Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Default Re: S6 bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
I've had the occasional issues with solos behaving strangely, and faders linking to each other that were not grouped. Always seems to resolve if I bank away and then back again. Also had issues with the soft keys on the master and automation modules going to sleep if not used for a while. Again resolved by banking to next page and back again on the soft keys menus.

What I have been experiencing the last couple of days though is protools crashing when I attention a track. After doing a lot of troubleshooting I have narrowed it down to a problem with Kontakt 5 running 3rd party sample libraries, and Omnisphere. If I have these active in the session I have to set a very high buffer (1024 samples), and if I attention a track, even an audio track with no plugins on it, protools will sometimes crash. At the moment I am getting around it by offline bouncing these VI's, but hope they fix it soon (I think the problem here is with PT 11.2 software, not the S6 directly). Anyone else experiencing PT crashing when attentioning a track?
What version of Kontakt 5 are you running? If it's the latest update there are issues with third party libraries running inside K5. The only thing the last update bought to the table is to make K5 work inside Komplete Control (for which you don't need the NI keyboard controller) software.

QAPLA!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Word on the street is that xmon was a temporary solution until they finish developing the 'real' monitoring option for the S6. It wasn't finished in time, but they didn't want to hold back the release of the S6.

If that is true, I hope they decide to offer a trade-up program from xmon to the new solution when it becomes available.

Unbelievable. How can companies be okay with this kind of thing? Why are WE okay with it???

I doubt many of us let an album go out with clicks, pops, bad edits, missed punches, etc.

Why do we support that type of behaviour?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Unbelievable. How can companies be okay with this kind of thing? Why are WE okay with it???

I doubt many of us let an album go out with clicks, pops, bad edits, missed punches, etc.

Why do we support that type of behaviour?
You can't really believe any "word on the street" posts. Who really knows? If the xmon is a temp fix, Avid will call the replacement an upgrade. My thought it it's the actual current solution. Avid already invested in the r and d for it and it's software and it's serviceable. Also, if you are upgrading from a icon. Your studio is already wired for a xmon.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-25-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You can't really believe any "word on the street" posts. Who really knows? If the xmon is a temp fix, Avid will call the replacement an upgrade. My thought it it's the actual current solution. Avid already invested in the r and d for it and it's software and it's serviceable. Also, if you are upgrading from a icon. Your studio is already wired for a xmon.
I agree. I didn't intend on starting some Avid-bashing with the post about Xmon. It's a product that has been out for a long time, and will eventually be replaced by something better. If what I was told is true, I'd have to agree with Avid releasing the S6 with the Xmon instead of waiting to develop a new solution. The sooner the better- to get feedback from users on further development.

Personally, I'm very optimistic about a modular system that is software upgradable. I think the S6 is a major step in the right direction. Bugs will be fixed.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:24 AM

Is there any digital monitoring (except Neyrinck's V-Mon) solution for these consoles? Something that could be controlled from the console's monitoring section, just like the X-mon?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Is there any digital monitoring (except Neyrinck's V-Mon) solution for these consoles? Something that could be controlled from the console's monitoring section, just like the X-mon?
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=359231

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Avid

Hi Guys,

Couple things in order of importance:

1. If you are experiencing behavior that you think is a bug, please use your included support code and report it. You can post here if you want to see if other people are seeing the same behavior, but call it in regardless. Version 1.3 has bug fixes and is due out relatively soon.

2. There is something we are looking into with the XMON where the MIDI port doesn’t seem to remember its setting, especially if the order changes (say someone plugging in a keyboard, or an adapter coming up after XMON EUCON is launched).

3. When you purchase the S6, you have the choice to not purchase the analogue based XMON and go with an alternative monitor solution. Besides the Avid digital solution called Studio Monitor Pro, there are more and more third party solutions coming on the market that integrate with the S6. I'll try to gather all of that info and post a blog soon to clearly spell them out.

Hope this helps,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Default S6 bugs

Ok Tom.
Is 1.3 imminent ?
I could really do with moving PT to 11.2.1 for the ADC fix.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 10-27-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
3. When you purchase the S6, you have the choice to not purchase the analogue based XMON and go with an alternative monitor solution. Besides the Avid digital solution called Studio Monitor Pro, there are more and more third party solutions coming on the market that integrate with the S6. I'll try to gather all of that info and post a blog soon to clearly spell them out.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Thanks for chiming in Tom. As I understand it, S6 M10 customers were not given the option to drop XMON. Is that correct?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post

Hope this helps,
Tom

Hi Tom,
I wasn't given the option to not buy the Xmon. Can I return it? I haven't even opened the box and will not be using it.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme