from time to time, but are getting hard to find. Expect to pay around $50-$75 per cable for each one.

There is a very rare cable that is a single Y cable, I refer to it as the "holy grail" cable. This is a DB60 male, to (2) 50pin connector setup, but all in a single cable... I've only ever seen 2 of them, one of which I owned.

You might want to look in the Legacy section of this forum, there is a post there somewhere with pinouts for these. A few people have made their own, you can do it by cutting up SCSI II cables and adding a DB60 connector to the other end., though it's a pretty tedious process. (I tried it once, and lost interest very quickly.... my time is worth more than the money I would have saved).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Many thanks, I appreciate the helpful info. After I read this, I searched eBay and google for a long, long time. Nothing! Well... there <WAS> a Y cable for sale in Australia. But no DB60 to DB 50 single cable. I'll probably end up making one, since I'm in no hurry. I'm going to try the ARC Advanced Room Correction Plug In, but I'll need this cable to do it. No hurry though.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Yeah keep watching, they kind of go through cycles. Sometimes there's 20 of them available, sometimes none. Also look at the interfaces themselves, sometimes you can get an 888 or 882 with the cabling for the same price as what a cable would sell for by itself.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?