Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Compression on Master for tv series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
Well said. I don't even listen to it through the TV anymore. The clients don't want to either.

We listen to a 2 track near fields and that is it. If you were to mix to every broadcast, TV type ect, you'd still be mixing after it broadcast.

Hey Mark. You still on Nuendo or did you move to to PT completey?

LEX
I haven't used Nuendo for awhile.
I've been working in Pro-Tools exclusively for a long time. And have coe full circle.
From the days of me absolutely hating it. (I personally think it simply wasn't up to the task of what people wanted it to do). To it being my preferred mix platform. I can honestly say, I can deliver a much better sounding mix, in the same amount of time, using Pro-Tools and an Icon, than I ever could using a console. I know this to be a fact for me personally.
I can get fixes done much faster. And have more detailed mixes, because of the speed at which things can get accomplished.

We won't even talk about conforming for picture changes.

Living the dream.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Not true. In the analog days, yes, but they varied. With Digital now, I can peak at -2.
-24 dialog norm. +/- 2
Is that just for 5.1 delivery Lex? I was looking at Nat Geo requirements yesterday and they quoted -2 and -10 in the same document.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I haven't used Nuendo for awhile.
I've been working in Pro-Tools exclusively for a long time. And have coe full circle.
From the days of me absolutely hating it. (I personally think it simply wasn't up to the task of what people wanted it to do). To it being my preferred mix platform. I can honestly say, I can deliver a much better sounding mix, in the same amount of time, using Pro-Tools and an Icon, than I ever could using a console. I know this to be a fact for me personally.
I can get fixes done much faster. And have more detailed mixes, because of the speed at which things can get accomplished.

We won't even talk about conforming for picture changes.
I hear you there. Haven't been outside the box in over a year, and prefer it much more this way than before.
Of course, after finding the right plugins first.

Picture changes are easy.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
Is that just for 5.1 delivery Lex? I was looking at Nat Geo requirements yesterday and they quoted -2 and -10 in the same document.
Well, most here make their own 2 track from the 5.1, so they only use our 2 track for the BluRays.
They must fold down the 5.1 on the broadcast or it is made when they make the dolby E and it is in the same stream.

I think you can do that with E.

So its -2 peak for everything.

-2 and -10? You'd have to give me more information on what they are saying.
It sounds like they are saying they want a 5.1 with a -2 peak and a 2 track with a -10 peak.
Which is insane. Someone does'nt know what they are talking about over at NGeo.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 AM

Your NatGeo mix needs to measure -23LKFS +-1. The short of it; In the 5.1, mix your VO peaking at -7 dBFS and the rest around this. This will fold down nicely to -10 dBFS. Short peaks at -2 are allowed in the 5.1 but will hit your stereo limiter very hard, make sure you have a good one. The question is do you need those peaks?

Quote:
So its -2 peak for everything.

-2 and -10? You'd have to give me more information on what they are saying.
It sounds like they are saying they want a 5.1 with a -2 peak and a 2 track with a -10 peak.
Which is insane. Someone does'nt know what they are talking about over at NGeo.