Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Default Not in love with Protools 12

First let me thank Jack on this forum (Thanks Jack!) for telling me about Carbon Copy Cloner. Thanks to you I saved my projects that I had done in 11 all on an external hard drive clone PRIOR to upgrading to Protools 12 and High Sierra on the main drive.

Now I'm scratching my head asking myself, why didn't I just keep everything in 11 and forget about 12. It's been a complete and utter headache to deal with. Can't get Real Guitar working. I ended up just rebooting onto the external clone and I'm working from there.

Warning!!!! Before upgrading to anything, please make sure you keep a backup like I did of all of your files and older version of Protools and whatever else you need in case you have to revert back to the earlier version.

You just will not know what to expect in the newer version of Protools or updated Mac OS until you've made the change.

I'm tired of all the issues. I just want to write music without any technical problems wasting so much of my time. I'm guessing there may be a few of you who are reading this who can relate to what I'm saying....

Thank you again Jack!!!!

Lisa:)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Not in love with Protools 12

No problem.
Always good to have backups/clones for just such times.
Funny thing is right now I'm doing my weekly backups/clones of both my daw and after I finish typing this my internet/email/Photoshop machine. Part of my regular Friday morning routine

QAPLA!
Old 05-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Same here constant startup issues and technical BS
Only app on my setup that moans every time about something. I wont start most of the time so I give up on it. Dont think il upgrade at all as this is just a poorly designed buggy DAW.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
FCan't get Real Guitar working. I ended up just rebooting onto the external clone and I'm working from there.
This is a Pro Tools First board? You can't run Real Guitar on Pro Tools First 12 and up. Only plugins bought through Avid's store.

Pro Tools First is the free "DAW" -- it isn't actually like real Pro Tools (so much stuff is missing).
Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcliff View Post
....this is just a poorly designed buggy DAW.
There are many thousands of users having no issues (or very few) including me.

I actually think it is amazingly designed and is indispensable for my work flow.

If it was poorly designed and buggy I wouldn't use it every day for projects upon which I depend for my living.

We might be able to help if you want top discuss the issues you are having and what your setup is.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
If it was poorly designed and buggy I wouldn't use it every day for projects upon which I depend for my living.
All software has bugs, Pro Tools Included. Pro-Tools-Release-Notes

I'm sure when it works its great but as an intro to Pro Tools through PT First I found it a bit disappointing as mentioned.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcliff View Post
All software has bugs, Pro Tools Included. Pro-Tools-Release-Notes

I'm sure when it works its great but as an intro to Pro Tools through PT First I found it a bit disappointing as mentioned.
Fair enough.
When you have a good stable system it is great, so if you want to try and resolve your issues please let us know and we will do our best to help you.
It's worth it, I promise!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.