Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 01:30 PM

Default I\'m going insane.

Okay, I am now officially pulling my hair out.

Here's the situation.....

I have removed everything that isn't digi 001 related.

the system:
A7V333
xp2100+
512 ddram
3 hard drives, no CDrom
Primary IDE Boot Drive
Secondary IDE 2 WD 7200rpm Drives

I keep getting the "Bad spots" I posted about earlier. For those reading this for the first time, they appear just before a group of audio files (about 1 - 3 seconds) I hit play and I get a 9093. If I move the audio files, the 9093 moves along with it.

I have tried everything I can think of to solve this yet the problem remains. I'm pretty sure it's hardware related, but I've tried everything I can that's configuration related.

The only weakness is that I'm using an older 8 meg video card, and I wonder if that's causing the problem.

I've also tried defragging the drives, they have no fragments in any of them. I also Disabled the on board sound.

I originally had a SCSI card in there for my CD Burner, The Promise tx100 IDE controller, and a network card. All of which are not in the machine right now while the problem is still happening.

Oh My God
Next step is a different machine.

Hey allen I read your posts and decided to get this M/B, Got any ideas?

The Machine runs fine with everything installed except for this. (I've found workarounds for the sp/dif issue) I recorded about 13 songs last night and had a 9093 in the middle of only one take. My P3 1Gig/Cusl2 would never give me a 9093 while recording. I know that isn't bad but people frown on stuff like that. It interferes with the creative process and needs to be dealt with.

Help!

Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 08-03-2002, 01:58 PM

Default Re: I\'m going insane.

To check if the video card is the problem, disable it in your hardware profile and restart and see wht happens. I tried my rig with and without my video card to see if I got a performance boost without it, but it didn't change eitherway. But my point is, win XP has good enough drivers to run your monitor at 1024 x 768 at 16bit without a video card, so if your card was the problem, you could still run PT until you picked up a new one.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:09 PM

I never really installed any video card software in the first place. The xp installation seemed to work fine so I added nothing.

I did just go buy a 64meg ATI radeon 7500.

i guess at least the screen errors may go away.

We'll see what it does...

Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
Old 08-03-2002, 02:24 PM

(you didn't specify if you're running 5.3.1 or 5.1.1 so it's a bit harder to narrow down)

Every 9032 error solution in the answerbase seems to come back to enabling DMA on the HDDs or other IDE controller/DMA issues.

For example:

For 5.1.1-

-The drivers for certain UDMA controllers are known to prevent smooth thread scheduling and cause -9129, -9093, and -9094 errors. Installing the standard Microsoft IDE driver included with Win98/ME usually resolves these errors:

How to install the Generic IDE Controller from the Win98/ME CD-ROM:
-Insert the Win98/ME CD-ROM
-Open the Control Panels>System>Device Manger tab
-Expand the Hard disk controllers list
-Highlight the IDE Controller device, click "Properties?
-Click the Driver tab and then the "Update Driver"button
-In the Update Device Driver Wizard, enable "Search for a better driver..."and click "Next?
-Enable the CD-ROM and click "Next?
-Enable "Install one of the other drivers"and click "View List?

Once installed, enable DMA for all IDE/ATA drives:
-Open the Control Panels>System>Device Manager window.
-Expand the Disk Drives list (not the Hard Disk Controllers list).
-Highlight the Generic IDE disk drive (or all drive(s) used for recording audio), click Properties>Settings tab, enable the DMA option and restart Windows.

Go HERE and type in your error number. Perhaps they will have something you haven't tried. Your configuration sounds good. I agree it should be working fine.

You did get a nice video card, though. Nice choice.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Stone,

i'm using xp and 5.3.1

i just installed the video card for the machine. It definately does make a difference for the visual side of things. Before, the transport counter was glitchy and during the davec test the monitor nearly came to a dead stop. Now it's a lot better with less glitches and I couldnt even notice a difference at 28 tracks and 6 auxes.

I still think I should be able to get 32 + 9 tracks, but 28 will do for now.

As for the IDE controllers it's all microsoft. I'm not sure if getting the Promise 133tx will help me or not, but I may get one in a week or two, to replace my tx100.

I opened up two sessions after restarting with the new video card and the 9093 spots seemed to still be there. Since then I restarted again and they seem to be gone! Yay! I don't know if the problem is fixed yet but something changed, because this is the first time I was able to actually play through the bad spots.

A weird thing happened that is probably not relevant, but when I installed the graphics card the xp authorization wizard came up and I had to reauthorize windows.

I'm going to restart again and see what happens...

myspace page
Old 08-04-2002, 02:10 AM

so far so good! I just mixed a tune. Got to use plugins I've never used because of DSP. (renn eq, c1 compressor)The true test will be the tracking session I have on Monday Night. Rock N Roll!

myspace page