Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Default Resolution of knobs

Is there a way in get higher resolution while twisting a knob?

For instance, I keep several single-band EQ3's on dialog channels because they are very good at notching (infinity notch which can be super-useful). Sweeping the frequency with S6 knobs often results in steps that are too far apart, I have trouble getting a good notch. I can get finer resolution with a mouse and modifier key than with an S6 knob. Master or Knob module makes no difference. Is there a modifier for an S6 knob?

I've noticed it may depend on which plugin is being controlled whether resolution is adequate or not.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 AM

Hey Postman,
I'm guessing you've noticed this, but knob control for most functions on the S6 is velocity-sensitive - so if you slow down as you approach the values you need, you should see finer gradations.
Also, pressing the COMMAND (Mac) or CONTROL (PC) modifier key on the botom left of one of the fader modules and then turning the appropriate knob should give you more precise control, in the way it sounds like you're doing in the software.
If that doesn't give you what you need, maybe EQ is currently an exception to the standard S6 behavior and something for the feature request list ;-) ?
All the best,
David
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
maybe EQ is currently an exception to the standard S6 behavior
...must be the problem because...
Quote:
if you slow down as you approach the values you need, you should see finer gradations
which I do but not fine enough, and...
Quote:
pressing the COMMAND (Mac) or CONTROL (PC) modifier key on the botom left of one of the fader modules and then turning the appropriate knob
...does nothing differently.

I was hoping there was something I had overlooked.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 AM

Yeah, it kind of sounded like you had covered all the bases but I thought I'd mention those couple of things just in case. Sorry that didn't help! Like I said, one for the features request list then!
- David
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Avid

I'm currently playing with Knob acceleration and speed and hopefully going to add in user adjustments for both these in the next release.
There is no key to enable fine, this is done with the knob by default when turning very slowly.
I just played with the EQ3 Freq resolution when set to notch and whilst not quite as fine as using a mouse and option modifier, it wasn't very far off....do you have a couple of examples I could try ?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM

I feel the same with send values. It's very helpful that I can dial in a send very rapidly, but when I try to do very fine adjustments, sometimes I can, sometimes it increments by larger values for no reason. At least I do the very same slow turning, but the result is different.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
I feel the same with send values. It's very helpful that I can dial in a send very rapidly, but when I try to do very fine adjustments, sometimes I can, sometimes it increments by larger values for no reason. At least I do the very same slow turning, but the result is different.
I just noticed that this may be due to another knob being turned at the same time...can you look out for that and let me know if that's the case ?
Old 06-02-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I generally do NOT like velocity sensitivity of knobs and would strongly prefer a way to adjust it and/or turn it off. I would prefer a modifier button for those times when small increments are wanted. Velocity sensitivity just gets in my way most of the time.

For reverb sends especially, I want to be able to "feel" where a value is. For instance, while mixing I may know from intuition or from having just done it seconds earlier, the value of reverb send level I need to dial in. Currently, the only reliable way to hit that amount is to watch the knob's readout. There is no one physical position to be learned because it depends on how fast I turn the knob. Possibly several knob revolutions. With an analog knob, one can learn how much of a twist is needed. Not so on S6, and not what I want.

This really should be a preference. One size does not fit all. I look forward to fader flip (soon please?) which will sidestep this problem, but even better would be a preference.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Avid

As I said above...look for the knob acceleration and speed prefs in v2.0 later this month......and hopefully flip if we can iron out the last few bugs.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I just played with the EQ3 Freq resolution when set to notch and whilst not quite as fine as using a mouse and option modifier, it wasn't very far off
Hi Eddie, I missed this post earlier.

Notching steady tones out of dialog is an extremely common excersie and this is about as close to a real world example as I can get. I hope it demonstrates the value of very fine control.

Create an audio or aux input track.
Instantiate Signal gen in slot A, set to 950hz sinetone
Instantiate EQ3 in slot B, set to notch mode, Q10.
Type in an EQ3 frequency of 950hz. This should give near-perfect notch.

Using S6 knob, see how close you can come to total notch
Repeat using mouse and modifier (command on Mac)

I am not able to get a complete notch either way, unless I type it in, but I can come noticeably closer with mouse no matter where I started. I would hope that S6 would allow me to do better than the mouse.