Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2023, 05:07 AM

Default Embedding Dolby Atmos to video

Hello,
After doing a few Atmos music mixes i was asked to lay them back to picture.
Something i thought was trivial turned out to be a bit of a bit more involved :)
The picture i was given is Pro res 422 4K. So far the only way i found was to convert to mp4 to use the export in DAPS(export to mp4 with music setting). Quite a bit of a downgrade.
The audio in the resulting quicktime doesn't really sound like atmos, it is a lot darker and more like 5.1 may be 7.1.
When i QC the quicktime through a blueray player the receiver says dolby digital and not atmos.
I realize that i'm probably doing something wrong and wanted to see if any of you guys were willing to share any thoughts on this subject.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Embedding Dolby Atmos to video

So it looks like i would need to invest in the mastering suite. Are there any other software or workflow that would allow this ?
As a side note the picture i was given is PAL 25 fps and DAPS only works with 24 fps how do people who work in a PAL environment implement Dolby Atmos ?
Old 02-24-2023, 11:30 AM

There are a lot more knowledgable people here than me, but I can speak to a little bit of this.

I have a subscription to the Dolby Media Encoder suite, which allows me to encode to Dolby Digital Plus Atmos, as well as Dolby True-HD Atmos. I got the subscription through RSPE, it's $400/year. I've seen a lot of conflicting information out there about how available to the general public this software is, though. For the eb3/ec3, we were able to marry to picture using FFWorks, but for the mlp for True-HD, we found no way to marry with picture and author a BluRay without extremely expensive software. That part of it went to a BluRay authoring house.

My DAPS has an option for 25FPS in the Driver page of the Preferences. DAPS v3.7.3.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:45 AM

Thank you so much for your response , so the Dolby Media Encoder Suite is for audio authoring only and doesn't provide a way to marry the audio to picture?
Sorry i'm new to this and don't know what eb3/ec3 stands for.
Thanks for the heads up for the 25 fps setting.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:55 AM

Correct, Dolby Media Encoder only encodes the audio files. eb3/ec3 are Dolby Digital Plus encoded files. .mlp is True-HD encoded file.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:57 AM

try the following steps.

1. Export your audio as MP4 in Dolby Renderer making sure that your audio is exactly the same length as your picture.
2. Using Shutter Encoder, Load your Video file and mp4 audio file and use the option to "replace audio".

Your video will render to the original codec replacing the original audio with the mp4 audio.

Keep in mind. This is not a Dolby Digital Plus encoding. While this will playback with "Spatial Audio" on some apple devices, it will NOT playback at Atmos encoded file on other systems. For that you need to have a Dolby Digital Plus encoded file which the Dolby Media Encoder will do. You will the marry this encoded file to your picture.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:12 PM

Thank you, it looks like my main issue right now is the fact that the audio mp4 export from DAPS with picture or without is not sounding so good when it gets decoded by the Marantz receiver. When i play blu-ray it sounds fine.
So it sounds like i need to do an export from DAMS before i do the Shutter encoder audio swap
Old 02-24-2023, 01:13 PM

It’s not going to sound right coming out of your Marantz receiver because the Marantz wants to decode it from a Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. The mp4 exported out of the Dolby renderer is not encoded.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:14 PM

I see so what is the proper way to play it back ?
Old 02-24-2023, 02:21 PM

That really depends on the purpose of the video you’re trying to create.