Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Disappointed with PT 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Right. Also, any 13 year old geek can write a program or virus for PC so yah, they require special attention. Apple has done a great job at limiting issues by building everything within, but you pay for it on the front end. The biggest issue with Mac and PC is lack of understanding that with a PC you gotta do a little more research on what will work together then build it yourself, and you gotta find the proper drivers. Once you understand that there really is no difference or big deal. Perhaps I've been really fortunate with the gear and plugs I buy because I have never had any driver issues that made me wanna work on a Mac. No one can tell me my Macbook and iMac are more stable than the PC's I built for anything. I use them both everyday with no problems.
Again, +1.
I've been rather fortunate too.
I used to get sooooo frustrated when some would post angry threads, often directed at the devs, when their "DAW" was littered with games, utilities, and internet access!

Please people - have a dedicated music only machine as your DAW. Don't let anything else go anywhere near it!
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
Again, +1.
I've been rather fortunate too.
I used to get sooooo frustrated when some would post angry threads, often directed at the devs, when their "DAW" was littered with games, utilities, and internet access!

Please people - have a dedicated music only machine as your DAW. Don't let anything else go anywhere near it!
Yeah, I use to get frustrated with that too. Sort of like folks debating endlessly over which DAW is better. With PC, it is almost always a user error OR one trying to run Lord of War on a Dell that came in a Cracker Jack box, then claiming PC's suck then spending 3 grand on an "Intel" driven computer with an Apple logo on it.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM

It's not to say that those like DeyBwah aren't having genuine problems, I'm just reitterating that Windows machines can be more prone to errors for a variety of reasons, and even more so for those who choose to fill them up with non-music-making software.
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Hm I already followed the I7 Thread but I still have those Runtime errors sometimes. see here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292169
Any idea how to find out what exactly is going wrong ?
How to find the failure ?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Macs are generally more stable with PT than PCs. So for those who have NEVER had any issues, I'm betting most in that camp are Mac users.

Bottom line, I'm not talking about PT vs REAPER here as much as I'm talking about PT vs PT. I think PT is a great app, when it WORKS. That's precisely the problem here. It's not working right.

The hobos know, I'm no stranger to PT and its issues. Just search my post/thread history. I've done the Sandra thing to death, formatting, optimizing, etc...

In fact, I got so frustrated that I actually had my DAW PC custom built by Jim Roseberry of http://www.studiocat.com. He's a DAW PC guru, has built hundreds of stable DAW systems for some notable artists' private studios.

Anyway, I'm obviously frustrated; it's easy for those of you with stable systems to think there's nothing seriously wrong with PT. PT is infamous for stability issues and bugs. The code base is over 10 years old and in dire need of a complete overhaul. I'll be posting my Sandra report soon, I know the drill. Just don't feel like dealing with this crap on my birthday weekend. I just seriously was shocked to find the same crippling issues in PT9. I guess I shouldn't have been, considering my long history of wrestling with PT issues.

Nice seeing some familiar faces in here.

Cheers!

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
Hm I already followed the I7 Thread but I still have those Access Violation errors sometimes. see here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292169
I just did this from your thread:

Here is how you can reproduce it:

1.) Open the Project
2.) AudioSuite/Other/Normalize
3.) settings: overwrite Files, Region By region, Level on Each Chan/Track
4.) Continue with Destructive Normalize

Did not crash here in PT 9.0.1. Is it your interface, a 3rd party plugin, or PT9? This issue for you is indeed very serious. However, claiming "PT9" being unstable is the reason for you selling your rig (and others giving Mac jabs ) raises questions because I did not get the error after doing the same function (according to your instructions).

Your Sandra looks cool. Just to note (and not saying this is your problem) you have Hitachi, WD Blue, and RE drives. Cavier Black is great for PT. It is a great single multitasking drive with PT not supporting RAID. RE and Cavier Black are not far apart regarding performance but RE is built specifically for RAID and just might cause instability in PT. I could be totally wrong but just making an educated guess, but many of us are using Cavier Blacks.

Also, your video card is 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. With DDR2 and PT9 you may get better performance with a 128MB video card that does not have a fan, which is recommend on the Core 2 Series thread. It also says regarding 1066 Vs 800 MHz, 1066 5-5-5-15 or better is preferred. You have DDR2-800 5-5-5-18.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Macs are generally more stable with PT than PCs. So for those who have NEVER had any issues, I'm betting most in that camp are Mac users.

Bottom line, I'm not talking about PT vs REAPER here as much as I'm talking about PT vs PT. I think PT is a great app, when it WORKS. That's precisely the problem here. It's not working right.

The hobos know, I'm no stranger to PT and its issues. Just search my post/thread history. I've done the Sandra thing to death, formatting, optimizing, etc...

In fact, I got so frustrated that I actually had my DAW PC custom built by Jim Roseberry of http://www.studiocat.com. He's a DAW PC guru, has built hundreds of stable DAW systems for some notable artists' private studios.

Anyway, I'm obviously frustrated; it's easy for those of you with stable systems to think there's nothing seriously wrong with PT. PT is infamous for stability issues and bugs. The code base is over 10 years old and in dire need of a complete overhaul. I'll be posting my Sandra report soon, I know the drill. Just don't feel like dealing with this crap on my birthday weekend. I just seriously was shocked to find the same crippling issues in PT9. I guess I shouldn't have been, considering my long history of wrestling with PT issues.

Nice seeing some familiar faces in here.

Cheers!
If the entire list of Grammy Award winning engineers use Mac (and they all probably do ) that still does not make your generalization accurate. No one is saying that you aren't having problems with PT9 and your PC. We are saying that you can't just write off PT9 and PC's because a lot of us are fine on Win7 64 bit and PT9. I'm sure Steve Jobs will welcome you with open arms. As long as we are making music at the end of the day then it really doesn't matter.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Man have you seen the probs in this forum once again. Like the 003 issue WTF, defective product I say, those guys units are not working as advertised Avid knows its a 003 issue and have stated it, but still continue the install, reinstall, hop on one foot, turn around, rubb your head, pat your belly dance. Good thing Avid is not based in Pakistan there would be beheadings.

And thats just one of a gaggle of issues that are not PC, MAC, or user related.

Ive said this before, only "some Pintos" exploded and burned people alive back in the 70's, other than that Ford is the "industry standard" in US cars. And all the owners out there that had a Pinto that ran fine and with no trouble, dont make a fats, rats, arse to the ones who roasted.

Excluding all the folks that have gimped set ups, or dont bother to read what it is that PTLS exactly needs to operate as advertised, there are a gaul bladder load of probs, querks, bugs, and idiosyncrasies that are far beyond the pale of what a "General Consumer" should have to deal with, let alone anyone making money from it.

Hey but what about the new Venom, dont look in this hand, look in the other hand.
Im not saying it is, but its has the whole "feel" of snake oil salesmen. Creepy. Or a whole company division scrambling to get their thumbs out of their arse.(Not you DTS, I know how sensitive you guys can be somtimes, you guys are the customer service punching baggs, and I do feel sorry for the ones posting here, bad postion to be in.)

DTS, anyone, know if the coding is contracted out to android over in the Czech repub(I think)? My State Dpt contacts are retired or I would find out.

Avid take some of the profits you guys just made from all the "beta" you sold to us lately and dedicate a team of coders to solve the long standing issues. Work em 8 to 5 every stinkin day until its fixed. If they cant fix it fire them and get some one who can.

Just an idea. So what if you loose a little $ on the front end, youll more than make it up Im sure.

I like Jags. "When they run".
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio
Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM

I think there is a long list of Grammy Award winning engineers that use MACs today because somewhere along the line someone or something set a precedent for MACs being more stable.

The truth is that PCs can be just as stable by simply setting things up a little differently.
Meaning, Windows requires a different set of steps (albeit a greater number of steps) to make a typical machine DAW-perfect than that of a MAC.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM

True I have both but my fav is Snow leapord on a PC it will smoke the Dverd count than my MTP(2.1) and the W7 rig. But its just for playing at the house, you know just to see whats what.
BLA AGB,Autuer,Lucid,
MicroCLock, Pultec, UA, Sebatron, Focusrite, Trident,API, A-Designs, Purple Audio