Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Confused with freeze/bounce of VI-tracks

Hi
sorry for the newbie-question - I did some research beforehand, but not to my satisfaction. Just starting with VIs.

I was under the impression, that due to the nature of VIs and their use of samples, there is no such thing as track freeze and offline-bouncing and that the workflow needed to be to record each VI-track to a separate stereo track in real-time, and these new tracks then can be bounced to a stereo-file.

I was really surprised, that freeze and offline-bounce did work (using VSL and NI Kontakt). But since I only was experimenting, I did not fully test things, just a 6-track minimalistic arrangement.

So: does freeze/bounce really work (flawlessly?), or did I encounter a happy circumstance, where it worked and the normal workflow should be to record to individual tracks and work from there?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2019, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Confused with freeze/bounce of VI-tracks

It works, as it should. And you just proved it. There is no reason freeze should not work, some code runs saves a copy of the audio and replays that instead of reprocessing it each time.