Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2020, 12:19 AM

Default It's Official--Mac Six

I am an absolute believer that Mac is infinitely better than PC. My 2012 Macbook Pro is still functioning flawlessly, BUT, my 2012 Mac Pro (Cheese Grater) is now acting like a PC, requiring numerous re-boots in order to keep funtioning (Pro Tools). Apple has always been an an overtly arrogant entity, but they have now taken that arrogance to its height. The "mid-grade" user like me has been completely abandoned in favor of iPhones and iPads. The new Macs START at about $5k for the lowest model. Are you KIDDING me??? A buddy of mine (PC guy) told me about three years ago that Mac was "on its way out." I didn't believe it. I do now. Dude, I'm getting a Dell.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:28 AM

Default Re: It's Official--Mac Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofvoz View Post
Dude, I'm getting a Dell.
I wouldn't brag about it. There are good PC builds and then there are Dell crap.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I wouldn't brag about it. There are good PC builds and then there are Dell crap.
They make decent screens, though.

Apple does have entry level machines that work fine with PT for way less than 5 grand.
If OP is talking about the new MacPro - it's not meant for you if you cannot afford it. And you probably don't even need it. You can do plenty with an iMac or a MacMini even.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 02-01-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
They make decent screens, though.

Apple does have entry level machines that work fine with PT for way less than 5 grand.
If OP is talking about the new MacPro - it's not meant for you if you cannot afford it. And you probably don't even need it. You can do plenty with an iMac or a MacMini even.
Agree 100% with this. There are plenty good Macs for around 2-3K new and leds for a very capable mac mini i7 with 32gb ram and ssd.

The new Mac Pro’s we got friday was almost the same amount as a nice sportscar and one could argue thats insane but we work and live off music and can write off those badboys within 24-36 months and they pay for themselves within 2 placed songs so for us it made sense but as Meads said if you cant arford them they are not the ones for you. Plenty great options for mid level guys as you described yourself.

Remember the trashcans were over 5K and they sold quite a few to studios around the world even if those of us who had them Had to do some additional purchases to get cards etc to connect but those extra costs are not involved with the new Mac Pro so one could say that they are even cheaper for the entry level since we dont need external PCIe cabinets and such.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I am an absolute believer that Mac is infinitely better than PC...
yawn...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I am an absolute believer that Mac is infinitely better than PC. My 2012 Macbook Pro is still functioning flawlessly, BUT, my 2012 Mac Pro (Cheese Grater) is now acting like a PC, requiring numerous re-boots in order to keep funtioning (Pro Tools). Apple has always been an an overtly arrogant entity, but they have now taken that arrogance to its height. The "mid-grade" user like me has been completely abandoned in favor of iPhones and iPads. The new Macs START at about $5k for the lowest model. Are you KIDDING me??? A buddy of mine (PC guy) told me about three years ago that Mac was "on its way out." I didn't believe it. I do now. Dude, I'm getting a Dell.
When is the last time you opened up the case and cleaned out the rampant dust bunnies? Apple in their infinite stupidity did NOT put a filter on the front of the case where outside air gets sucked in. Open up the case, clean them bunnies out, reseat the cards and any connectors, close up the case and restart that 'grater. I do mine at least once a year.

You might want to look into getting a third party refurb. My 2012 cheesegrater came from OWC but I think they're out of them. Take a look at iPowerResale at https://ipowerresale.com/browse-mac-pro/

QAPLA!
Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
The new Mac Pro’s we got friday was almost the same amount as a nice sportscar and one could argue thats insane but we work and live off music and can write off those badboys within 24-36 months and they pay for themselves within 2 placed songs so for us it made sense but as Meads said if you cant arford them they are not the ones for you. Plenty great options for mid level guys as you described yourself.
In fact that's the reason why I'm contemplating getting one myself - would be a nice tax write-off and I sure could put it to good use.

Thing is, right now my most beefy rig is a 8-Core i9 9900KF Hackintosh oc'd to 5.1GHZ on all cores. This thing is really fast, and I'm wondering, if a Mac Pro (aiming at the 16-core) would be a downgrade or not when it comes to PT performance.
I wish, someone could answer that question but I guess I'll have to find that out myself somehow.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 02-02-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
This thing is really fast, and I'm wondering, if a Mac Pro (aiming at the 16-core) would be a downgrade or not when it comes to PT performance.
If it would be such a disappointment, you can always donate the sluggish bastard to me -- I can find a good use for my current 2013 Trashcan somewhere else
Old 02-02-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If it would be such a disappointment, you can always donate the sluggish bastard to me -- I can find a good use for my current 2013 Trashcan somewhere else
Let me think about it.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 02-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Hi,

My 2012 cheese grater upgraded to 12 core 3.4 (24 virtual cores) is on 6 days a week and doesn’t miss a beat and totally silent.

I’ve never looked at a PC for a DAW so can’t comment on that side but I do have PCs for net and email and have huge problems every time windows updates and that puts me off going further into PCs. One update bricked my studio PC and the recent update stopped folder sharing from working and nothing worked getting it to work again and this sort of stuff really annoys me. And there’s no option to turn updates off completely.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.