Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
I'm not aware of a problem with the Dominator being DOA, I've bought 8 GBs of the XMS between 2 builds and its all been fine. New eggs reveiws is a good place to check for a DOA problem.
Anyone else using Dominator RAM run into any issues with the Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP? I am stuck waiting to complete by build while I RMA the Dominator and get new ones from NewEgg. I was sure to buy memory off the approved memory vendors list but I got unlucky I guess. I read a bunch of posts on Asus forum of quite a few people having issues with DDR2 1066 and the P5K. Some work people build and are off running with no issues while others struggle to get the board running and 1066 or at all, like me. At this point I am even think about returning to the P5K Deluxe and waiting for and X38 board. Wonder what issues that will have! I have built approximately 15 DAWs for PT over the past 7 years (both AMD and Intel based). This is the first build that derailed beyond repair. I guess that is a good hit ratio. Sorry to ramble...

To close, what is the general consensus on reliability for these P5K builds. What is the fastest build configuration while remaining 100% reliable? Should I back track to the P5B? Is the P5K Deluxe a really sanative build?

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not aware of a problem with the Dominator being DOA, I've bought 8 GBs of the XMS between 2 builds and its all been fine. New eggs reveiws is a good place to check for a DOA problem.
Anyone else using Dominator RAM run into any issues with the Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP? I am stuck waiting to complete by build while I RMA the Dominator and get new ones from NewEgg. I was sure to buy memory off the approved memory vendors list but I got unlucky I guess. I read a bunch of posts on Asus forum of quite a few people having issues with DDR2 1066 and the P5K. Some work people build and are off running with no issues while others struggle to get the board running and 1066 or at all, like me. At this point I am even think about returning to the P5K Deluxe and waiting for and X38 board. Wonder what issues that will have! I have built approximately 15 DAWs for PT over the past 7 years (both AMD and Intel based). This is the first build that derailed beyond repair. I guess that is a good hit ratio. Sorry to ramble...

To close, what is the general consensus on reliability for these P5K builds. What is the fastest build configuration while remaining 100% reliable? Should I back track to the P5B? Is the P5K Deluxe a really sanative build?

Cheers,
Greg
Anyone?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,
Greg
Anyone?
G.roots, tho i personally do not have a q6600 build yet i have followed and participated in the thread extensively. sooo from all the input that i've followed and researched, i do not think that you have to fret the P5K mobo. and DUC'ers, and sunburst specifically, have gotten it to perform as desired and designed. users were able to OC the cpu, FSB, and memory when usin' the P5K mobo. so do not give up my friend. research and user feedback say the P5K or the P5B is a solid choice. i think the fact that the P5K does allow for a 1333 FSB speed is 'forward' thinkin'. but P5B is a solid choice no doubt too.

maybe volcalvoodoo can chime in since i think he's up and runnin' 24/7 with his new quad build.

FWIW, don't let the memory thing bum you out and don't let it make you second guess a 'good' choice. just my 2cents

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 PM

Yeah I would recommend the P5K to a friend.....the Dominator is overkill though XMS is just fine.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 PM

Thanks, Guys! I just RMAed the board and the RAM back to Newegg. They will overnight me replacements and I will try the same configuration again. I know the dominator is overkill but I have other long-term plans for it. I have some XMS that I can use later.

I will let you all know how it goes. What are the chances that I get another bad board AND memory again??!! Very very slime most likely but knock on wood!!

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM

I bought the dominator ram for my build because the xms was out of stock from newegg and the dominator was close to the same price. I hope I dont have the same problem, but if I do at least we can warn others to look out. I will know in a few days. Just waiting for my video cards to come in.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I bought the dominator ram for my build because the xms was out of stock from newegg and the dominator was close to the same price. I hope I dont have the same problem, but if I do at least we can warn others to look out. I will know in a few days. Just waiting for my video cards to come in.
Right on. My new parts will be here Thursday too. I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM

I got my new system together last weekend and here are the results.

Asus P5K
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS X1650 SILENT PCIE 512M DDR2 DVI-I
Kingston DDR2 1066MHz DIMM KHX8500D2K2/2G
2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB Serial-ATA-II 16MB cache
Samsung DVD SATA
Antec Sonata II - ATX, 450w
Microsoft Windows XP Eng Home Edition SP2 UK

I´m running Pro Tools 7.3.1 cs4+MPT with 002rack and Command8.

D-Verb 1 276
D-Verb 2 260

That´s quite enough reverb for me

Only thing I have been somewhat struggling with is the DRAM Frequency setting in Bios. Auto runs fine and so does 889 MHz. If 1067Mhz is chosen the system crashes in the Windows startup. Timings should be okay (5-5-5-15) and FSB freq is set to 266. DVerb results I got are with 889 MHz. CPUz´s readings for the memory are:

Freq :445,5 MHz
FSBRAM 3:5
5-5-5-15 clocks
CR 2T

Have I overlooked something? To be honest this performance is more than enough but there´s always a bigger fish...Otherwise the system runs really stable. I used to run PT with an single core laptop with 15 DVerb count. Talking about a step change here!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 PM

well i managed to do a dverb2 test and got 265
i only got 230 before i changed my memory to dual(in correct slots now!) and tweaked the bios

Asus motherboard P5K Intel P35 LGA775

Intel CPU Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.4GHz

Antec sonata II Case

Asus Extreme 7600GS Silent 256MB PCI-E Video card

Corsair TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory Kit (2x1024MB)

2 x 250GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II drives

Windows XP Pro

i'm happy ..maybe i might be able to start making some music now...yippeee
thanks again to all in this forum
..you are all great and i have felt in safe hands all the way following your specs and advice
Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
well i managed to do a dverb2 test and got 265
i only got 230 before i changed my memory to dual(in correct slots now!) and tweaked the bios

Asus motherboard P5K Intel P35 LGA775

Intel CPU Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.4GHz

Antec sonata II Case

Asus Extreme 7600GS Silent 256MB PCI-E Video card

Corsair TwinX XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory Kit (2x1024MB)

2 x 250GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II drives

Windows XP Pro

i'm happy ..maybe i might be able to start making some music now...yippeee
thanks again to all in this forum
..you are all great and i have felt in safe hands all the way following your specs and advice
Congrats on the build and I am glad its running good for you! The 265 is about right for the DDR 667, What interface are you using?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88