Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 PM

Default 1/4” to xlr

I have a question that I could not find googling, I use an mbox that has one xlr input and one quarter inch input. I know a line input is stronger than a mic input(hence the necessity for a preamp)If I want to record two instruments at once and use a 1/4 to xlr adapter (so basically have a guitar or other instrument plugged into my xlr input is there a risk of damaging the mbox or overloading the input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Re: 1/4” to xlr

Original mBox from 2002?

As I remember it, the box has two separate mic/line/inst input channels with separate source type selection and gain control so you should be fine
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 AM

Sounds like you’re describing an Mbox Mini.

Wether you have the blue v2 or grey v3, the connectivity is the same. The only difference is that the line input on the v3 is a combo TRS/XLR jack.

Basically, you only have one mic input on those interfaces, but you do have two line inputs. If you have a v2, use the TRS inputs labelled line. On the v3 use the combo jack with a TRS cable and set the switch to line for input one and use the TRS input for input two.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM

I’m not sure how I just saw these replies I guess it’s not giving me and email notification anymore, but I have the blue/grey Mbox Mini 2 that lays flat and neither input is a combo jack there is one that is just for xlr and one that is just line and I do not have the mic/line/inst buttons like the grey one that stands up. So I was just going to use an adapter to use my mic input as a line input for a little bit just didn’t know if I was running any risk doing that?

Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Original mBox from 2002?

As I remember it, the box has two separate mic/line/inst input channels with separate source type selection and gain control so you should be fine

Mine unfortunately does not have the mic/line/inst buttons I know the style mbox your talking about, mine is the blue/grey Mbox Mini 2 that lays flat and it just has one straight xlr input and one straight line input

Old 05-24-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amscheme View Post
I’m not sure how I just saw these replies I guess it’s not giving me and email notification anymore, but I have the blue/grey Mbox Mini 2 that lays flat and neither input is a combo jack there is one that is just for xlr and one that is just line and I do not have the mic/line/inst buttons like the grey one that stands up. So I was just going to use an adapter to use my mic input as a line input for a little bit just didn’t know if I was running any risk doing that?

All manuals for all these products are findable on the Web.

You got this one? If not find the right one. If needed use google image search. http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v73_32993.pdf

If you have that mbox 2 mini there are two line inputs, don’t use an adapter. So I’m suspecting you have something else?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:09 PM

An Mbox 2 Mini has 2 inputs. Input 1 is switchable between Mic and Line/DI. Input 2 is Line/DI only. So if you want to record 2 instruments plug them into the Line 1 & Line 2 jacks (aligned vertically next to the Mon Out jacks) and push the Mic/DI button in. See page 31 of the Mbox 2 Mini Getting Started Guide.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
An Mbox 2 Mini has 2 inputs. Input 1 is switchable between Mic and Line/DI. Input 2 is Line/DI only. So if you want to record 2 instruments plug them into the Line 1 & Line 2 jacks (aligned vertically next to the Mon Out jacks) and push the Mic/DI button in. See page 31 of the Mbox 2 Mini Getting Started Guide.

Sonofabitch I never knew that, I feel pretty dumb now but thank you so much that solves my problem completely, I appreciate it

Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
All manuals for all these products are findable on the Web.

You got this one? If not find the right one. If needed use google image search. http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v73_32993.pdf

If you have that mbox 2 mini there are two line inputs, don’t use an adapter. So I’m suspecting you have something else?

That’s the one...you’re right, I had no idea that that’s what the mic/di button did
I’m glad I didn’t try the adapter, thanks

Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 PM

OK great. If you are tracking two dry guitar or bass tracks you should be set.

But I also noticed your other thread asking about driving this mbox from line level mixer outputs. If so do not be shy about dialing down the input gains on your mbox and/or using the pad or turning down the output level on your mixer. Play with the gain staging of those to see what sounds best (compare them at constant monitoring output level by adjusting track gain in Pro Tools if needed).

Don’t be afraid to record at a nice low level, e.g. With the Pro Tools meters in pre-fader mode look for something like peaks hitting -18dBFS. You can make up the signal level later with fader gain, clip gain and plugin processing. That will often sound better than driving the analog electronics hard, especially in these lower cost mixers and interfaces.