Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 05-25-2019, 04:32 AM

Default Re: 1/4” to xlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK great. If you are tracking two dry guitar or bass tracks you should be set.

But I also noticed your other thread asking about driving this mbox from line level mixer outputs. If so do not be shy about dialing down the input gains on your mbox and/or using the pad or turning down the output level on your mixer. Play with the gain staging of those to see what sounds best (compare them at constant monitoring output level by adjusting track gain in Pro Tools if needed).

Don’t be afraid to record at a nice low level, e.g. With the Pro Tools meters in pre-fader mode look for something like peaks hitting -18dBFS. You can make up the signal level later with fader gain, clip gain and plugin processing. That will often sound better than driving the analog electronics hard, especially in these lower cost mixers and interfaces.

Thanks man I appreciate the advice, I know sometimes it seems natural to get the loudest level without distorting and doesn’t always work out the greatest, definitely will try this out and play around with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk