Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Waves iLock Autorization Nightmare

I started this ranting in another post but I thought I should move it so I can rant on my own thread! Especially since I have nothing better to do while I wait for tech support to get back to me:

I just installed, and am still in the process of installing, my Waves Gold/Platinum upgrade I bought yesterday.

Waves leaves a bit to be desired in install / authorization ease. The install CD has a Gold Bundle and Diamond Bundle.... where did the Platinum bundle go??? Anybody know? Acording to tech support I should have "installed the Diamond Bundle" but they don't bother to mention that I will then have to delete those plugs in the diamond bundle that I didn't buy. I tried installing an Platinum bundle that I downloaded... it wanted the previous installs deleted, I did it, then it wouldn't authorize. So I got to go back and re-install Gold, RenMax and Masters (RenMax and Masters appeared to make up the Platinum bundle...)

Then the iLock. To authorize the iLock your computer has to be connected to the internet. I couldn't find any information on how to iLock without connecting my dedicated DAW to the internet, and I wasn't going to do that. Tech support sent me an 18 step process to use my internet computer to do the authorization. Plus I had to download an iLock installer that I now have to install on both computers. Time to burn a CD....

So if I seem a little PO'd, I am. The plugs sound great but this is a PITA. I'll be on hour four of the install process and hopefully the last 18 steps.

Once I get them authorized all should run smooth from there. Although, when I launch PT it hangs for at least a minute while waves shell loads...

But they do sound good and I know they will take my recording to the next level. I've been using a 001 with the Factory Bundle.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Waves iLock Autorization Nightmare

Stuck again on iLock..at step #11... Waiting for tech support now. I totally want them to protect their investment but good god, this shouldn't take a day to complete. Since I just spent $1,000 on the upgrades I shouldn't be drug around by Waves like I'm a thief. I really have better things to be doing with my time. There has to be a better technical solution to this problem.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:41 PM

The waveshell that loads when you load PT takes between 45 seconds and a minute and a half to load. Without waveshell, I load PT in 45 seconds. With - it can take over 2 minutes.

I know that doesn't help but at least you should know.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-02-2004, 12:46 PM

LOL, no it doesn't help but it is good to know.

Anybody else have problems authorizing?

John

Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 PM

Hi!
Waves support is very good, and a phone call is recommended.

You have two choices for Waves products: iLok, or "challenge-Response." iLok use requires the USE of a computer with an internet connection, and that can have the "iAuthorizer" software installed on it. You do NOT need to install the Waves plugins, just the iAuthorizer software. Instead of iLok, and if no internet connection is readily available, they can be authorized over the phone as a last resort, but only if already registered (can do that with either mailing in the registration, or faxing the necessary docs).

Once you opt to use iLok, the challenge-response method is no longer an option for you!!! Be VERY aware of this. Waves iLok info

Also, Waves New Auth System has more info, which is up to date.

All the Waves bundles have demo's available on their site. The demos are almost always the most up to date version of their bundles. Since even a computer with no internet access is going to need updating at some point for most software (the OS, if a DAW, the DAW osftware, etc). How you plan to update these things is easy: Removable media. Since this case involves a PT computer with no internet, I am assuming you have a cd burner. If not- makes no sense. Write music, and then leave it on that computer only? Assuming it does, two choices: non-internet LAN, or removable media (CD-RW {drives are cheap enoughm to not have one is beyond me}, USB drive, etc). once again, without a direct internet connection, how else would any updates be performed?

If you bought the Gld-Plat update, then it is simple: Go to Waves site, and download the Plat bundle, CD-RW, LAN, USB Drive etc over to non-net computer. Install, and BAH on the Diamond CD install and "removing" plugs you dont want manually. Very simple!!!

No for authorizing: As I said- the iLok page on Waves' site details what needs to be done. Dont have the ability to do as they outline? Simple! Use the OLD method of challenge-response.

Waves has a forum they own and participate on on a daily basis. Waves Forum
Alternately, I would suggest calling them directly. Be sure you are infront of your internet computer, and have followed the basic iLok instructions on their site BEFORE calling them, with iLok inserted on internet computer, and up to date iLok drivers installed. The phone call should not take long, and you should be good to go pretty quickly.

Once the iLok is loaded up with the auth(s), it is back to the dedicated, non-net DAW, and then install the latest drivers there as well. Reboot, insert iLok, let Win OS find the appropriate drivers, and walla! Good to go.

If there is a specific step you have problems at, post details of the problem on the Waves forum, or call them directly.

I have used Waves for quite awhile, and gone thru numerous updates. I have spoken to them a few times, and they have always been great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:16 PM

I guess I'll call them because this has not been simple. I did try downloading the current Platinum Bundle but it wouldn't authorize. The Platinum bundle that I bought does not have a Platinum bundle as an option on the install cd. Tech support said I should "Install the Diamond Bundle". Didn't say anything beyond that. Tech support did give me an 18 step process to follow but it didn't work. It's been about 3 hours since I sent them an email and nothing yet. I guess I'll have to call.

It has not been simple, pleasant or easy but I don't fault tech support. My main complaint is I followed the directions they supplied and I'm not done and it is day #2.

Here is a copy of my email exchange with tech support:

First I apologize for the inconvenient of the c.d. but the one you should install is the Diamond bundle which includes the platinum in it.

In order to authorize the bundle to an iLok you'll need to use your internet computer (even if it's not your recording computer).

Authorizing an iLok key is available on any computer that has Internet connection and a free USB
port. Before doing anything, make sure your iLok key is NOT plugged in.
It is most recommended to use Internet Explorer as the web-browser.
For iAuthorizer to work please log in to your computer with administrative permissions.
Please take these steps to authorize your Waves bundle to an iLok key:
1. Go to: www.waves.com > Download > Updates – and download Waves iAuthorizer for both your
Internet computer and your Waves computer OS’s.
2. Install to your both internet and Waves computers, let everything go to its default.
3. Launch the InstallWavesiAuthorizer application. In some cases a computer restart is required for
driver installation. Following restart, the installation process will continue automatically.
Note: Win98 and WinME users: On these operating systems a manual re-launch of
InstallWavesiAuthorizer is required; please double-click iAuthorizer again.
4. Plug your iLok key into your internet computer USB port. If the “New Hardware Found”
wizard launches and prompts you for manual intervention (WinXP), click “Next” to proceed with
installation. Note: If the wizard fails to launch automatically you will need to install manually.
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. In the Properties window select the Hardware
tab and click on Device Manager. In the Device Manager select “iLok” and choose Properties.
Click on “Reinstall Driver”. The wizard will launch now. Follow the wizard’s instruction to complete
this step.
5. Log into your Waves user account at http://register.waves.com.
6. Click the "Authorize iLok" button under “What do you want to do” menu.
7. The page will display a list of all the products you have in your account that are eligible for iLok
authorization. Select and check the actual products you wish to authorize to the key currently
plugged to the computer, and click the "Next" button.
8. Enter your iLok serial number. The number should be on a sticker on your iLok key.
If missing, launch iAuthorizer - its first screen displays the key's serial number.
Copy and enter the number into the appropriate field in the browser window and click “Next”.
9. Double-click the iAuthorizer located at:
Mac OS-9: Hard Drive > Waves > Authorizers > iAuthorizer 4.2_9
Mac OS-X: Hard Drive > Application > Waves 4.0 > Authorizers > iAuthorizer 4.0.5_x
PC: My Computer > C: > Program Files > Waves > iAuthorizer.exe
10. Make sure the “Use license card” checkbox is unchecked. Hit “Next”, and another “next.
11. iAuthorizer is now connecting to the server. The page displays your Challenge and prompts you
to enter the Response code. In parallel your browser will launch and display a page with the
Response code. Copy the Response code from the browser window and
paste it into iAuthorizer. Click Next.
12. Your iLok key is now being burned with Waves authorizations. Once the process is done,
the screen will inform you of successful completion.
13. Your key is now authorized.

If your Waves computer is PC please take these steps as well:
14. Go to your PC Waves computer and install iAuthorize for Windows, if it’s not installed yet.
15. Re-install Waves products on that computer.
16 Plug your iLok key to your Waves computer.
17. Go to: Start menu > Programs > Waves - double-click “Unregister Unauthorized Plug-ins”.
18. The application will run a few seconds and exit automatically.

You are now ready to use your iLok key with Waves plug-ins.

If you have any further questions or problems please let me know.

Best regards,

Ittai

Waves Customer Support Team

-------Question/Reply from [email protected] at 2/2/2004 1:33:46 AM
From the email I sent:

Hi,

I just upgraded to Gold and Platinum. I'm a little confused as to why the
Platinum CD doesn't have a "Platinum" bundle on it??? I did research a bit
and finally installed the RenMax and Masters. Is there some reason you
can't make it easy and have "Platinum" on the install disc? I doubt I'm the
only one who thought they got the wrong cd.

Next question. My install CD is dated Nov of 03. It looks like there is a
more current version. I tried downloading the Platinum 4.0.5 and installing that. It told me to remove the Gold, Ren and Masters so I did. Then it wouldn't authorize, either to disc or to Ilock. I have an iLock and I'd rather have my authorization on my ilock.

Problem with the iLock, my recording computer is not connected to the
internet and I have no desire to and no way to connect it to the internet. It is after all a dedicated recording computer. I don't want anything on it that doesn't relate to recording. I have a cable modem on my web/email/family computer so it is not as simple as installing a modem. Why does this need to be so difficult. I just spent a bunch of money and then the past three hours?

So I got to sit there and re-install Gold, Ren and Masters all over again.

John Huntsman

Old 02-02-2004, 02:50 PM

Waves has always been helpful, but I do think their stuff can be a little weird.

I just installed 002 Bundle->Gold upgrade on my new computer. After registering the new bundle, I needed to contact Waves (by email) to get them to issue a new response (since it's going on a new computer).

No email response, but the Waves registration page allowed me to re-authorize, and all is well.

I'm thinking of an Ilok, so I can use these plugs on all my computers (one at a time.) I'm a little leery of it...

Anyway, I like Gold, looks like I'll get more of this adventure, since I'm probably ordering the Platinum upgrade.

Waves always leaves me wanting more.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:16 PM

Update:

I just spent 1 hour and 40 minutes on hold for tech support, pushing 2 every 60 seconds. After 1 hour and 40 minutes a recording came on saying "we are having system problems, please call back later."

No email from tech support.

I'm one unhappy customer. I deal with this later.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I just installed 002 Bundle->Gold upgrade on my new computer.
Hi tele,
what did you mean by this, is there a specific bundle for the 002, i didnt see anything on the digi or the waves site.

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2004, 05:27 PM

Hi!
OK- few things.

First, the CD you got may have Diamond on it. This could be them trying to get people to try the plugs not included in Plat, but included in Diamond. However, back in Nov, the only way to do Diamond at that time was to download the Plat and Transform bundles, as this is what makes the Diamond bundle. If the CD you got has a single installer, and it is Diamond, then Iwould suggest not installing it, and then downloading the Plat bundle, as is currently posted on their site. I believe you said you have done this, so all should be good there.

When uninstalling the Waves plugs, be sure to reboot after, and then install the current Plat bundle software from the Waves site. Reboot.

You do NOT need internet access on your DAW computer! Your internet computer can be used with no problem whatsoever for iLok auths.

With your internet computer follow their directions. DO not install Waves on this computer if you dont want or need to!

Your account with Waves- is the Plat upgrade listed as a registered, available product for authorizations now when you log in?
If not,this is the first road block to be resolved.

If yes, then does the iLok show up in Device Manager when plugged into your internet computer?
If no, then you need the latest drivers installed, with iLok UNPLUGGED, and then reboot, plug in iLok, and follow destructions that appear onscreen.

If yes, then your iLok is now available for use with whatever- and that means ANY- software developer that uses iLok as their protection.
Assuming "iAuthorizer" is installed on your internet computer, launch it.
I would also verify that your web browser is allowing FULL access for waves. If you have spyware protection, firewall, cookies disabled, etc, you will need to do some adjustments (even if temporarily) to allow the interaction between the iLok and the Waves server. If your hosts file has a block up for waves for some reason, the iAuthorizer wont work. If you have cookies and other stuff like ActiveX blocked, it probably wont work. iAuthorizer needs to be able to send and receive from your computer, and it will pop-up windows. If you have a pop-up blocker going, this could interfere as well. (I have not used the iLok authorizer yet, so I cannot say exactly what may interfere- I am simply relating experiences with other protection schemes, and ther iLok experiences that may play a part here as well)

If you get as far as here, and then get to "Step 10" from that email, double-check that Step is followed- that box must be unchecked to work!

Step 11- the fun one, and where you have said you hit qa brick wall.
Two paragraphs ago I went over many things that could interfere. As long as all I have said is answered with a yes and no where required, you SHOULD get what they describe for step 11.

Steps 14 and up are ONLY for the computer with the Waves plugs. I would uninstall any Waves stuff, and then install the latest Plat bundle software, from the Waves site. If your account said you are authorized for Plat use, then the current Plat software on their site WILL work. It WILL NOT work until you have authorized them tho, since you are upgrading. I would use the "Unregister /all" step without the iLok plugged in, reboot, uninstall any Waves, reboot, then install the Plat bundle, reboot, and then plug the iLok and and try em out.

Personally, I would have downloaded the Plat bundle from their site, installed it and run in demo (if still available) until the iLok was authorized. When calling Waves, I have left my number and had them call back. Longest I waited was about 4 hours. Email is very dificult to resolve problems like this, except when it is a customer that just can't follow isntructions. Then it sucks, cause Waves has to dedicate man-hours to something the customer should be able to figure out if he/she has an education aboove the 5th grade level. Since your case does not seem to be this, there is an extraneous problem of some sort, it is just finding what it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.